“Family Wedding” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Family Wedding”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We came to stay at Kilhey Court on Saturday 25th May for a family wedding. When we arrived and went to check in we were informed that our room wouldn't be ready until 2pm, but we could use changing room facilities in the spa area, which we did. We then attended the wedding of our family member, which was beautiful. The food served to us adults was amazing, however the food that was served to my son (chicken nuggets and chips) tasted like it had been deep friend with onion bhajis, which was awful and my son couldn't eat it.
After the wedding reception had finished I went to check in and there was a discrepancy with the bill. I pre-booked the room via the website and a family room was £71.
The day before we arrived I decided to add breakfast for my partner and myself, but not my son as he wouldn't eat any of it so I provided breakfast for him, the lady on reception told me that the new total was £91.
When I went to check in on the day I was informed that the total of my stay was now £111 I told them they had made a mistake and I wasn't paying £40 for 2 breakfasts. She told me she would look into it and for now honor the £91 I was originally told. When I went to check out the following morning I was given a bill of £131 to pay, which was £60 more than the day before. I questioned this on reception and was told it was because we had had breakfast. I told them that I wasn't paying any more than the £91. This is shocking and made me feel like I was trying to barter for a pre-booked room and price in front of other hotel guests. I didn't charge anything to the room and opted to pay as I went for drinks etc. and to be told the morning that I check out that I have to pay £60 for 2 breakfasts is ridiculous.
Also the cost of the drinks at the bar were also grossly overpriced. For ONE bottle of Bulmers it was nearly £8, I bought 2 drinks, a double vodka and lemonade & a double archers and lemonade, and it came to £18.

One positive is that before we sat down for the wedding breakfast my son was complaining that he was hungry so I approached a young male member of staff and asked where we could get some bar snacks from and he said that they didn't do them but he would get my son a bowl of crisps that the chef's used for sandwiches, which I thought was very nice of him, I'm just sorry I didn't get his name for this review. Another member of staff that was lovely was a man called Warren, he was polite and helpful each and every time we saw him throughout the day.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DanielleHoop
300753, General Manager at Macdonald Kilhey Court, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear DanielleHoop

Thanks very much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I have taken up your billing issues with our Reception Manager and further training will be given to the team in order to prevent mistakes happening again. However, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards
Warren Wallace
gm.kilehycourt@macdonalds-hotels.co.uk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Chichester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed for a night in this hotel on the way to visit friends, taking advantage of a half-price special offer. We had one of the larger rooms at the top of the original staircase in the main building. It was spacious and comfortable. The bed gave us a good night's sleep. The décor was a little elderly and rather tired, but everywhere was clean and functional. Except the shower... nothing more than a dribble and therefore virtually useless. We chose to have a bar snack for an evening meal and sat in the lounge area at the foot of the staircase rather than put up with the rather intrusive TV in the bar. Breakfast was good and we enjoyed the 'full English' on offer. The dining room has very pleasant views across the lawn at the back. We went for a walk there after eating and explored the area around the lake. Staff were cheerful and helpful throughout our stay and I have no hesitation in recommending this place for a stop-over with rather more character than is to be found in some more modern hotels.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear AlanT-BO1

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us; we were delighted to hear that you had such a great stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards
Warren Wallace
gm.kilheycourt@macdonald-hotels.co.uk
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

we checked in last Friday night for a 2 night stay.it was nice and quiet except my partner went for a swim at 9pm to be told pool was closed although in room guide said open till 10 pm.on Saturday we got back about 8 pm to be greeted by.loud music coming from directly opposite our room.i put up with it till 10pm then rang reception to be told music on till midnight but would ask dj to be quieter.didn't work we also had loud fireworks at 11pm.at 8am Sunday woken by loud talking and laughing outside room.was a group of ladies putting on make up & doing hair right in front of open fire exit complete with table and chairs.at breakfast table dirty no cereal bowls on buffet.no fried eggs long wait for both.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

this hotel is set in wonderful grounds
clean rooms staff very cheerful and helpful had to have room service for breakfast as we were getting up early to set off for work (leaving at 7.30) and breakfast doesnt start till 8am. but not a problem arrived with just cold items and toast no cooked items as chef was not around.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
mike-cheshire-uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

The hotel doesn't look like its been decorated or given a good clean for a very long time. There is mould in the bath/shower (room 301) and it has the smell of an old people's home.
Check in was smooth and helpful but at check out we had to queue for 20 mins as there was only 1 person on the desk.

The breakfast was ok but the service was slow.

I'm not sure how this hotel is classified as 4* by the AA, I would have given it 1 at best. We paid £70 B&B or this room but feel a premier inn or travelodge would have been much better value.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Standish hotels

Preston, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

Visited just for lunch and was very disappointed as, locally, it used to have a good reputation. Beautiful building but in need of detailed cleaning and redecoration in parts. The waitress was friendly enough but the waiters we unsmiling and unfriendly in the extreme. The food is adequate but overpriced.

Room Tip: Didn't stay overnight.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

We had booked various hotels for our tour through North England, and we tried to stay within a budget, mainly choosing between cozy B&Bs and Premier Inns. When we drove into the MacDonald Kilhey Court's entrance way, we wondered if we had made a mistake - the place looked like an English country estate. But we were correct, and you can get an excellent spa and countryside experience for a good price.

Rooms are spacious and clean, the bath is very good with a decent shower, and we especially liked the spa area, which featured a nice pool, a jacuzzi, and four different saunas.
The restaurant is a little upmarket, but food was very good, and prices were justified for the quality and the setting.
We did not have breakfast as we had an early appointment at the Three Sisters Racecourse nearby.

If you want to dream of English country living, this gives you a glimpse of it at a low cost.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Standish
The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club
Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel
Premier Inn Wigan (M6 Jct 27) Hotel
Premier Inn Wigan Town Centre Hotel
The Brocket Arms Hotel
BEST WESTERN Park Hall Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Macdonald Kilhey Court? Share your experiences!