“Charming”
Review of Spread Eagle

Spread Eagle
Reserve with OpenTable
Spread Eagle is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Sawley
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I was treated to lunch here for my birthday and it was a delightful experience, the staff were all very pleasant and the food was excellent, what else can I say, had a lovely time....thank you Louise and of course Dan, Teeps and Nic Nic for the taxi sevice!!!

1  Thank aiksjunior

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Have been three times recently. Service on all occasions has varied from excellent to ok. Having said that the food is very good, they cater for my allergy without any problems, somes places just offer me a steak and a salad and are unwilling to adapt their menu.

Setting and decor very nice. Would suggest booking the restaurant to guarantee a table. They often have special events on and entertainment - obviously contact the Spread Eagle for details or see the notices around the bar area.

Will be visiting again!

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Called in on spec on the way back from the coast as we saw a sign on the A59. It was a decision we didn't regret.
Despite it being busy, we were found a table in the main restaurant. The staff were all really pleasant and helpful.
The food was outstanding. One of the best pub meals we've had in years.
5 stars all the way.

1  Thank wernda
Reviewed August 29, 2012

5 of us went here for lunch yesterday and were pleasantly surprised. The service, at best, is a bit lack lustre, I had to ask for a knife and fork to eat with after the main meal arrived! but the food quality is excellent, on the whole the quantity is good too, except for the large haddock! If you like a good piece of fish give this a miss, stingy is the best I can describe it as, my son said he had seen larger pieces of scampi, and at £12:95 just not worth it, even after mentioning it to 2 seperate members of staff both said it was large! Having said that it was beautifuuly cooked and presented as was all our parties meals. The starters were absolutley delicious. There are a fair selection of desserts but nothing I really fancied, this is more me not liking hot puds with ice cream but prefering them with custard, guess what..... no custard! Sticky toffee pudding with no option of custard? But like I say this is just my taste.
The staff, although they are visible they do not seem to be visible when you need them, the service is a tad past being relaxed and bordering on downright slow, this comment is not aimed at the wait for food but the wait for service, ie. getting the waiting and bar staff attention, ordering food and getting a drink.
There is a fair selection of bar drinks and even though we were the first in the first pint of ale I asked for, Moorhouses, ran out halfway through pulling it, but the Wainwrights was good but I feel slightly overpriced at £3:60 a pint. There seems to be a good wine list but we don't usually do wine on a lunchtime.
On the whole a really nice meal and a glorious, relaxed setting, with friendly but slow staff, ....but I left feeling hungry.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We are occasional customers at the Spread Eagle restaurant and have just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary with them. We booked the venue almost 18 months ago and we were really disappointed 6 months later to find that there had been a mix up with our booking.

To their credit they tried really hard to accommodate us on an alternative date and to find a way to compensate us for the problems.

However, we were a little nervous when the date arrived. Would the Spread Eagle deliver what had been promised, but do so in a way that would overcome the initial problems. They did. And they did it very well.

We had all of the 7 rooms. They vary in size from very large, overlooking the river, to very small and overlooking the kitchen fans. So book carefully. However, they are all of a good standard and in a ‘rustic – chic’ style.

We started with a pre-party in the afternoon and the venue couldn’t have been more accommodating, basically allowing us free run of the place. It seemed to us that all the staff new about the earlier issues and were really making an effort to make our day even more special.

Our evening party was for 60, with a buffet meal and dancing until late. Again the staff were unobtrusive, eager to please and provided great service and food. We were particularly impressed with Edward, who was on top of everything and quietly just made things happen.

The breakfast was of an equally high standard and delivered by cheery, pleasant staff.

We had a great evening and the Spread redeemed itself with us and impressed all of our guests. Thank you.