“One night visit”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Mirfield, United Kingdom
“One night visit”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Visited Kilhey Court last month for one night and wished we could have stayed for a week!! Cant fault this hotel. The whole experience was brilliant. The rooms are quite small but as we were only staying for one night it didnt matter. The staff were great and very informative. They told us all about the hotel ie when it was built and for whom. The meals were first class and breakfast was great served in the beautiful dining room overlooking the gardens. We had a walk round the gardens down to the lakes and will definitely go back to see the views when some of the trees are trimmed down to get a full view of the lakes.Looking forward to going for a walk round the three lakes. Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

Hi we got married here, and I can't fault this place at all, from the start to the end we had a great day and stay , the whole day was just amazing and we couldn't of asked for anything else and nothing more, the food was lovely, the staff we're great, the rooms we're all great little dated but comfy and clean so that's all that matter, I also had my hen do here (one of them) and it was just fab .... We all felt like princesses and had such a laugh and even thou we was VERY loud (drunk) we didn't get told to be quiet or anything they had a laugh with us the staff which was nice, it is great prices for a hen do for what you get and also for a wedding the grounds are very well kept and look lovely we loved the under ground disco/bar/nightclub part of it to, we would defo recommend this place to anybody looking at it, they really do go all out for you,

Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Jamie C
uk
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights for a birthday getaway. Hotel set in lovely grounds and near a lovely reservoir which you can walk around.
Hotel room was a little dated however clean and had all the amenities needed. Walls however we are little thin. Could hear full conversations from the next room!
We used the spa during our stay and have to say it was very clean and well maintained.
Breakfast was lovely plenty of choice and the staff kept everything topped up. We also had an evening meal during our stay. Quite expensive for what we received and unfortunately the main meal was only just warm when served. For £23 a dish you expect it to be perfect so we were left a bit disappointed after a lovely stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2014

A very nice venue about 5 minutes from Standish town centre.
The area is stunning and the hotel very pleasant if a bit secluded. Situated on the bank of two reservoirs the hotel has access to a very pleasant lakeside walk through trees which break to give exhilarating views across the reservoir towards the Pennine hills in one direction and the south Cumbria rises in the other. It has well tended gardens which provide great photo opportunities, with the old part of the hotel as a back drop or the lakes visible through the trees.
The rooms provide a reasonable place to lay your head, not exactly lavish, and in need of some TLC (thought the rooms have been given a recent coat of paint the mattress was firm on the edge but gave no support in the middle making sleeping difficult). The staff were very welcoming and accommodating when we arrived, but I felt that some staff were a little less patient when we were served our breakfast. I was not personally affected but a number of people who arrived after me were offered treatment which bordered on rude and accusatory, because they came in and sat down without waiting to be seated (there was no indication that this was the process, in fact I felt a little oppressed when I walked in and was trying to work out the process when I arrived as the reception for breakfast was full of staff and none of them greeted me until I asked what the process was) One suggestion I will make is that a considerable saving can be made by using Macdonald's own site or using one of the discount companies, if you are attending a wedding. as I booked through the wedding party at a "discounted rate" over a year previous and paid nearly 50% more than some of the people who booked separately.

Room Tip: 50% of the rooms in the annex face a garden wall ask for a room with a view of the grounds
1 Thank Geoff P
Copenhagen
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Booked this as a treat for a good friend and me. Little did we know that by the time it aarrived (17 May) we would both be in desperate need - she through an unexpectedly quick sale of her house, and me having spent an afternoon in A & E! (with another friend) A lovely day, with a peaceful relaxation room (we boh fell asleep) good massages, head, back and shoulders, Healthy box lunch followed by a delightful walk by Worthington Lakes, Not busy although it was a Saturday. Service friendly and efficient. As it is only a 7 miles from me, am seriously considering making it my "chill out" refuge for sressful times. Well worth the money, though cheaper on weekdays.

Room Tip: Only went for pamper day, so cannot comment on rooms
Derbyshire
Reviewed May 11, 2014

We recently stayed at Kilhey Court for one night – which was quite long enough.
I didn’t actually sleep at all as the double bed sank down in the middle, meaning that my husband and I kept rolling towards one another. Every time we moved the springs creaked.
The walls of our bedroom were very thin. There seemed to be noises all night long – if it wasn’t the loud whirring of bathroom fans in rooms nearby, it was people talking in adjoining rooms or in the corridor. At one point, someone tried to enter our room – unsuccessfully I hasten to add! All this was very off putting and not conducive to sleep.
They could definitely do with some soundproofing.
In the bathroom there was one hand towel and one bath towel – for two people! It wasn’t until half an hour before going home that we found a second hand towel and bath towel hidden away in the wardrobe
The Reception desk needs to be bigger. It is woefully inadequate when large parties of people are trying to check in.
The price of drinks was extortionate and the food was disappointing and not particularly appetizing. The coffee was so watered down that we had a job to tell what it was supposed to be. The overall impression is that they are trying to save money at the expense of quality.
I think we can safely say that we won’t be staying here again!

1 Thank Tabitha97

Travelers are raving about these Standish hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I was travelling from london for an evening football match at Wigan's DW stadium and wanted to stay over to break the return journey. Yes there were cheaper hotels available but probably full of football fans and i wanted a good night's sleep ! I held out for a price drop near the time of my travel and saw a price of £67 for a twin room on Late Rooms but I called the hotel and they matched it.
Breakfast wasnt included but I was a offered a buffet breakfast for £10 a head which I took. I think describing the breakfast as a buffet was misleading. The buffet breakfast was limited to cereal, fruit, croissant, fruit juice tec but did not include anything cooked. There was a cooked breakfast included but if you like sausages note that you are only given one sausage. Similarly if you like eggs you may be disappointed because again it is only one. I should say that what was on offer was very good so only an inconvenience if you are a big eater ! Breakfast is served in a very nice bright restaurant facility looking out over gardens.

The twin room was on the small side but perfectly adequate and i would guess recently refurbished. Annoyingly the tv was not working properly and I couldnt access bbc 1 or 2 or sky or bbc news etc. No problem with shopping channels though !

The ensuite was excellent with a very large walk in shower ( no bath - not a problem for me). However I did think it odd that there was only one large and one small towel provided for a double occupancy room.

The reception area and common parts were excellent. Sofas to lounge on and chat to friends and the room with the bar was first class (an amazing ceiling). I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel. Ok there were a couple of niggles but I am sure that if i could have been bothered to raise them that they would have been dealt with. The staff seemed great.

If you are in wigan for the dw stadium or anything else this is a relaxing venue.

Cab fare to the stadium is £8-10 each way depending on traffic

Room Tip: i stayed in room 402 which could be a twin or double and slept very well although the tv reception c...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Standish
The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club
Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel
Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel
Good Night Inns Bay Horse Hotel
Bolton Whites Hotel
Bolton Whites Hotel
#2 of 13 in Bolton
Best Western Park Hall Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Macdonald Kilhey Court? Share your experiences!