“Nice surroundings, shame about the accommodation”

Macdonald Kilhey Court
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Standish
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Nice surroundings, shame about the accommodation”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night with a wedding party. Surroundings and hotel grounds are lovely, we had room 413 and it was dated, tired and in need of a major overhaul.
Bed was so noisy and uncomfortable, bathroom radiator has been leaking for years by the looks of the rust running down the pipe. No plug in bathroom sink.

Made reception aware when we checked out, and they said they would pass the comments on but the hotel was due a refurbishment. Bit late for us, £105 for 1 night with little or no sleep is pretty poor

Room Tip: Take a blow up bed!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
300753, General Manager at Macdonald Kilhey Court, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Clubworldfan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I do appreciate your comments and take your feed back on board. With that in mind I have instructed our maintenance team to decorate room 413 as part of our on going maintenance programme.

Please bear in mind reception is manned 24 hours and they can deal with any issues that may arise during your stay. I do look forward to welcoming you to Kilhey Court should you stay with us in the future.

Regards
gm.kilheycourt@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel as a treat for our anniversary. Paid for basic room but they upgraded us to an executive suite as it was our anniversary. Room was fantastic and the bathroom was huge with a fantastic jacuzzi bath. Staff were very helpful and friendly on the reception and in the restaurant. Although the menu looked like a pub menu the food was Superb. the grounds are beautiful and we were blessed with a Su nny day. the bar prices are what you expect in a hotel. Around £3
,95 for a beer or a glass of wine.

• Stayed June 2013
300753, General Manager at Macdonald Kilhey Court, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Sarah0

Thankyou for your wonderfull feed back, it is good to hear that you had a great stay with us at Kilhey Court.

I hope that you will visit us again in the near future,

Best Wishes
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Apart from the body of the drinks which were very expensive. Not a great location. But nice enough grounds. Old fashion decor. As I say average. I won't rush back to this hotel no atmosphere and average staff.

• Stayed June 2013
300753, Manager at Macdonald Kilhey Court, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear Philipmason,

Thankyou for your comments and I am disappointed that your stay was only average. I have taken your comments on board and rooms are currently being decorated and staff retrained.

Regards
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Disappointed with our rooms as they were in the newer part and no better than the average premier inn. Walls ultra thin and could hear next door's tv. No bottled water in my mum's room, yet there was a sign saying if we took the bottle we would be charged £7.50! Took about 5 hours to get a bottle delivered. Bathrooms had the usual mouldy grout issues. Dinner and breakfast in the Laureate restaurant were lovely. Top quality produce cooked to perfection. Shame about the amount of dust on the dark wood features in the older part of the hotel...I wasn't the first to be tempted to run my finger through it. I asked where the decorative blanket was for the bed (mum's room had one and I didn't want to be charged for it!) and was told they were in the wash because they didn't do them any more... also saw huge cages of dirty linen and towels left out in the rain overnight...hope they get boil washed! In conclusion... lovely place and exceptional food, but housekeeping lets them down.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Fran B
300753, General Manager at Macdonald Kilhey Court, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Frannym66

It is great that you have taken the time to write a review of our hotel and your recent stay here. I have taken your comments on board and have spoken to the housekeeping team regarding your feed back. From your feed back we have taken steps to ensure that items are not missed from rooms and I am also investigating the feasability of building an area for our dirty linen cages that are collected by an external contractor. However, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your meal with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We came to stay at Kilhey Court on Saturday 25th May for a family wedding. When we arrived and went to check in we were informed that our room wouldn't be ready until 2pm, but we could use changing room facilities in the spa area, which we did. We then attended the wedding of our family member, which was beautiful. The food served to us adults was amazing, however the food that was served to my son (chicken nuggets and chips) tasted like it had been deep friend with onion bhajis, which was awful and my son couldn't eat it.
After the wedding reception had finished I went to check in and there was a discrepancy with the bill. I pre-booked the room via the website and a family room was £71.
The day before we arrived I decided to add breakfast for my partner and myself, but not my son as he wouldn't eat any of it so I provided breakfast for him, the lady on reception told me that the new total was £91.
When I went to check in on the day I was informed that the total of my stay was now £111 I told them they had made a mistake and I wasn't paying £40 for 2 breakfasts. She told me she would look into it and for now honor the £91 I was originally told. When I went to check out the following morning I was given a bill of £131 to pay, which was £60 more than the day before. I questioned this on reception and was told it was because we had had breakfast. I told them that I wasn't paying any more than the £91. This is shocking and made me feel like I was trying to barter for a pre-booked room and price in front of other hotel guests. I didn't charge anything to the room and opted to pay as I went for drinks etc. and to be told the morning that I check out that I have to pay £60 for 2 breakfasts is ridiculous.
Also the cost of the drinks at the bar were also grossly overpriced. For ONE bottle of Bulmers it was nearly £8, I bought 2 drinks, a double vodka and lemonade & a double archers and lemonade, and it came to £18.

One positive is that before we sat down for the wedding breakfast my son was complaining that he was hungry so I approached a young male member of staff and asked where we could get some bar snacks from and he said that they didn't do them but he would get my son a bowl of crisps that the chef's used for sandwiches, which I thought was very nice of him, I'm just sorry I didn't get his name for this review. Another member of staff that was lovely was a man called Warren, he was polite and helpful each and every time we saw him throughout the day.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DanielleHoop
300753, General Manager at Macdonald Kilhey Court, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear DanielleHoop

Thanks very much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I have taken up your billing issues with our Reception Manager and further training will be given to the team in order to prevent mistakes happening again. However, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards
gm.kilehycourt@macdonalds-hotels.co.uk
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed for a night in this hotel on the way to visit friends, taking advantage of a half-price special offer. We had one of the larger rooms at the top of the original staircase in the main building. It was spacious and comfortable. The bed gave us a good night's sleep. The décor was a little elderly and rather tired, but everywhere was clean and functional. Except the shower... nothing more than a dribble and therefore virtually useless. We chose to have a bar snack for an evening meal and sat in the lounge area at the foot of the staircase rather than put up with the rather intrusive TV in the bar. Breakfast was good and we enjoyed the 'full English' on offer. The dining room has very pleasant views across the lawn at the back. We went for a walk there after eating and explored the area around the lake. Staff were cheerful and helpful throughout our stay and I have no hesitation in recommending this place for a stop-over with rather more character than is to be found in some more modern hotels.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear AlanT-BO1

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us; we were delighted to hear that you had such a great stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2013

we checked in last Friday night for a 2 night stay.it was nice and quiet except my partner went for a swim at 9pm to be told pool was closed although in room guide said open till 10 pm.on Saturday we got back about 8 pm to be greeted by.loud music coming from directly opposite our room.i put up with it till 10pm then rang reception to be told music on till midnight but would ask dj to be quieter.didn't work we also had loud fireworks at 11pm.at 8am Sunday woken by loud talking and laughing outside room.was a group of ladies putting on make up & doing hair right in front of open fire exit complete with table and chairs.at breakfast table dirty no cereal bowls on buffet.no fried eggs long wait for both.

• Stayed May 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Standish
The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club
Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel
Premier Inn Wigan (M6 Jct 27) Hotel
Premier Inn Wigan Town Centre Hotel
The Brocket Arms Hotel
Worsley Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to Macdonald Kilhey Court? Share your experiences!