We came to stay at Kilhey Court on Saturday 25th May for a family wedding. When we arrived and went to check in we were informed that our room wouldn't be ready until 2pm, but we could use changing room facilities in the spa area, which we did. We then attended the wedding of our family member, which was beautiful. The food served to us adults was amazing, however the food that was served to my son (chicken nuggets and chips) tasted like it had been deep friend with onion bhajis, which was awful and my son couldn't eat it.
After the wedding reception had finished I went to check in and there was a discrepancy with the bill. I pre-booked the room via the website and a family room was £71.
The day before we arrived I decided to add breakfast for my partner and myself, but not my son as he wouldn't eat any of it so I provided breakfast for him, the lady on reception told me that the new total was £91.
When I went to check in on the day I was informed that the total of my stay was now £111 I told them they had made a mistake and I wasn't paying £40 for 2 breakfasts. She told me she would look into it and for now honor the £91 I was originally told. When I went to check out the following morning I was given a bill of £131 to pay, which was £60 more than the day before. I questioned this on reception and was told it was because we had had breakfast. I told them that I wasn't paying any more than the £91. This is shocking and made me feel like I was trying to barter for a pre-booked room and price in front of other hotel guests. I didn't charge anything to the room and opted to pay as I went for drinks etc. and to be told the morning that I check out that I have to pay £60 for 2 breakfasts is ridiculous.
Also the cost of the drinks at the bar were also grossly overpriced. For ONE bottle of Bulmers it was nearly £8, I bought 2 drinks, a double vodka and lemonade & a double archers and lemonade, and it came to £18.
One positive is that before we sat down for the wedding breakfast my son was complaining that he was hungry so I approached a young male member of staff and asked where we could get some bar snacks from and he said that they didn't do them but he would get my son a bowl of crisps that the chef's used for sandwiches, which I thought was very nice of him, I'm just sorry I didn't get his name for this review. Another member of staff that was lovely was a man called Warren, he was polite and helpful each and every time we saw him throughout the day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to Macdonald Kilhey Court Hotel, a perfectly accessible place to do business and to unwind, just 10 minutes drive from the M6 and M61 motorways directly between Manchester and Liverpool. Take advantage of unlimited, free WiFi throughout the hotel, a comfortable night's sleep and relax in the spa at the hotel. The hotel has completed a refurbishment programme to upgrade 14 bedrooms, rejuvenate the bar, restaurant and reception. Following a day on the road or in the meeting room, there's plenty of ways to unwind at Macdonald Kilhey Court Hotel. We're passionate about the quality of food that we offer, sourcing fresh, quality ingredients to craft simple but flavoursome dishes. Try our award-winning food in the Laureate Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Macdonald Kilhey Court reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Kilhey Court Standish, England
- Macdonald Kilhey Court Hotel Standish