Britannia Wigan Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Standish
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Room was basic and cold, lumpy pillows had to ask for replacements so I could get some sleep
not much choice in the self service buffet not much staff available when items ran out and had to wait while hot meal went cold or went without
Tables not always set no cups and saucers The few staff that was available worked hard I can only blame the managerment for the poor service after all one staff member can not do the work of 3 this is the worst Britannia hotel I had stay in did not use spa as this was an extra charge would have expected it to be included in a 4 star hotel

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed here on a National Holidays three nighter which was advertised as 'Southport and the Lakes'. We thought we would be staying in Southport, so it was a disappointment to find ourselves at Standish near Wigan. The hotel was far below the standard we expected. We had separate rooms for which we paid a subsidy of £18 each. My room was so noisy I had to have a move after the first night. The staff gave me a much better room, bu both rooms neededto be cleaned properly. I don't think the cleaners ever moved the furniture to clean. The meal times were a shambles. As there were five coaches staying there our dinner time was the last sitting and there was not enough of anything. It was a carvery but only one choice of meat although there was something in sauce which looked very unappetising. The vegetables (carrots and broccoli) were either stone hard or cooked to a mush. The staff seemed to have no interest in the customers and had never been trained. I had a word with the acting restaurant manager who was non comittal.Take my advice and shun this place like the plague!!

Room Tip: Don't go there
1  Thank Vanna H
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I will start with the positive staff were friendly and helpfull. Although the room looked ok on closer inspection it was not clean with dust on skirting boards/behind the bedside cabinet - my wife had to clean the bath before going in - when you looked round the hotel it is in need of some attention and upgrading - the leisure facilities again were fairly grubby - oh last but not least, even though I would rather forget it breakfast / it was not an enjoyable experience with a poor lay out of the buffet right at the entrance to the restaurant which created long queues and confusion for people just coming in for breakfast - the food was poor with uncooked tomatoes, scrambbled eggs that had no taste and the rest seemed of poor quality produce, organisation of staff poor / I booked this in a offer but it was still £81 B&B YOU DO EXPECT BETTER for that price

Room Tip: book in at the Premier Inn across the road
2  Thank runningraham
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights on a recent trip to England. The room was passable tho WAY overpriced. I'm sure that if my fiancé had booked online or something he'd have gotten a cheaper rate. I'm actually a bit amazed at the price he paid considering it was mid-winter. Anyway, breakfast was served buffet style. The sausages were a bit icky to me, & they only had scrambled eggs. But it was hot & there was plenty of it. The room could've been cleaner, especially the bathroom but it was passable. We only ate breakfast in the restaurant so I can't really comment on that, tho we did get some fish & chips one night in the bar. Your basic frozen fare, but decent if a bit high priced. Only other comments I'd make are that the wifi only works in the lobby & sometimes in the bar & restaurant so that was a bit inconvenient. Also it's on a very busy road so if you're on foot you sorta have to make a run for it if you want to get across to the nearest shop. I'd only stay there again if I got an amazing deal on the room.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Lizzie9071
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I have recently spent a week at this hotel on business
Reception staff were friendly and helpfull and despite the resturant being very
Busy I did not have to wait long to be shown to a table the buffet choices were
Fresh and the food hot and I got a glass of wine in the bar before I went in
My room was warm and clean and I slept well in the mornings I enjoyed a cooked
Breakfast and toast and tea in the resturant before going to the office
I would definately stay here again an exccelent value hotel

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Michael M
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Room was filthy and had just superficial cleaning applied, window frame was mouldy and behind the bed was covered in half inch of dust hair and god knows what else.Breakfast was a shambles with no organisation due to the poor set up of the room, toast was either incinerated or barely warm, when you could get near a machine. Drinks were tepid and the tables were laid in a haphazard fashion and always without condiments and crockery which took an age to sort out. The same queue was used for fruit juice, fruit and hot breakfast which created a terrible bottleneck. Evening meal was a little better but not good enough.

1  Thank Steveretford
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed for just 2 nights, and was very good value for money. Rooms had all we needed, the food was both good and plentyful. Staff were friendly and very helpful, nothing was too much trouble. We enjoyed our short stay. Thanks again.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Janbad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Standish
Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel
3 mi away
The Brocket Arms Hotel
2 mi away
Macdonald Kilhey Court
Premier Inn Wigan (M6 Jct 27) Hotel
Good Night Inns Bay Horse Hotel
The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club

Been to Britannia Wigan Hotel? Share your experiences!