“Very nice”

Macdonald Kilhey Court
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Standish
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 25, 2014

A lovely hotel in an excellent location. Reception area rather odd for the type of hotel. Very good rooms and the restaurant was excellent looking out over the grounds. Extremely well fitted out gym. Breakfast could be a little pricey at £17.50, but very good value if combined with the room rate

Room Tip: Avoid one with a honeymoon couple next door
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ALSandALS
There are newer reviews for Macdonald Kilhey Court

Reviewed January 22, 2014

I stayed here with three work colleagues to be close to a presentation in Wigan. The staff are friendly and rooms fine but not very sound proof. I can't imagine why anyone would pay for the small crowded gym but its ok for a one time visit. My colleague had a room above the generator which woke him every 30 mins during the night. The restaurant menu features meat - particularly beef -heavily. I eat fish but not meat and the menu gave me two choices- a bean and mushroom cassoulet or fish and chips - very poor choice. All four of us went for fish and chips. Fish was fine but the chips were all very over cooked and probably reheated from earlier. Another issue is that breakfast doesn't start until 7 am which for us made time tight. The eggs were poor and one of our group didn't get his order as the nice but poorly trained staff forgot it. We only paid £68 each for rooms but a glass of red wine was £10.50 which is shocking! We wish we'd stayed at a premier inn as our experience was very bad indeed and certainly not what we needed having driven hundreds of miles and preparing for a very important presentation in the morning.
No one asked how our stay was and there clearly aren't enough staff. We all came away very disappointed indeed and agreed this is one of the worst hotel experiences we have had. We work in hospitality and travel extensively so we have plenty to benchmark against.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank JulesMain
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Have stayed at the Kilhey Court for a number of years - excellent location and superb setting - and was delighted to see the current renovation programme was well underway. A lot of the bedrooms needed an upgrade/refresh and the room I was given was very comfortable and absolutely spotless. I believe all renovation will be completed by the middle of February. Spa/Gym is well maintained and the food is always very good. My only complaint is that the breakfast staff could be slightly more awake!! However, overall a thumbs up!!

Room Tip: The standard rooms offer a fair amount of space however the executive rooms do have that 'bit ex...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I booked a Spa night here with my Mum & Sister.... The Spa facilities were good and fully enjoyed..
There is a huge difference in the rooms that have recently been updated and the ones that haven't - and this should reflect in the price (marginal difference), I had an updated room, and my mum & sister didn't - BUT - we didn't complain.
When we arrived in the bar - 4 of the drinks we ordered from their menu weren't available - when I asked why I was told that the drinks had been taken to the other bar for a private function!!!! WHY do they not cater to ALL of the bars... I was hugely disappointed, as it felt like we were being treated differently because we were not at the function!!
The food in the restaurant was EXCELLENT, and the 2 young serving staff were very well mannered - BUT they need to stock the bars up so they cater to all guests and not just the private functions.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gemma H
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel due to a family party, so not our choice. First appearance seemed lovely. Booked an executive double thinking it would be better! Not so! The bed was so lumpy and uncomfortable that we slept terribly and my back was killing me. The rest of the room was quite nice though, so it was a shame about the bed. It appeared to be an old bed and dipped in the middle. The breakfast was lovely - all good quality fresh produce, so excellent. If we stayed there again, I would insist on checking the bed first, as some others in our party had the same problem!

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I got married at the stunning lakeside suite in December 2013. I would rate the whole experience from, booking the wedding to the day after the wedding, as five out of five.
Firstly their wedding coordinator, Hannah, prepared a perfect personalised wedding for us. She was always very approachable in all my emails to her. Her professional and warm approach to us made us very confident in the hotel prior to the wedding.
On the day the catering staff was excellent. There was plenty of staff throughout the day and when I walked out to go to the service, all the staff came out and watched and made me feel very special.
The catering managers Jeff and Samuel were fantastic! They set the room up exactly how I wanted it, the venue looked superb and they did everything I asked within minutes. They even had the personal approach by coming to collect me from my room to take me to the wedding service. The food was lovely and we received excellent feedback from the guests.
All the guests were amazed by the venue, it truly did look magical. It was an unforgettable day for all the right reasons. I would recommend this venue for a wedding to anyone. Excellent value for high quality.
I cannot express how much I appreciate the staff at Kilhey Court, especially the ones mentioned. It was just another day at work for them, but for me they helped us make our wedding day unforgettable.

Room Tip: I believe the rooms in the 400's have just been redecorated. Upgrade to an executive suite or tr...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 1, 2014

My husband, myself, our son and his wife all attended the New Years Eve Gala Dinner last evening. The food was lovely and hot however service was slow (took 2 hours to serve a 4 course meal). The Lakeside suite where the event was held was lovely but cold. We observed people eating with their coats on. We stayed overnight in executive rooms. Both rooms were newly refurbished and were beautiful. The only problem here was, as with a lot of hotels, they were too warm. No air conditioning. A window was accessible and we were able to open it. Breakfast was a buffet style and was hot and plentiful. Staff were all very friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Standish
The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club
Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel
The Brocket Arms Hotel
Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel
Good Night Inns Bay Horse Hotel
Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel

Been to Macdonald Kilhey Court? Share your experiences!