Macdonald Kilhey Court
  • Pool
PremierInn.com
$67
$62
The Brocket Arms Hotel(Wigan)(Great Value!)
$49
$65
$54
$49
1,436 results
All reviewsspa breakspa facilitieslovely groundssteam roommain buildinglovely hotelrelaxation roomexecutive roomevening mealwedding breakfastbed and breakfastenjoyable stayfull englishbar areawedding venuestayed for one nighttreatment
Reviewed April 6, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights from the Friday - Monday. We were traveling from Glasgow with our 3 month old baby to visit friends who lived in Bolton.
On arrival we recieved a very warm welcome from the reception staff. I had requested for a room at a quieter end of the hotel as not only did I want my baby woken by other guests but I also had them in mind too and didn't want my new born wakening other guests!
When we got to our room i realised that it was at the end of a corridor which seemed fine.What I never noticed or should I say thought about was that there was a door that lead to a set of stairs which took you to the health club.... and it banged every time someone went through it!
So from about 6am onwards all we heard was the constant bang bang bang of this door going everytime a guest went to the health club! At least during the night this wasnt too big a deal... but anyone who has ever had a new born knows how much you and your baby needs your sleep and lets face it we had no option but to get up at 6am due to the door banging!!
To add to all this there was a wedding on the Saturday so that night we had no sleep thanks to drunken people next door laughing shouting and who knows what else! I guess that wasn't the hotels fault but I still would have thought that the booking team may have been able to think about that at the time of allocating the rooms? especially when the hotel wasn't all that busy?
By Sunday we were shattered and thank full of the nice weather we went out for the day. However again come night we were to discover that there was two VERY loud women in the room next door!! Come 10.30pm I had had enough of my baby being woken up every time they decided to let out a laugh or shout down the corridor to some male friend who made regular visits to their room... so I sent my partner to ask them if they could keep the noise down. They said sorry and they were quiet for a wee while. They soon picked up again and didn't go to sleep till 5.30am !!!! Again this isn't the hotels fault but again the hotel was half empty ? why put us next to these people ?
The only good thing about the hotel is the staff to be fair. They are great and always willing to help. Although we had to ask every day for an extra towel for the baby as house keeping kept taking it away?! We ordered room service twice which was dissapointing. We would have tried to make it to the restaurant for a meal but come 6pm our baby was that grumpy and tired due to the lack of sleep she had so we had no option but to get her settled nice and early ao that she got as much sleep as possible!
The rooms were ok. A bit dated but they did the job. The rooms could have been cleaner as well , it didn't look like the top of our bed had been dusted in a long time!
I feel a bit let down as I was looking forward to this trip and the weather was so nice but by the end of it all I was left feeling drained and glad to get home.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank marion3785
300753, General Manager at Macdonald Kilhey Court, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay on trip advisor. I am very disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations during your recent visit. This is most certainly not the high standards of service that we continuously strive to achieve at our hotel.

I apologise that you experienced a few housekeeping issues in your bedroom and that you were disappointed with the standard of Room service. I can however assure you that we constantly strive to improve our standards and your feedback has been shared with my Head Housekeeper and catering manager so that this does not happen again with any future guests staying at our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you found our staff to be great and helpful, however I was disappointed that you found the bedrooms to be dated and that your expectations regarding the cleanliness was not met. We are currently working on a rolling room’s maintenance programme where we are refreshing our bedrooms. I am also disappointed that you had two disturbed night's sleep due to other guests and I can appreciate your concerns especially with a small baby. My night team do try their best to keep the noise levels to a minimum in order to make sure our guests do get a good nights sleep.

I am sincerely sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. I only wish that you would have spoken with me during your stay or before you checked out so that I would have had the opportunity to discuss this with you. Should you wish to discuss this further with me, please do not hesitate to contact me on gm.kilheycourt@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back soon to The Macdonald Kilhey Court Hotel.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

This hotel was pretty tired and dated. Our bed was really noisy and old, the walls were paper thin, and everything looked just a bit sad. Would have been better at the premier inn down the road, and saved a few quid to boot.

Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed April 2, 2012

The staff at the Spa at Kilhey Court were absolutely marvellous in rescusing us from a Spa Day from Hell at a neighbouring establishment.
They organised a perfect afternoon at 20mins notice.This included treatments, lunch and sparkling wine.
The facilities and the staff were perfect for our relaxing day out.
Our expereience is detailed on a blog here
A Tale of 2 Spa’s

We will return and would thoroughly recommend

Room Tip: only visited Spa
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Having been regulars in MacDonald Hotels over a number of years, we opted for the Kilhey Court as it lay in a good position for a stopover on our drive from Ayrshire to Oxfordshire and we knew what to expect, especially as it held a 4 star rating. To cut a long story, the Pros were: a decent sized bedroom with a well fitted and clean en-suite; a good sized attractive restaurant; very efficient and friendly waiting staff and really delicious and well presented food (both at dinner and at breakfast). However the Cons were: two nearly finished (but neatly sealed) toilet rolls (OK you CAN ask for more, but come on, why should you need to just after you have arrived); plenty tea and coffee, but only three small cartons of milk for two people (OK, you CAN ask......but why....... just after you have arrived). Then there was the bedroom heating. ...there wasn't any and it didn't come on, no matter which way you turned the control! Nor was the "heated" towel rail working in the en-suite. However, stuck to the (cold) wall heater was a dog-eared label which on close inspection read something about contacting reception if you needed the heating on. (This is in March in Lancashire, when you might just expect a 4 star hotel to provide heating without having to be asked). Anyway, nothing ventured....! Three calls later to reception, we did have a hot towel rail, but we still had no bedroom heating. (When we returned to our still cold bedroom after dinner, the receptionist did admit that she had sent the "engineer" to the wrong room...??). Finally a member of the restaurant staff did arrive with an electric heater (marked "The Spa") so presumably the health suite guests were warm enough. Final Con: having been asked at check-in if we wanted a morning newspaper, we had said yes please, but in the morning, no paper outside the bedroom door. When we called in at reception to report the missing paper, the receptionist asked, "Was it not outside your bedroom door?" "No", we said (through gritted teeth) "that's why we are here!" After a brief phone call, the receptionist reported back that the rogue paper was in fact waiting for us in the breakfast room. (Well, if we had been told that........!). Fortunately on this visit, the pros outweighed the cons, but most of the cons smacked of penny-pinching, which you do NOT expect from a 4 star establishment!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mossgiel
300753, General Manager at Macdonald Kilhey Court, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2012

Thank you for your feed back. I am very disappointed that we did not meet your expectations entirely during your recent visit to our hotel. Your constructive feed back has been shared with our Senior Management Team in order for us to continually improve on our existing service and standards. This is most certainly not the high standard of service that we strive to achieve at our hotel.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay and I do hope that overall you were satisfied. Should you wish to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me on gm.kilheycourt@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to The Macdonald Kilhey Court Hotel and Spa in the near future.

Reviewed March 4, 2012

there was parts of the day that was amazing ! but the attention to detail lacked deeply! the spa treatments was amazing we had the winter offer that was on and their was 5 of us !... you expect to be together but all day we hardly saw each other and mainly my auntie has been on her own all day ! she had to do the best things on her own and the only time we saw her was at the end and when we went for lunch ...Don't get me wrong it was good but lacking in alot of the things that make the day special i mean when you book something with other's you expect to be with them ... beverages all day ( rubbish) this is so not true the only thing that is available is water ! and if you like cold tea and coffee it will be fine :) If you go to the this one the people are so arrogant! i mean we did not money on us as we had left it in the lockers because after all drinks are free! and we asked for a drink in the restaurant were we was having FREE lunch! and they basically said no , because you would have to pay for them .. and the only thing that they was reluctant to give us anyway was water! They was very rude! and the thing that topped off this terrible day was the fact that we paid for a file and polish and then they turned round and said that they had not got time and they have over booked so no was no refund! after some very hard complaining ! we got a ticket to go back but i was looking for a nice wedding venue ! and throught it would be their as it has some amazing grounds ! but if they paid me to go back I would atterally say no !!! take my advice And DO not go to Kilhey court and go to bannatyne's They are so much more friendly and they are really good at making your day perfect
Only solo because if you go as friends you will just spend the day on your own anyway !
It makes me mad that i have spend £55 and this has mad me really angry

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for your review that you posted on Trip Advisor following your recent Spa Day spent at our hotel. I was pleased to read that you were satisfied with certain aspects of your day, but I was equally disappointed to read the content of your review as this is most certainly not the high standard of service that we strive to achieve at our Spa. We have continuously worked hard to improve the service we provide our spa guests as can clearly be seen in previous trip advisor feed back.

Your feed back has been shared with the team in order for us to continually strive to improve on our existing standards and service.

Should you wish to discuss your experience with me in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me on gm.kilheycourt@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to our Spa in the near future.