“Great hotel, nice location, ideal for a Civil Wedding”

Macdonald Kilhey Court
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Standish
GreenLeadersSilver level
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, nice location, ideal for a Civil Wedding”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

My wife and I recently had our wedding here. We wanted to choose a venue at the right price, one location, good food and value for money and thats exactly what we got. The master of ceremonies and staff were fantastic and really made the day hassel free.
The food is brilliant, scenery is great and we got some good wedding photographs. Considering weddings now a days are so expensive we feel we got good value for money....and the rain stayed off :-)

Rooms are nice but be prepared for some walking as the rooms are spaced out. The hotel side is a little warm (in the room corridors), but rooms are pleasant enough.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
South Sweden
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights end of June. Very friendly and helpful staff. Room a little dark and had a somewhat "damp" feel about it. It was located in the annex. On the plus side it was clean and the bed was comfy. The rooms in the main (old) bulding seems to have a bit more character. We didn't eat dinner at the hotel. However, the breakfast was ok but a little over priced. The grounds are great and we had some really nice morning joggs around the lakes.

Good with WIFI in the rooms but rediculous to be charged.
Even though we were a little dissapointed with the place it was an ok stay. Been there, done that.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2012

This is a large conference venue, in wooded parkland. The young staff were all extremely helpful and pleasant. The room was dark, and the bed not very comfortable. We did have a dog (charge £15 per night) which meant we had to use the ground floor rooms due to "health and safety" - we are just always grateful they are allowed to stay. We ate in the Lounge so the dog could be with us. At breakfast in the restaurant we could enjoy the nice views over the park and woodland. There are are walks around a fishing lake below the hotel. We were offered a very good rate for staying and eating here, presumably because it was so quiet without its conference business. There is a gym and health club, but we didn't use it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
300753, General Manager at Macdonald Kilhey Court, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Dear Guest
I am disappointed by your feedback on trip advisor and your feedback about my team at the hotel.. The team at Kilhey court are a very friendly team who pride themselves not only in looking after the guests but going that extra mile, and this is reflected in the number of positive letters and comment I receive on a weekly basis. We have taken your feedback on board and will work towards rectifying any issues in a positive and constructive manor. We do provide great care to all of our guest and Macdonald hotels are investing greatly in the hotel, team and the quality of the hotel, to ensure that we are the best choice for all of our guests.
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Kilhey Court is one of my more difficult stays to review. I stated there 4 nights on a business trip, including conference events at the property for two of the days. Arriving on a Monday morning, they did not have any rooms ready, though the property did not look to be busy the night before.

After returning that afternoon, I was given the Worthington Suite room, which was very large with a sitting area, two TVs, and a recently remodeled bathroom complete with a large jetted tub. Unfortunately, the room was also very hot, even though the heaters were off and it was cool and breezy outside each day. The windows could be opened slightly, but then my room would fill with bugs at night from the fields next door. There was a new flat screen TV for the bedroom side with many channels, but an older TV in the sitting area with only antenna access to 4 channels.

Overall, the property is definitely older, which is more evident in the hallways and main house. Though management seem to be slowly renovating and it does give a lot of older "English charm" to the property.

The gym facilities are nice and I was able to take advantage of the running trails around the lakes behind the property thanks to a recommendation from the gym staff. Another high point was the food at the restaurant - outstanding with very fresh ingredients. My room rate including both three course meals at night and full English breakfast in the morning. The small bar was also warm and inviting, and showed the Euro 2012 games during the week for the guests.

The conference facilities were adequate for our group, though the buffet-style lunches and dinners served to the group left much to be desired, especially given the great food at the restaurant when you order off the menu. I am not sure why there was such a difference.

I need to note that the staff were all very friendly and attentive and, as noted by other reviewers, the grounds are beautiful and well maintained .

Overall, I can recommend the property if you are in the Wigan area for business and want to stay in more relaxing setting outside of town. However, the management is still working through some issues, so temper your expectations accordingly.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Leighton Buzzard, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I would only stay here again if I had a good deal via the spa deals otherwise this is over priced for what you get. The Spa treatments and facilities are very good and you are well looked after.
The hotel is a little dated, not that clean and our shower could've been warmer and faster. Our bed was not that comfortable but I appreciate that is relative however my wife and I kept rolling into the middle of the bed due to the bed angle.The views are beautiful and the food was delicious. Again I enjoyed the food more because of the package we had. I wouldn't pay their prices for it though. Overall we enjoyed our stay and would recommend but only on a spa package

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor and away from the bar / wedding venue as the music noise travels...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
300753, General Manager at Macdonald Kilhey Court, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Thank you for your constructive feedback which you wrote on trip advisor. We appreciate this feedback as it is only by receiving such comments that we can hope and strive to improve the service and food that we offer our guests.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your overall Spa stay at our hotel, but I was equally disappointed that we did not meet your expectations fully. Your comments have been shared with my Senior Management team in order for us to continue to improve on our service that we offer our guests. I am sorry that you found our prices not be to your expectations, but I was delighted that you did enjoy the food that was served to you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to The Macdonald Kilhey Court Hotel and should you need any assistance with your future bookings, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2012

WOW!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot speak highly enough of both the setting, the venue and its amazing team of staff who will make any occassion a time to remeber.

This hotel has everything, an amazing setting with ground that will amze you, you also have a fabulous mix of old and new that seems to come together so well. We had many guest who travelled from London and the South who were amazed at what beautiful setting could be found up north and with such excellent service.

We could not have asked for more from the staff, from the general manager Jonathan, Sarah who helped with all the preparations to Tina who was like a fairy god mother on the actual day. I was overwhelmed at their attention to detail, even down to the young gentleman pouring wine for our table who quickly filled the mens glasses as the speeches approached, it is as if everytime you think of something they have already thought it and it is in progress.

A huge thnak you to you all, our wedding was the most fabulous occassion and it would not have been without such excellent staff.

Sally and Darren

Room Tip: Choose a room in the old building, they are amazing.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review that you posted. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your Wedding day at our hotel. I have shared your feedback with the team who are delighted that their hard work and good customer service has been recognised.

We appreciate and thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your memorable wedding day on trip advisor.

May I take this opportunity of wishing you Congratulations and to wish you all the best for the future.

Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2012

We recently had our daughters wedding at Kilhey Court and was very disappointed with the level of basic care and attention that we and our guests recieved. I agree with all other comments posted on the Trip advisor site. (All the bad ones). I would not recommend anyone to have a wedding here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank jswift55
Thank you for your feedback which you wrote on trip advisor. This is most certainly not the high standard of service that we wish to be remembered for.

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations with your daughter's wedding held at our hotel at the end of May 2012. My team and I did everything we possibly could do to make your daughter's wedding a memorable one. We do alot of weddings at our hotel with lots of positive and good feed back.

We did meet whilst your wedding reception was taking place and I only wish that you would have spoken with me to let me know how your felt. I would have then had the opportunity to make sure that we corrected this. Should you wish to discuss your comments with me further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Jonathan

Travelers are raving about these Standish hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Standish
The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club
Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel
The Brocket Arms Hotel
Premier Inn Wigan (M6 Jct 27) Hotel
Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel
Bolton Whites Hotel
Bolton Whites Hotel
#2 of 13 in Bolton

Been to Macdonald Kilhey Court? Share your experiences!