“what can I say.”

Britannia Wigan Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Standish
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Must say that this hotel was booked as part of a 5 day holiday.with Holiday company who I will not mention The hotel itself is in need of a total makeover, our room was if to be honest was sub standard. Food in the hotel was sometimes not even edible, they have not even thought that even buffet food must be kept hot,
After getting meal times etc, there was no service whatever, if you enquired about the contents of a certain dish you often got a blank look from the staff If they were present at the serving station which was not very often
My suggestion would be to stick to Contractors, I guess that is where you can satisfy everyone.
I for one will not be staying there again

Room Tip: Choose another hotel, I did hear the Premier Inn across the road wad better
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Margaret P

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Didn't expect the Ritz as the price was reasonable but still disappointed. The hotel is actually quite nice with plenty of parking but it needs a damm good clean - windows filthy, cups dirty, glasses sticking to trays, teaspoons covered in pink yuck, old bloodstains on sheets etc. etc. Meals buffet style with very little choice and not good quality, constantly have to ask for things to be replenished. Asked for a non-smoking double room and got a smoking twin. I'm afraid I won't be returning.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ann J
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here on a coach trip. When we booked through the coach companies website we requested a double room , on arrival after our day out we were given the key to our room when we opened the door we were greeted with 2 single beds , I went down to ask at reception if we coud have a double bed and was told the hotel was full to bursting and as part of a coach party we basically got what we were given . It was clear to see they wernt full but really didnt care . Staff on reception weren't very helpful at all . The room itself was basic but clean with plenty of hot water. The food on the other hand was really nice on the evening we had a carvery. We went for a drink in the bar and as mentioned in previous reviews the tables were sticky and needed a good clean . Breakfast again in the morning was nice . Dont go expecting a 5 star hotel because its not and maybe some of the staff could have been a little friendlier but again you get what you pay for

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank DOZ1308
Reviewed April 21, 2013

If you are thinking of staying here I suggest that you stay in the Premier Inn across the road.
We stayed overnight in the Britannia for a function and were very disappointed. The air on the first floor corridor was thick with the smell of cigarette smoke as was our room! The cleanliness of the room left a lot to be desired. The bed had not been made properly, the valance half on, half off the bed and dragging on the floor. In the bathrrom there were hard grey towels that were once soft and white. The manager promised to take a look at the room but obviously didn't as there was no improvement.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank D G
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This is my 2nd stay at this hotel and the fist stay was very nice however my 2nd stay was totally the opposite. I only had 1 night as a stayover following a works do and I am glad it was only 1 night. The wailpaper was peeling, the cold tap wouldnt turn on so no shower, the breakfast was barely warm and the cutlery/crockery left a lot to be desired. Having stayed here previously I was very dissappointed to say the least and in future I will be looking elsewhere for my stopovers.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank LinLancashire
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Booked the hotel function room for a retirement do and also stayed over at the venue as did a number of friends. I have to say that the service provided by the hotel staff was exceptional and they couldn't do enough for us. Friendly and helpful throughout the evening and value for money I've got to say was also exceptional.
The hotel is ideally situated near to junction 27 of the M6 motorway as a stop over point if ever travelling through. No the rooms are not luxurious but they were certainly clean, tidy and comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank GordonJ114
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We couldn't decide between here and the premier inn across the road but choose this one as it was a slightly better price- big mistake!
Arrived at 2.30 hoping that we could all go swimming, all the kids were very excited, only to be told that it closed at 3. Explained that the website said 6- but apparently it hadn't been updated for months.
Instead we had to sit in the lounge/bar area which has seen better days- sticky tables, dirty chairs, funny tasting drinks,
The rooms were horrendous- tired and dirty, in need of a lot if TLC. The carpets were filthy, cigarette burns in the curtains, peeling wall paper and stained lampshades and walls.
Breakfast was the worst thing I have ever tasted- continental breakfast consisted of a bit of hard grated cheese and grey ham. The English breakfast was no better. Bread was stale, the jam had skin on it, and the choice of cereal was soft cornflakes or rice crispies.
We got to try out the pool the next day- freezing cold, with mouldy walls and changing rooms- all at an extra cost!
Staff were ok, didn't ask if we enjoyed our stay- but don't blame them, as out response would have been very negative.
Very glad we chose to have tea in the Charnley arms across the road and not in the almond restaurant!
I would recommend the premier in to this place every time,

Room Tip: Premier inn!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Fconn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Standish
Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel
Macdonald Kilhey Court
The Brocket Arms Hotel
The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club
Holland Hall Country House Hotel
Days Inn Charnock Richard M6

Been to Britannia Wigan Hotel? Share your experiences!