Macdonald Kilhey Court
  • Pool
Travelocity
$67
$62
The Brocket Arms Hotel(Wigan)(Great Value!)
$49
$73
$65
Hotels.com
1,436 results
All reviewsspa breakspa facilitieslovely groundssteam roommain buildinglovely hotelrelaxation roomexecutive roomevening mealwedding breakfastbed and breakfastenjoyable stayfull englishbar areawedding venuestayed for one nighttreatment
Reviewed November 3, 2013

The staff here you could not fault, pleasant and only too happy to assist. Our room however left a lot to be desired. When we booked in there was a sign by reception saying renovation of the hotel was taking place, well from what we were to experience it's well overdue. Having said that when I booked this hotel I was expecting a four star hotel not one in the making. Had I known our room was to be so grim and depressing (see photographs), cigarette burns, dirty walls, a falling apart trouser press just to kick off with, I would have not booked it. In contrast our bathroom looked newly fitted was spotlessly clean, (apart from the plug hole in sink which was rusty, most bizarre).
I have stayed at many MacDonalds hotels and had great stays, so expected a consistent standard as you would be led to believe when looking at their website.
The lift leading from reception up to the rooms was not for those of a nervous disposition, the noise and shaking experienced as it moved was something else, maintenance of this needs to be looked at. The main part of the hotel where the rooms are is set apart from the bar and dining room, so come all weathers you have to hike across the grounds to eat or drink, fine in the Summer not so great on a wet October night. I did query this and was told yes, this is what you have to do, hence we didn't bother with breakfast.
One positive of our stay was a brief visit to the pool and Jacuzzi, this area appeared to be well maintained, pool and Jacuzzi were both lovely and warm.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
JeffMiddeldorp, Operations Manager at Macdonald Kilhey Court, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Dear Trixiee38,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review from your recent stay with us and in particular for mentioning the staff.

We are going through a major refurbishment to enhance some of the bedrooms.
I would like to invite you back into the hotel, once the refurbishment is complete and I'm sure you have a great stay with us.

Should you wish to discuss any aspect of your stay at the hotel please do feel free to contact me at your convenience. Your opinion counts!

Best wishes from the Kilhey Court Team

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Our room was on the small side but adequate with a very comfortable bed with good pillows.

The main letdown was the bathroom. The pressure from the electric shower over the bath was pathetic with the spray going in all directions ... occasional cleaning of the shower head may lead to a slight improvement. The grout between the tiles around the bath and especially at the shower end is badly in need of cleaning. On arrival, in our room booked for double occupancy, we found ONE bath towel and ONE hand towel crowded on a tiny radiator (which is bad practice as this was not a heated towel rail). There were spare towels in the bedroom wardrobe but nowhere to hang any damp towels to dry for re-use as requested in a note left on the towels. The most irritating fault was the temperamental toilet flush ... eventually found that three presses in quick succession was the only way to get it to work.

Breakfast was OK except for the scrambled eggs which were truly disgusting.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Bimfan,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. I was disappointed to learn that you experienced a problem with the electric showers, and I would like to apologise sincerely for the inconvenience this must have caused you. I have spoken to the relevant Head Of Department who has already taken corrective action.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in September. Booked three rooms two family and connecting The rooms were really small and barely had room for the bed we needed in family room for two year old. had stayed recently at craxton woods hotel which is another macdonald hotel and the family rooms
there are huge. Not the cleanest either marks down walls and shower dirty. Breakfast was ok first two days but even then cold toast. Every day. ON the Sunday buffet breakfast freezing as burners under food we're not even on. Complained and got refund of 30. Pounds off bill for 7 people. Had to phone room service about three times just for bucket of ice . Overall staff were nice but does not warrant 4 stars

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Jean D,

Thank you for staying with us at the Kilhey Court hotel and taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. Your comments and honesty is invaluable to us.

Whilst I am happy you found the staff great, I appreciate your feedback on for breakfast and the size and cleanliness of the rooms.

Best wishes from the Kilhey Court hotel team.
Jeff Middeldorp
Operations Manager

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Overall, poor-average experience. Not sure what the "executive" features of our room were but generally an OK clean room. Bathroom nothing special, if you're looking for a romantic relaxing bath on your anniversary weekend forget it. Radiators were noisy and, as we were in the old part of the hotel, the pipes were constantly noisy. Good blackout curtains though.

The breakfast was a redeeming feature of the stay, although at £15 each when booked online it wasn't cheap.

As for the restaurant in the evening, if there is a wedding on earlier in the day I wouldn't bother booking in because the staff are distracted with the clear up and everything on the menu seems to have been used up earlier in the day. The waiting staff obviously lack clear management and leadership - for example, on our arrival we were stood around whilst waiters zipped around us talking to each other in a worried fashion whilst a customer is carrying her starter back to the kitchen door complaining of it going cold now and there being no point in her having it, especially at £7.50 for 2 small fishcakes. Another irritating thing was one of the younger waiters shouting to the manager on a different floor to ask for instructions on what he should tidy up from the wedding tables - a little bit more self awareness would have been nice although this probably comes back to training. Once things had settled down a bit the main course arrived fairly quickly after the starter and the food was really quite nice (although not 100% as described on the menu due to aforementioned shortages). Didn't have dessert as it was £7.00 for a brownie and £3.85 for a cup of Twinnings tea (from that point of view, a £15 breakfast doesn't seem too pricey!!). Next time we'd probably eat in the local town/village.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
JeffMiddeldorp, Operations Manager at Macdonald Kilhey Court, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Dear Hayley E,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. I was disappointed to learn that the service in the restaurant was not up to standard, and I would like to apologise sincerely for the inconvenience this must have caused you.
I have spoken to the relevant Head Of Department who has already taken corrective action to ensure our guests receive the most memorable service in the restaurant.

Best wishes from the Kilhey Court Team

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Booking the pamper day over the phone was very hard work. Took 3 phone calls to the spa to book it as every time I rang I was told a manager would ring me back as it was a large booking and they never returned my calls. The spa was very accommodating when I needed to change the number of people going including a very last minute cancellation which they didn't charge for.

The treatments were excellent, we all had a facial and back massage which were great but be aware that the treatments don't last for the full time as described and when we asked a staff member why this was she replied it includes consultation times and getting undress! Really do think the spa need to state this to guests as we booked for an hours worth of treatments and only got 40 minutes.

Facilities in the spa were good but the major problem for me was the cleanliness standards in there! The main steam room was filthy, not only were the floors dirty but the chairs themselves were very discoloured and dried rust marks on the seats. It seems like the pool area needs a deep clean and modernising slightly.

We had lunch included in the package and we chose 12.00 as our time slot. The young waiter we had must have been very new as he didn't seem to know what he was doing. He asked us if we wanted red or white wine. My sister doesn't drink so asked for a coffee instead and he said that he would have to charge her for it. Even though we could get as much tea or coffee for nothing back in the spa area. The food was nice but took ages to arrive. Not sure why they have time slots for lunch if they are not going to stick to them.

Overall we had a good day but a few things stopped our visit from being amazing.

Stayed: October 2013

Dear Rachie10,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review from your recent stay at the Kilhey Court hotel. We sincerely apologise for the standard of cleanliness of the Spa which does not reflect our usual 4 star services. Your feedback and comments have been passed onto our Housekeeping team to investigate and to ensure that this does not re-occur.

We have recruited a new team across the Food and Beverage outlets which have now been trained.

Best wishes from the Kilhey Court team.