“I'm reminded of Harry Potter....”

Chadwicks Fine Food Emporium
Ranked #3 of 16 Restaurants in Standish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Chorley, United Kingdom
“I'm reminded of Harry Potter....”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

by the somewhat grandiose title here which I would call in to question somewhat.

Being a born and bred Wiganer I have to say that Chadwicks is an excellent butchers with a long and proud tradition in Wigan and whilst the diversification in to an 'emporium' and cafe rather than a restaurant is a great idea I'm not convinced by a couple of things.

The building is on the main road in Standish and has clearly had a lot of investment, there is car park to the rear which seems to attract the local nutters as we had a run in with someone who told us we couldn't park there when clearly we could.

The butchers is excellent, a real top notch place, not convinced though by the usual array of olive oils and such which seems to proliferate at every farm shop, deli, garden centre and so on.

The restaurant seems to be an add on - more a cafe.The food was perfectly acceptable although the seating was cramped and the service was average at best - long waits and we nearly left at one point.

Good for a quick cafe snack but personally I would stick to the butchers in future and won't be visiting the cafe again, grand title or not

1 Thank Thedragon22

Wigan
“Great Food but....”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I always enjoy the food at Chadwicks and regardless of the reputation of the owner and management, I still keep coming back for the food.
I have been dining at Chadwicks since around 2004 or 2005. I took my Wife there before she was my Wife, when we first started dating back in 2010. I have been back since with my brother, his girlfriend and my Son... he loves the breakfast and lots of milk.
As I said, the food is great... really... the problem I have is the attitude of some of the staff and the issues with parking. I dont know it this is still in place but they had a parking attendant. I just dont understand the need for it. Even people who have bought from the butchers or the cafe have to remove their vehicle straight away and not allowed to park up for an extra few minutes as convenience to grab something from the vets or any store nearby.
Ok, I do understand that the car park is for diners and people buying from the butcher. Its just the attitude that comes with it. Also, the last orders pub having a sign on their building blocked, intentionally blocked from view by a previously blank sign of chadwick,,, anyone who knows the area knows what Im talking about.
Business owners in the local area should be supporting each other.... but I dont think these guys play ball... parking in Standish is bad enough, Chadwicks are lucky enough to have their own car park

1 Thank Tom B
lancs
“Will give it another chance.”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is the second time i have visited this restaurant or should i say cafe! My first visit was a midweek morning the week before xmas for breakfast with my mum and it was fantastic, food, service everything was spot on. This is why i chose to take my hubby,mum and kids back for lunch on the saturday between xmas and the new year. what a disapointment, it was like going into a different place, once seated our orders were taken and then we waited and waited and waited, after 40 minutes enough was enough and for the second time i asked were our food was. i was told by a very miserable young lady it was on its way, she was right it was or at least half the order was the other half came 15 minutes later. Although mums scampi was lovely and my turkey was nice my hubby and the kids didnt enjoy theirs. My hubby had liver and onions with mash potatoes which he said was tasteless and really disappointing considering the huge butchers attached to the cafe. I think the thing that was most disappointing was the lack of service and friendliness that we had felt the week before. It is because of that experience the week before that i will give it another go but i would class it as a cafe to go for a quick coffee and snack nothing more and i certainly wouldnt visit at night for a special occasion. Very disapointing.

2 Thank stingfam
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

The best steak and chips I've ever eaten.
Really great service and atmosphere.
Visited as a famility and my young daughter was made very welcome.

• Visited November 2012
Lancashire
“Consistently Good”
Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Our experience of eating here has always been positive,probably go once a month,never had a bad meal,had no complaints about the service, we find it offers good food at reasonable prices.