“Cruel Britannia”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Standish
Gateshead, United Kingdom
“Cruel Britannia”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Before I start my rant, may I just say that all the terrible reviews on here are spot on!!! We stayed in the hotel on the night of the 22nd of February as part of a package with National Holidays. The minute we walked into the rooms we were completely disgusted! They were thick of dust, looked like they hadn't seen a hoover or a duster since the 1980's. Even the television remote was covered! Cobwebs all over the rooms, stains (blood, sick and God knows what else!!), the furniture was stained, chipped and rusted and there were hairs all over the sink. The room stunk of stale cigarette smoke and the fire alarm was covered with a sock! I mean, what if there was a fire... I would have died! I didn't want to breathe in the air, I was frightened. It was not just our room, there were others complaining too, you could see the dust at the doorways of everyone's rooms. The staff were not helpful at all. They knew but did not care at all. They said the hotel was full so we could not move rooms and they said they would give it a clean. It would take more than a quick clean- they would need Kim and Aggie to sort the rooms out, it was that bad! After they said they cleaned it, there was no improvement. They gave a hoover a quick run over the carpet that's all. And the room was still lifting! I did not get a bath at all, I was scared in case I caught something. I could not sleep at night worry and felt itchy.

As a travel student I wanted to know what was being done about the awful rooms because they are a health and safety issue. They had the nerve to say they were being refurbished. The reviews go back years... I got to 2005. It does not take nine years to get a duster! They had the audacity to say they did their best with cleaning the room- the dust was stuck in the carpet. However, you could run your finger along in it!

When we were out of the room for evening meal, it was apparent that it was not just the rooms that were bad. The carpet and the seats were stained. The service in the restaurant was awful! The crockery was dirty, they kept running out of bowls, spoons and glasses, the food was only just warm, the customer service was terrible- they never greeted anyone and when you asked for something, they would go off and not come back. There was one salt and one pepper shaker in the whole restaurant! At breakfast, the mandarin segments were fizzy, there was one sugar bowl, they did not have any tea plates and did not have any alternatives to tea and coffee. I asked if they had any fruit or herbal tea and they had none! Not even the basic green tea or camomile tea! I asked if they had any alternatives, they said they would check and then never came back to me. The dishes were never cleared at the table either.

During the full stay, we did not observe any cleaners or maintenance staff, which is very unusual!

They had comments cards and had the nerve to ask us to rate the cleanliness!!!!!! They also left a card stating that they are always cleaning, refurbishing and painting but sometimes missed things and to let them know if there was anything. I made sure I got my say on both of these!

I think the hotel is an absolute shamble. I have stayed at a nicer hotel in Africa of the same star. They are breaking the law in a number of ways: health and safety- with what I had discussed about the cleanliness and fire alarm, the Trades Description Act because the hotel description is not what is written on the website and breaking the smoking laws because I observed a review from 2011 where someone else complained about the smoking and the hotel stated that they have smoking and non-smoking rooms (and this is banned in Britain!!!) If a health inspector is reading this, I think it might be a good idea to take a field trip, but I would recommend getting a space suit to protect yourself.

Since I have come back I have not felt well. I have had a sore throat, sniffly nose and felt sickly. I put it down to this room because I am not used to uncleanliness.

Room Tip: Do not choose a room here.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Cazzy_x

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2014

The shower was filthy, the tiles were in need of a good clean. A large lump of black hair in the plug hole. (I am blonde)
Hair in my dinner Oh YUK!!!!
The place was tired and dirty and even though I complained about the hairy place no one in authority bothered to seek me out and speak to me about it.

Needs decorating, and a complete re vamp. What a dump

Room Tip: Our room was over heated! On request we were moved to cooler part of the hotel. Others complained...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Standish hotels

Hedon, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2014

My daughter booked a package with national holidays xmas present travel exellent. Hotel terrible Dirty, Tired in need of revamp. Dont think the cleaner knew where to find a duster or hoover mould growing on both sides of window, water stain on ceiling, bathroom filthy, back of door to room looked like it had had a drink launched at it and not cleaned. We booked a double got 3 single bedsin the room moved 2 beds together and the dust/ filth on skirting boards was awful.the tv wss out of the ark only got 2 channels and even then picture was only just watchable.went for evening meal soup was tasteless chicken on menu looked nice but when tasted it must of been cooked all day salad was all dried up on a plate.sat in foyer for a drink was freezing so went across the road to another pub / hotel. Breakfast notmuch better either could not wait to get back on the coach would never go again ! Avoid Avoid Avoid.

