“Never again... Grim.”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Standish
Umhlanga Rocks, South Africa
“Never again... Grim.”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

£48 per night, booked for 3 nights.... And got maybe £25 a night standard of hotel. My room was grim. Think 70's pub leftover furniture, thinnest duvet (which was a blessing as it was baking in the room and no air con/fan) chipped and stained paintwork, 2 anorexic pillows. Dented wastepaper bin. Holes in the wall. Thank God the window opened, even if my view was a staff back exit door with a clear plastic cup full of cigarette butts in dirty rainwater. Lovely. Then the grim reality of the bathroom... Sink coming away from wall slightly, hair on bathroom floor (not mine) Shower curtains that were stained red/rusty around all the edges and stitching. Towels just about big enough to wrap around my hair, too small to wrap around me.
Carpets were old 70's pub style.... And the staff kept trying to get into my room at 9am to turn it down. On a Sunday, and a BH Monday. I asked them to come back after 11am, they never bothered- so my room went uncleaned for 3 days. Awesome.
Ventured into the restaurant on the 2nd night..... Hospital style buffet set up with no staff to be seen. It looked grim- frozen veg roasted or oiled to within an inch of its life. I beat a hasty retreat and went to the Pub over the road. I had to chuckle when I saw that they wanted £11.50 for a full English breakfast.... Madness.

The best bit was the fight that broke out between guests at 5am which had to be broken up by the police.... Classy.

Overall, no one cares about this hotel, not the staff and not the guests. Never, ever ever will I recommend this place or stay here again.

Did I complain? No... Because I didn't think anyone would be interested.
Someone needs to buy this place out, gut it and start all over again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lakota75

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Consett, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

You can't knock National Holidays midweek breaks. They are really good value.
Having said that, you need to be prepared, or some of the hotels might take you by surprise.
And so, the Britannia at Standish, near Wigan.
You get the three important things: cleanliness in room, good food, comfortable bed.
Don't expect to necessarily get the type of room you booked. We wanted a double, but got three (3) single beds.
Don't expect your bed to be made any day, but you do get a clean room with fresh towels every day, so that's OK.
Don't expect the red carpet. As National Holidays internees, you might be offered, indeed given, the least attractive eating slots: 7:50 breakfast; 17:30 dinner. A tad early, maybe, for holiday-time?
Don't expect great entertainment, unless you love bingo, music quiz and a DJ session starting with "OK everybody. On your feet and take your neighbours' hands while we all sing "You'll Never Walk Alone"". Personally, I'd rather not, but maybe I'm just a party-pooper.
Don't expect a good return on your drinks tokens, and this is where we see a really big failure by this hotel. The draught beers were bordering on warm, and have reportedly been so for some months. There is limited choice for token-based drinks (no tonic for your cheap-brand gin).
There's a good chance the hotel will gain from left-over tokens when guests like us can't face warm lager, so we gave them to others more thirsty than us.
But hey, with a trip out every day, it can't all be bad.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank raymoto
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My friend and I arrived and waited a long 30 mins for someone to turn up at the check-in desk, then when coming off the lift on the floor our room was on the whole hotel reeked of cigarette smoke. Our room also reeked, with the cigarette ash still on the curtains and window ledge so clearly not cleaned. Beds didn't have proper sheets put on them and the one lone sheet on each bed was loose so we kept waking up with the sheets off the bed because we're restless sleepers. The room had stains on the ceiling and walls. The breakfast was terrible with very few staff around to clean tables or service the various food sections. The cooked breakfast was definitely best avoided with their more-water-than-scrambled-egg, shrivelled up sausages and rocks of black pudding. At least the check-out was quick.

Room Tip: Go across the road to the Travel Lodge
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank xXAndyXx

Travelers are raving about these Standish hotels

Darlington
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Stayed here overnight with a National holidays bus trip. For the moneys payed £59.00 each for 2 days away, One night bed, breakfast & evening meal, Neither my wife or I are complaining. Every thing was adequate. We diddent stay in the hotel on the evening, We walked out to the left up to the village for a couple of pints in a local pub.
Although we stopped here on an organised trip and found it adequate, looking at the reports on here, if I was choosing somewhere to stay in the area for a couple of nights or more the this Britannia would not be one of them. .
It could do with a spruce up.
For 1 night ok

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Me and my mum stayed here during a 5 day family holiday with National Holidays. Our room was filthy the carpet needed hovering, the windows had black mould around it, the window nets where dirty, there was dust everywhere, my mum had to clean dust off the top of the headboards which were also stained. The food was decent but the cutlery was a little dirty. The staff where friendly and helpful and on the last day of out trip when we went to collect our bags after breakfast we spent 15 minuets locked out of our room.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 247
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JD1994
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I think I stayed at a different place to everybody else. My room was clean, fluffy white towels, lots of tea & coffee stuff. The TV worked and had a good selection of channels, although I don't go on holiday to stay in my room and watch telly. My 16 yr old daughter used the gym, pool, spa and sauna every day of our 4 night stay and thought the facilities were brilliant. Our kettle stopped working one night but was replaced immediately with a new one. Incidentally the water is so hot, you don't really need a kettle. We had breakfast and dinner as part of our package and enjoyed everything (considering the piles of food on other peoples plates, so did they). My daughter was really pleased with the selection of fruit and salad. The beef? to die for! The staff were cheerful, efficient and helpful, especially the gym manager. Oh yes we did have a rusty shower rail. Did I take a photo? No. Did it spoil my stay? No way, not after that beef!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jenny A
Fraserburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed here first in August 2012. It accepted pets and we had out dog with us. Nice enough all considering cost and location etc.
So we came back on a long drive south July 2013
Room 'uncared for' and in need of attentsion. TV out of date and battery compartment was missing cover on the TV remote. Bed was comfy and huge
Food - Breakfast OK, but tea & coffee were a nighmare to get hold of.
As Phil W stated, you get what you pay for. For us £35 with breakfast, our daughter will be giving a worse review later on all counts. She stayed there with a friend about a week after us and found the place terrible.
Best thing, cross the road and stay there!
Britannia Hotels, pulls your socks up and fix this

Room Tip: Cross over the road and book a room at the Travelodge
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Spankinginred
Also consider these accommodations in or near Standish
Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel
The Brocket Arms Hotel
Macdonald Kilhey Court
The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club
Good Night Inns Bay Horse Hotel
Britannia Bolton Hotel
Britannia Bolton Hotel
#10 of 13 in Bolton

Been to Britannia Wigan Hotel? Share your experiences!