“Avoid at all costs ”

Britannia Wigan Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Standish
Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

There is only one simple way to put this - DO NOT stay at this hotel. I have been lucky enough to travel a lot with my job but never - and I mean never - have I stayed in such a terrible establishment.

The other reviews say this but I'll support them - the only good thing is the receptionist. She's helpful and friendly. That's it.

The first bedroom I was offered was a smoking room with the biggest, lumpiest bed I've ever seen - and I've stayed in some strange parts of America. The bed was all but unmade and the headboard was a dirty disgrace.

The second room I tried was a non-smoking three-bed room - offered to me as "being as far from the noisy teenage boys as possible". Reaching the room involved stepping over some guys who were drinking on the landing.

The three beds each suffered their own individual flaws. Most notable was the middle mattress that couldn't support the weight of even my overnight bag.

The mattresses were truly disgusting - so I was left with no option but to use one duvet as a base and another to cover me. I avoided touching the grease-covered telephone, bedside table and remote control.

Feeling pretty grubby the next morning I took a shower which involved darting in and out of the flow as the water flipped from freezing to boiling in a continuous, unpredictable cycle.

Again my only positive is that the receptionist was kind enough to bring me an iron. Although she confessed she was doing it herself because the rest of her team were busy reviewing CCTV footage to help the police investigating a car that was stolen overnight.

One final price of advice - if accidentally you should find yourself staying at this hotel - don't wait to be seated at breakfast. Despite what the sign says, nobody is interested in taking your room number and showing you to your table - let alone offer you a smile.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Micky_Moo_MooUk
There are newer reviews for Britannia Wigan Hotel

Reviewed April 2, 2014

This has to be the worst Britannia Hotel I have stayed in, I can cope with dated and tired but I cannot cope with dirty, after all I have to sleep in the room so I expect better.
On arrival the reception area was full of complaining customers, we decided to see the room for ourselves and make our own mind up.
The net curtain in the room was full of mould and needed replacing, the window was open masking a smell, the carpet was dusty and hadn't been hoovered in a while so no chance of walking around barefoot.
We immedaitely checked out and into the clean Premier Inn accross the road.
Stay here at your own peril.......

3  Thank wendyf34
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I would not reccomend this hotel. Rooms are more than ready for an update.
Some were dirty. The resteraunt food was of a very low standard. This was part of a National Coach Trip and was surprised they chose a hotel of this standard

4  Thank jb144
Reviewed April 1, 2014

When you enter the reception area it looks OK, even entering the bedroom it looks reasonable at first sight. Certainly the bedroom looked clean enough and fresh.
It is only when you enter the bathroom that you see the big problem.
There is a lot of disgusting mould between the tiles and the once clear silicone seal around the taps is now completely black with mould,fungus and who knows what else.
It was obvious that the tiled floor had not been cleaned or even brushed for some time.
We were only staying one night with a coach break so I didnt complain.after all the hotel management must be aware of the rooms condition.

I now invite Senior Directors from Brittania to stay here and enjoy room 204.
It is incredible that they expect guests to put up with this nonsense.

Room Tip: hard to tell if the other rooms are any better you could try telling the reception that you are on...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bluemoon47
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

Arrived on a national holiday(cheap and cheerful),we thought we were staying in Southport but ended up here.first impressions were it needed updating..got our room,beds were clean but that was it..even found a half eaten burger under our bed..bathroom tiles were dirty,hair in our bath.on the plus side,meals were really nice,service was excellent,99p bar for 3 hours was good,all in all fir what the hotel was needed for,it wasn't too unpleasant

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank micras
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Stayed here on Saturday 15th March along with 4 friends travelling with National Holidays. This is the WORST hotel we have ever stayed in! The rooms were absolutely filthy with months full of dust and grime on the carpet and under the beds. The chairs were not fit to sit on they were so dirty. The covers were ripped and foam stuffing spilling out. The net curtains were grey and shabby. After several complaints to reception and the manager the rooms were re cleaned but still left a lot to be desired. The only plus point was that the bed linen was clean otherwise we would have been over the road to The Premier Inn!
The restaurant did not not fare much better either with dirty cutlery and half opened portions of jam returned put back amongst the new ones. Yuk! Needless to say we didn't eat much.
Seriously National Holidays you need to rethink before sending paying customers to this hotel!

4  Thank Sueedd
Reviewed March 18, 2014

stayed on a friday, drove up from south so was very tired. checked in.
room was a bit unclean if I am honest, nothing disgusting but just felt a bit unclean and rough round the edges... had got at a bargain price.. lovely big room though.. However, i was on ground floor and near the stairs and there was a coach load of people staying and a lot of them spent evening in bar.. all well and good but doors from corridor to bar were wedged open so very noisy.. and when doors were eventualy shut they were not doors that closed quietly. so every ten minutes till gone 1am there was a loud bang as someone walked through them. so a bit of a noisy so sleep quality awful.. that aside was ok. would stay again but only at discounted rate.

Room Tip: would request not going on ground floor
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Martin B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Standish
Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel
Macdonald Kilhey Court
The Brocket Arms Hotel
The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club
Holland Hall Country House Hotel
Days Inn Charnock Richard M6

Been to Britannia Wigan Hotel? Share your experiences!