“Never going back”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Standish
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
“Never going back”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Me and my mum stayed here during a 5 day family holiday with National Holidays. Our room was filthy the carpet needed hovering, the windows had black mould around it, the window nets where dirty, there was dust everywhere, my mum had to clean dust off the top of the headboards which were also stained. The food was decent but the cutlery was a little dirty. The staff where friendly and helpful and on the last day of out trip when we went to collect our bags after breakfast we spent 15 minuets locked out of our room.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 247
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JD1994

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I think I stayed at a different place to everybody else. My room was clean, fluffy white towels, lots of tea & coffee stuff. The TV worked and had a good selection of channels, although I don't go on holiday to stay in my room and watch telly. My 16 yr old daughter used the gym, pool, spa and sauna every day of our 4 night stay and thought the facilities were brilliant. Our kettle stopped working one night but was replaced immediately with a new one. Incidentally the water is so hot, you don't really need a kettle. We had breakfast and dinner as part of our package and enjoyed everything (considering the piles of food on other peoples plates, so did they). My daughter was really pleased with the selection of fruit and salad. The beef? to die for! The staff were cheerful, efficient and helpful, especially the gym manager. Oh yes we did have a rusty shower rail. Did I take a photo? No. Did it spoil my stay? No way, not after that beef!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jenny A
Fraserburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed here first in August 2012. It accepted pets and we had out dog with us. Nice enough all considering cost and location etc.
So we came back on a long drive south July 2013
Room 'uncared for' and in need of attentsion. TV out of date and battery compartment was missing cover on the TV remote. Bed was comfy and huge
Food - Breakfast OK, but tea & coffee were a nighmare to get hold of.
As Phil W stated, you get what you pay for. For us £35 with breakfast, our daughter will be giving a worse review later on all counts. She stayed there with a friend about a week after us and found the place terrible.
Best thing, cross the road and stay there!
Britannia Hotels, pulls your socks up and fix this

Room Tip: Cross over the road and book a room at the Travelodge
2 Thank Spankinginred

Travelers are raving about these Standish hotels

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2013

The old cliche 'you get what you pay for' does come to mind. But the hotel wasn't too bad. It was pretty basic and a bit dated, but for £55 a night for the room including dinner and breakfast! It hadn't moved on from the 1970's but I guess you could say it was somewhat retro in that sense? The room was clean and there were tea and coffee making facilities. There was a TV and a bath and shower. The hotel has a swimming pool which from a photo looks Olympic sized. However, it isn't! It is very small but adequate. The hotel is in a great location in that it is very close to the motorway. It is also a good location for visiting Southport, Liverpool and Blackpool. When we stayed here there were loads of old people who were on coach holidays. they spent a lot of time moaning! That's a surprise - old people moaning!! If you want a cheap, overnight stay then this hotel is fine.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Booked a night at this hotel, and did not even stay 10 minutes! It was filthy! Mould all over the bathroom,and the windows dont even think a hoover had been used!and as for dust!!! My word it was so thick! You get what you pay for but £65 a night was way too much! I think not,took me longer to pack my case than the time i spent at that hole, even the duty manager wasnt interested,
this is dirty from reception right through
On a good note got a full refund

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank micknTrish
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is the worst hotel we have ever stayed in, we went on a National coach short break, the headboards which are cloth we're stained and dirty, there was coffee / tea stains on the walls, there was dust everywhere on units and skirting boards,there was thick black mould all around the window reveals and on tiles in the bathroom fan did not work so the bathroom smelt mouldy we had to clean the bathroom before we could use it. If we had gone in the car we would not have stayed.

1 Thank Allan M
Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Me and my partner were attending a wedding reception (not based at this hotel) so decided on this hotel for just the one night.

When we approached I thought the place looked pleasant enough from the outside, the reception area looked clean and fairly modern so no complaints there. We found the lady at reception very friendly, helpful and informative, especially when we had to ask for directions as we are not from the area.

We were told upon arrival that we had been upgraded as the room we were originally booked in could get very hot during the summer which I thought was a nice touch.

Every member of staff we encountered was friendly so I cannot find anything to fault with them, it's the state of the hotel that really lets the place down.

I'm very relieved we were 'upgraded' as god knows what our original room would have been like in comparison to the one we ended up with. The room itself was clean and had everything you needed, but the entire décor of the hotel is extremely outdated and in desperate need of refurbishment. The room looked like something you would see in the 70s/80s, and I wasn't impressed with the bathroom at all. The height of the shower head is suitable to anyone about 5ft 4 or under, my partner is 6ft 2 and was literally having to bend down to shower as the shower head was non-extendable. Basic things like this I think really need looking at - it's a real shame as the room itself was very spacious and there is a lot of potential to make it a lovely hotel. The bed was also very big and comfortable, so no complaints there - we had a good nights sleep!

The day we arrived my partner walked down to the swimming pool only to be told he would need to pay £3.00 to swim. He explained that he was a resident at the hotel but was told that the leisure centre trades as a separate company and everyone has to pay regardless. We thought this was pretty poor as most hotels we have stayed in offer any extras (pool/gym/sauna etc) for free - I'm not sure if this is explained when booking (to be honest we booked this on a whim and didn't read into it too much), if it did state that you need to pay then fair enough although I still think this is quite 'tight' of the hotel.

Before we headed out in the evening we went to the bar for a drink, we both had a beer each and the beer was warm. To be honest we felt that ensuring drinks are chilled before serving is a pretty basic thing and should be kept an eye on - we didn't bother saying anything to the staff as we were heading off very soon after anyway.

Overall we found this hotel okay for one night but we certainly wouldn't choose to stay here again, as there were places around the same price but from the sounds of it much nicer hotels which we could have chosen instead.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Standish
Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel
The Brocket Arms Hotel
Macdonald Kilhey Court
The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club
Good Night Inns Bay Horse Hotel
Britannia Bolton Hotel
Britannia Bolton Hotel
#10 of 13 in Bolton

Been to Britannia Wigan Hotel? Share your experiences!