“Filthy, awful, food made me feel sick”

Britannia Wigan Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Standish
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Filthy, awful, food made me feel sick”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

The visitor is greeted by dog ends and empty beer cans in the car park, plus several phallus diagrams drawn in the dirt on the bedroom windows. The staff are friendly but this fails to compensate for how dirty the place is. Stained and broken furniture, remnants of past guests in terms of their toe nails in the bathroom, food that was so appalling that I felt sick for several days afterwards. Do no stay here.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank jaci10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Verona, Italy
Reviewed April 12, 2014

On arrival alarm bells started to ring! Filthy windows, fag ends everywhere outside. Reception -dirty carpet, glasses and cups everywhere obviously not been cleared away, stained tables, seating shoddy , dirty and worn out. Disinterested receptionist gave me my room key I made my way via the dirty corridor again stained carpets, torn wallpaper , the lift had stains up the walls and a putrid smell. The corridor on which my room was located had a fire exit door which was damaged as if it had been forced open in various places. My bedroom was absolutely disgusting...the net curtain was filthy and hung down, the window locks were damaged and did not close properly the frames were full of mould. The chair was badly torn and stained, the carpet was stained and sticky, the duvet and pillows were stained. Interlocking door through to next bedroom was open and occupied by a bloke and wouldn't lock . The bathroom topped it off.....the smell of urine made my eyes water, the floor had not been cleaned properly or anything else for that matter.. The Lino was sticky and stained the pedestal had excrement and urine stains and the back of the toilet and base were just green and brown with years worth of filth. The bath was not clean nor the tiles or mirrors. To be honest I had seen enough and handed my key back to the disinterested receptionist and left the building gasping . She did not even ask why I was checking out. I went across the road to the Premier Inn and got a nice clean comfortable room greeted by friendly staff for just a bit more than I had paid for Amytiville across the road! Avoid the Brittannia hotel it should not be open and I'm surprised it has not had hotel inspectors in surely a chain like Brittannia should have the investment funds to bring this hotel to a decent standard and train their staff in customer service. Iif it were just dated and needed a refurb that's acceptable but not to be even clean as you would expect as a paying guest no save your money and avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: No tip as no good rooms
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
7 Thank Rocknrolla444

Travelers are raving about these Standish hotels

Doha, Qatar
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Don't ever stay in one of these hotels.... This is my second bad experience with a Britannia hotel. Unfortunately I was on an organised trip so had no choice but to stay here.
The room is dirty and dated. The room was boiling hot as it was above the gym and spa (I didn't go in there, I can only imagine how unclean the pool was) the blinds up at the window were filthy and the curtains were hanging off the rail! The pillows underneath the cases were disgusting and about 15 years old! There was water stained on the ceiling, marks all over the walls. Thick dust on the bathroom floor behind the door and in the corners of the room.
The TV was from 1970 and made a crackling sound when turned on and some of the plug sockets were broken!
I could go on and on but I'm sure you get the picture......do not stay in this hotel!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Katie W
UK
Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

There is only one simple way to put this - DO NOT stay at this hotel. I have been lucky enough to travel a lot with my job but never - and I mean never - have I stayed in such a terrible establishment.

The other reviews say this but I'll support them - the only good thing is the receptionist. She's helpful and friendly. That's it.

The first bedroom I was offered was a smoking room with the biggest, lumpiest bed I've ever seen - and I've stayed in some strange parts of America. The bed was all but unmade and the headboard was a dirty disgrace.

The second room I tried was a non-smoking three-bed room - offered to me as "being as far from the noisy teenage boys as possible". Reaching the room involved stepping over some guys who were drinking on the landing.

The three beds each suffered their own individual flaws. Most notable was the middle mattress that couldn't support the weight of even my overnight bag.

The mattresses were truly disgusting - so I was left with no option but to use one duvet as a base and another to cover me. I avoided touching the grease-covered telephone, bedside table and remote control.

Feeling pretty grubby the next morning I took a shower which involved darting in and out of the flow as the water flipped from freezing to boiling in a continuous, unpredictable cycle.

Again my only positive is that the receptionist was kind enough to bring me an iron. Although she confessed she was doing it herself because the rest of her team were busy reviewing CCTV footage to help the police investigating a car that was stolen overnight.

One final price of advice - if accidentally you should find yourself staying at this hotel - don't wait to be seated at breakfast. Despite what the sign says, nobody is interested in taking your room number and showing you to your table - let alone offer you a smile.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Micky_Moo_MooUk
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2014

This has to be the worst Britannia Hotel I have stayed in, I can cope with dated and tired but I cannot cope with dirty, after all I have to sleep in the room so I expect better.
On arrival the reception area was full of complaining customers, we decided to see the room for ourselves and make our own mind up.
The net curtain in the room was full of mould and needed replacing, the window was open masking a smell, the carpet was dusty and hadn't been hoovered in a while so no chance of walking around barefoot.
We immedaitely checked out and into the clean Premier Inn accross the road.
Stay here at your own peril.......

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank wendyf34
Tyneside
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I would not reccomend this hotel. Rooms are more than ready for an update.
Some were dirty. The resteraunt food was of a very low standard. This was part of a National Coach Trip and was surprised they chose a hotel of this standard

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank jb144
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2014

When you enter the reception area it looks OK, even entering the bedroom it looks reasonable at first sight. Certainly the bedroom looked clean enough and fresh.
It is only when you enter the bathroom that you see the big problem.
There is a lot of disgusting mould between the tiles and the once clear silicone seal around the taps is now completely black with mould,fungus and who knows what else.
It was obvious that the tiled floor had not been cleaned or even brushed for some time.
We were only staying one night with a coach break so I didnt complain.after all the hotel management must be aware of the rooms condition.

I now invite Senior Directors from Brittania to stay here and enjoy room 204.
It is incredible that they expect guests to put up with this nonsense.

Room Tip: hard to tell if the other rooms are any better you could try telling the reception that you are on...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bluemoon47
Also consider these accommodations in or near Standish
Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel
The Brocket Arms Hotel
Macdonald Kilhey Court
The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club
Good Night Inns Bay Horse Hotel
Britannia Bolton Hotel
Britannia Bolton Hotel
#10 of 13 in Bolton

Been to Britannia Wigan Hotel? Share your experiences!