“Great value lunch on a rainy winter day”
Review of Spread Eagle

Spread Eagle
Reserve with OpenTable
Spread Eagle is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Sawley
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Preston, United Kingdom
“Great value lunch on a rainy winter day”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We booked for lunch on a rainy December day. Three menus to choose from. We went for the 3 course Early bird one which included a glass of wine and was excellent value. The food was good and just the right portion size. Although it was raining we had a lovely view of the Ribble in full flow from the window of our table. It would be great for lunch and a gentle walk in the surrounding countryside in the warmer months.

• Visited December 2012
nitramYorkshire, Owner at Spread Eagle, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Hello there!
Thank you for your great review and I am glad that we managed to put a little sunshine into your day! Via our FANTASTIC FOOD! lots of best wishes for the new Year!

Slaidburn, United Kingdom
“Unhappy diner”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

A group of ten of us went for a Christmas meal on Monday night . Food was very good . The service was ok . We were given the wine list but then had to go to the bar to order. At just before 11pm the waiter walked past our table and said rather sarcasticlally I was just making sure you had not gone to sleep , then looked at his watch and said we do bed and breakfast you know. It made us feel very uncomfortable. Our family go quite often but this has put us off

• Visited December 2012
nitramYorkshire, Owner at Spread Eagle, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Dear Gillian

Thank you for taking the time to place a review with TA, I have to say I am somewhat dismayed & surprised that the light hearted banter we seemed to be having was taken the wrong way! On the night it appeared to me and my colleagues that no offence had been taken?

On the note of service I will certainly look into your pointers raised and pass it on to our team so that we can aim to do better next time! I am truly sorry if offence was made and do hope that you will come to the Spread Eagle once again for some of our excellent food, ambiance and friendly cheerful service. And I promise no puns about the time!
Colne, United Kingdom
“Food Excellent - Hope you're not in a rush !!”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Me and my wife have dined here on several occassions. On Saturday we'd booked for 8.30pm, we arrived at 8.20pm got a drink and were told our table was just being prepared. at 8.45pm another couple came in to the bar and were taken straight into the restaurant, we were still waiting !! 5 mins later my wife asked if our table was ready upon which we were taken through. After taking our order we were still waiting for food at 9.15pm, I cancelled our starters and said we'd just have a main course. At 9.35pm our food arrived !! The food was excellent, over an hour to get some was ridiculous.
The manager tried to make it they were very busy etc., well I'm sorry if you can't handle the customers don't take the bookings !!

• Visited December 2012
nitramYorkshire, Owner at Spread Eagle, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Hello there

I am so sorry that we didnt get it quite right for you on your last visit and thank you for your very favourable remarks regarding the food. We will certainly look into all aspects of your recent visit and use it as a building block for the future, I do hope that you take the opportunity to visit us again very soon where by I am sure all will be excellent!

Once again thank you for taking the time to write a review and we do look forward to seeing you soon.

Grieg & Natalie.
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
“mixed feelings”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We haven't been for while and the management have changed since our last visit so we thought we'd try the new 'Early Bird' menu. To be fair, the food was very good - just a minor niggle that vegetables are generally charged as an extra unless part of the dish.
It wasn't very busy when we arrived so the head waiter/seater seemed unnecessarily harassed, verging on the brusque - the other staff were fine.
2 courses are £9.95 - good value - but we have been a bit spoilt by another local restaurant, The 3 Millstones in West Bradford, who provide 3 excellent courses for £11.95!

• Visited November 2012
nitramYorkshire, Manager at Spread Eagle, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Kay

Thank you so much taking the time to post a review and I am thrilled you enjoyed your meal at The Spread Eagle. I do think though for two courses and a free glass of wine or real ale (which you haven’t mentioned ) for £9.95 is the best value in the area! in fact EXCELLENT value and I quite agree that the Ribble Valley area is very much spoilt for their excellent set deals and early birds, aren’t you lucky!

I dont agree how ever with your niggle about charging extra for a portion of freshly cooked vegetables, I do hope that you try us again soon and I am sure that head waiter will be smiling ready to greet you!
UK
“First Class ..”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Ate their last night (Monday) .. Had food from the Early Bird Menu.. All three courses and glass of wine included.. for £13.95.. I have to say the food , service and the ambiance was excellent! Just wish the Spread Eagle was in my village!! Or maybe not as I would never be away.. Well done to you all.. It is a pleasure to dine here..

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Kat868
nitramYorkshire, Owner at Spread Eagle, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you for you excellent review our villagers are lucky! What wonderful value it makes it worth the drive! Keep popping in we look forward to seeing oyu again very soon.