1 Thank 13lexmark
lichfield
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Needed decorating,paper was peeling ,architrave on ceiling not finished ,dust in the bathroom and hairs on the floor .two single mattresses made the double bed,which was hard as rock
Would have complained but as we used it as a base for a funeral we had other things on our mind ,
Sheets were clean,so that's ok,

Room Tip: Wait till they have been decorated
notts
Reviewed February 19, 2014

We stayed 1night as part of a coach trip to Chester and Liverpool! The bedroom was dirty ,no other way to say it ! although the bedding looked alright! Plenty of hangers in the open wardrobe, and tea and coffee facilities! The bathroom was passable ,old and rusted up ,the shower head was about an inch across ,and could imagine only a trickle would emerge from it ,so we opted for a bath!! The evening meal was okay , not a bad choice ! Breakfast similar ,full English type , but tinned fruit only and no yogurts or breakfast cakes! The general areas were grubby !! Glad we were only there for 1night ,and the best part of the hotel was LEAVING!!

Room Tip: 151 was quiet
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Stayed with the wife for a valentine break on Saturday.
Checked in fine and lady helpful.
Room was a suite which was old fashioned but clean. Tv did not work so reported it and was brought a new flatscreen.
Room in need of a refurb but hey it was quiet and big.
Bubby was fine as were the chocolates.
Had a few drinks at the bar and it was ok ecept for some locals obviously going to and from the loo every 5 mins in pairs taking something. One even removed his shoes and socks when they realised they had lost something. However bar area was ok. Not posh but fine.
Went over the road to the pub which was fine.
Evening meal was sort yourself out type.
Soup was nice.
Had to serve ourselves carvery. Chicken was dry but pork ok if a bit fatty for me. Veg was fine but could do with a spatula with holes in so plates dont get covered in water.
Pudding was just left on side and again help yourself.
No real atmosphere in the restaurant. More like a canteen. However food ok.
Slept well and was a bit warm but managed to turn the radiators off.
Breakfast was poor. Sasages tastless, Scrambled egg tastless, bacon not much to choose from as coaches must have had lions share. Beans, hash browns and tomatoes not too bad.
Coffee cold and very very week. The best part was the orange juice.
Again no atmosphere in the restaurant.
This hotel could be far better with a little thought and refurb. Cheap ish night away and we enjoyed ourselves but hey a night without the kids who wouldn't.
Have stayed in many Britannia hotels over the years and still think the Bolton one is by far the best.
Will ensure stay at olton next time. Southport ones can be ok if you get a good room.

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I use britannia hotels regularly for one night stop overs as they are generally good value and of an acceptable standard. We stayed at this hotel as part of a national coach trip, so the cost to us was not very much, but nevertheless it was not worth it. Valentines weekend, we had chosen this particular National trip as it was the only one with double rooms left available, so when we arrived at a twin room we were not happy. We rang reception to be told we could not move rooms to ne matching our confirmed booking. We decided to put the two single beds together, the carpet beneath the bed was crusted with dust and various left behind sweets and bits of plastic. The TV was a small old thing on a low stand which made it quite difficult for us both to watch, the corridor from our room to the reception stunk of stale tobacco and some of the windows were so dirty I wondered if they had been cleaned in decades!

Dinner and breakfast were included.We tried to order a bottle of wine, the staff looked through some boxes "this is white" (it was red). I guess £12 for a bottle of cheap rose eneded up being less than many hotels, but I would have happily paid a little more for some quality. Dinner was self service, a strange mix of soggy vegetables, soggy pasta roast pork, scampi and chips. The roast pork was quite nice. At breakfast the jugs of coffee were cold when we arrived and staff so few in number that we couldn't get any more. There was a single bowl of sugar on the coffee station for the whole dining room, so if you would like sone on your porridge you might have to go for a walk. The porridge (quite crusty) was strangely placed in the middle of the "hot" breakfast items, which were repeatedly running out, causing large queues to form as the staff were not keeping up.

We had come without some things and asked about local shops but apart from a garage (and a pub which we heard was quite lively) there is nothing within 10 minutes walk.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel!!!!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Standish
Premier Inn Wigan (M6 Jct 27) Hotel
Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel
The Brocket Arms Hotel
Premier Inn Wigan Town Centre Hotel
Good Night Inns Bay Horse Hotel
The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club

Been to Britannia Wigan Hotel? Share your experiences!