“Very good value for the money”

Britannia Wigan Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Standish
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stayed here for my stag do it was cheap and that's what we wanted but I can't fault the hotel the staff was very friendly thanks to Katie for booking all are taxis and giving us advise on where to go out over all enjoyed it

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Stayed here for one night as I was working in Wigan, you can see when you walk in that at one point some years ago it must have been nice, but it has been run down with no investment to bring it up a good standard. I was at the back of this hotel looking down at the swimming pool and a empty car park, the window seals had gone and this made looking out as if it was foggy, years of not repainting the walls and windows could be seen. The bed had seen better days and was hard , Shower was so hot or too cold could not get it right, so if a lot of money was spent on this place it could be nice, but I wonder if there is the money around these days to do it.
I have to say that the three course dinner was not bad, breakfast was so so, but the best bit I think was the price of a pint £1.95, its over £3.00 were I come from so that an't bad.
So low price hotel and you can tell, would not want to stay more than one night.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 1951guide
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed over Easter for two nights, room dated with cobebs, dirty bathroom floor and tiles could do with a good clean. First evening meal not a good selection and soup was cold. Breakfast no cups available, staff not interested, ok if you like full English breakfast which we dont. Butter, jam and maralade in ceral bowl uncovered where people are talking and coughing while waiting to toast bread. So called leisure facilities, swimming pool is like one you would find in a back garden, gym so small that the two bikes are placed one in front of the other so someone would be facing the others butt, again needs a desparate face lift. We were charged to use these. The next evening meal selection better but with same vegetables, roast pototoes or chips as night before. Deserts were same as night before. Soup was brought from kitchen and still cold as was the main meal. Staff are just not interested if you complain. I was shown to a table with a broken chair.
We had a deal for hotel but I still expect it to be of a reasonable standard, this is certainly not. Avoid needs shutting down

Room Tip: Go across road to premier inn
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank janet8393
Reviewed April 5, 2013

On arrival you could see it was going to be bad. The windows in reception were filthy. The room we were given was dirty, not hoovered, the bedside table was crumbling apart, there were cracks everywhere in the walls and ceiling. The bathroom was the worst, there was bits of hair on the floor and urine stains by the toilet. I asked to be moved but the room they offered was no better. The restaurant was even worse, dirty floors, no staff, cold dried up food left under hot lamps which didn't work properly, had to ask for someone to serve us and get us fresh bread etc. Later that night i noticed there was a used sanitary towel under the pipe at the back of the toilet. The next day we went out for the day and to eat. When we went back to our room someone had been in to make the bed but the sanitary towel was still on the bathroom floor. I would never use Britannia hotels again. Disgusting!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank flano32
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Four nights were four nights too long.

Pro
Plenty hot water
Reasonable buffet for the price

Con
Arrived during a cold spell. Room heating not on, only one sheet on bed. No spares in room. Requested a blanket and after three hours made a reminder. Duvet was delivered to the room, half in a cover half out, dumped in a heap at the bottom of the bed.
Each day the bed was not made up, only the duvet roughly thrown over the bed, the pillows not moved from the previous night, the under sheet still wrinkled.
A glass in the room, taken from the bar on the first night, was still in the room unwashed when I left on day five.
Crumbs I dropped on the room carpet on night two was still there on day five.
Sometime s no staff in the bar as the bar staff does room service.
Room scruffy, wall paper peeling and then roughly restuck by silicone sealant.

Directly across the road there is a Premier Inn, whose room rates are not dissimilar to Britannia Wigan. I know which one I would choose.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank HKGELLON
Reviewed April 3, 2013

stayed here while working away from home , thankfully we got sent home eairly and only stayed two nights ,two nights too long worst hotel ive every stayed in . firstly the smell down the corridor of smoke was bad ,i thought smoking was banned in hotels. got in my room after a hard days work wanting a nice shower only to find hairs all in the bottom of the bath,no maids!!! very dated room , wallpaper hanging dusty t.v .buffet tea was awful and breafast was no better, dirty plates cold food. anyone thinking of staying dont go across the road to premier inn cant go wrong. thankgod the company was paying .

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Gary M
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed here4 nights we were on a coach tour . The hotel is a budget hotel ur the food we had was good and plenty choice .My only complaint was the room smelt of stale cigarette smoke despite leaving windows open it still lingered . I thought smoking was banned in hotel rooms . There was also an ashtray in the room !!!!!!!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AberdeenKaty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Standish
Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel
3 mi away
The Brocket Arms Hotel
2 mi away
Macdonald Kilhey Court
Premier Inn Wigan (M6 Jct 27) Hotel
Good Night Inns Bay Horse Hotel
The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club

Been to Britannia Wigan Hotel? Share your experiences!