“Customer service; a total joke”

Britannia Wigan Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Standish
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I hav stayed in many Britannia and accept they are good value for money. Some are a lot better than others.
I had an issue with no heating in the room when i stayed 6 weeks ago. I was offered another cold room or extra blankets!! The staff on duty were unable to resolve the issue.
I wrote to the general manager by name to ask his views on the various reasons his staff had given me for the lack of heating. There were numerous reasons given from the sublime to the ridiculous. The cleaner has taken the key to the boiler room home.... The heating is controlled at head office.... the heating is on a timer. The general manager however had a different reason... it was broken.
It took 6 emails to him, 2 to his Reception to pass to him, a number of phone calls and copies of my emails to head office to get a response; clearly the worst customer service ever. No wonder the 'terribles' outweigh all the other ratings.
Room was freezer. Staff were not interested. Tables stayed covered with dirty dishes for ages. Staff seemed ill trained and unable to cope. Food was very 'school dinnerish'.
We will never stay here again and will do our best to make sure no one we know do.

2  Thank Futuretraveller999

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Just arrived home after staying 2 nights with a group of 40 passengers at this hotel and try as I did I cannot find where all the bad reviews are coming from, Please take of your dark glasses and come down from your lofty heights into the real world and realise you are getting resonable quality at a very good price and excellent food and quality both Breakfast and evening meal. If you want 5 star and I doubt if it would even please some of the moaners I have read from on this site then go and pay 5 star prices @ four times + higher than this hotel. On questioning all 40 members of our party I never got one complaint from anyone. VERY GOOD VALUE BRITANNIA

Room Tip: All similar
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Travelingsenior_11
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We were visiting the beer festival at Crooke, near standish, wigan and wanted to stay locally. There was a choice between Premier Inn, our usual choice, or the local britannia which had leisure facilities and breakfast.
We opted for the Britannia but quickly wished we hadnt. The room was dirty, the bath had soap scum around the ledge at the top, and a pubic hair near plug hole. The hotel itself was not welcoming and in the bar there were a couple of tables piled up, some chairs stacked and it felt like a home for the elderly by decor. One staff member was ordering others about, there was some back chat and all in all i wouldnt stay there or recommend again. I certainly wouldnt get married there which i think is main trade. The breakfast was poor. i didnt eat sausage but it looked like sawdust - hubby said it didnt taste much better. there were three or four coaches of people staying and the breakfast hall was like a rugby match. tea and coffee awful.. All in all a very poor experience. We booked this over the premier inn cos of the pool, but when hubby went down to swim they stopped him getting in and asked him for some cash, it was not made clear on the website at time of booking that this was additional, he did say the pool area was small and not well kept.

Room Tip: Go to Premier Inn across the road.
2  Thank deborah84
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have just returned from a weekend shopping and we stayed in this hotel. We were part of a coach tour and when we arrived we got allocated our rooms and the staff are friendly. The room was clean tidy and warm and the hot water in the bathroom was great and no problems at all sleeping as the bed was comfy and the pillows NOT lumpy at all. We had dinner two nights and got a lovely meal. The breakfast was fine as well. I dont know what people expect when they stay at a hotel... but we got all we needed and had a great time. Thanks.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Shopper92
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I have stayed in other Britannia hotels, this one is the one that puts the company to shame. It may be cheap, but consider this, 5 coaches had folks staying here when my wife and I visited, Every time we went to breakfast, we stayed 4 nights, one or two items on the menu were not available, or we had to wait for them to be cooked. Tea and coffee was cold, too few staff to cope.
Evening meal was a crazy experience, the colour of the napkins on the table designated which group you were in, we were in the blue group, when it was our turn to be served we had to wait for a table to be cleaned before we sat down. All the food was average, and to get a drink at the bar after the meal was a joke, 1 staff member serving everyone. Chairs had to be taken from the restaurant in order for guests to sit in the lounge area, guests had to move the chairs themselves.
This is truly a hotel that needs good management. Do not be taken in by the fact the hotel has an indoor heated pool, my wife is a keen swimmer, and after just 1 trip to the pool, we contacted the Environmental Health Officer, who informed us after his visit that several health contraventions had been found.
Sorry Britannia but you are now off our list of places to stay.

Room Tip: Better to stay somewhere else.
2  Thank CCWalls
Reviewed October 12, 2012

the worst hotel we have ever been to dirty rooms rubbish spa staff that could not care less my brother in law had to sleep in a camp bed so much for a family room with three beds toilets that dont work poor choice of evening meals no chef to serve unless u are perpared to just wait at the counter untill he appears and then goes again makeing deals with the barman about a drink for a plated meal young waitresses all hovering around the computer laughing while we wait if you dont ask for the soup u dont get any to bad to be true DONT GO THERE U WILL BE SORRY

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jeannie4me
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Took my elderly mum on a coach trip holiday(a first for us both). Room keys were given to bus driver to distribute, as staff were too busy! Eventually found our room, after passing approx 8 sets of fire doors. Room was very dated. Wall paper coming off wall, seats filthy, skirtings full of dust and carpets stained and obviously not vacuumed. Our evening meal was at 5.30 which I think is far too early. No menus, not even written on a board so constantly had to ask "what is that?" Hotel in middle of nowhere. Entertainment was dreadful. I can honestly say that this hotel is by far the worst hotel I've ever stayed at and looked more like a care home than a hotel, and not a very nice care home at that.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Carcam71
Also consider these accommodations in or near Standish
Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel
Premier Inn Wigan (M6 Jct 27) Hotel
3 mi away
The Brocket Arms Hotel
2 mi away
Macdonald Kilhey Court
Good Night Inns Bay Horse Hotel
Best Western Park Hall Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Britannia Wigan Hotel? Share your experiences!