“Really helpful, and a bargain for the standard of room”
Review of The Windmill Hotel

The Windmill Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mellor
The Windmill Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mellor
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Booked for one night as we were at a wedding locally.
We were shown the ropes by a really helpful member of staff.
the room was clean and comfortable -we didn't notice any excessive car noise to be honest.

The late night entrance is via the back entrance - but hardly a big deal. It took 30 secondsa before we were in our room!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Nick H

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed here on a Saturday night because we were at a wedding locally. The staff were very friendly however we can relate to the other reviews about the labyrinth of of corridors and having to use the unkept back entrance.
We also had to pay before we had even seen the room and had to order our breakfast which we were told was at 9.30. Breakfast was OK but not worth £6.
The room itself was quite dated and on a busy main road, it needs new towels, quilts, pillows etc, it was also a bit dusty.
We just made do really because we were close to the wedding venue

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank holidayingharolds
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I stayed here one night as I was working in Blackburn the following day. For the same price I could have stayed in a Premier Inn and I am very very glad that we chose to stay at the Windmill instead. We arrived very late at night due to delayed/cancelled trains due to flooding - you can picture the scene. The staff (both that night and in the morning) were genuinely welcoming, likeable, helpful, without any hint of forced 'friendliness' that can sometimes make hotel stays a bit painful. With respect to facilities, the heating in the room was very very effective, the free wifi was faultless (in the rooms - I couldn't get signal in the bar), and the shower was absolutely superb, proper powerful. I didn't notice any of the sorts of 'skirting board and toilet seat' issues in my room that other reviewers have mentioned... perhaps I am not as discerning but everything seemed completely in order to me. I didn't notice any issues with noise either, but I'm not sure there were many other guests and I had a room with a skylight so all I heard was rain (of which there was a lot). The breakfast was pretty much perfect for me, and I have a long list of allergies, so I was pleased with that too. I am not based anywhere near Blackburn and I'm not sure I will be in the area again any time soon, but if I am, then I would definitely stay again at the Windmill.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Billy B
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Booked here as we had a wedding close by and the previous reviews were positive.

Well, firstly we arrived to see the shocking sight of a bouncy castle at the back of a pub. Upon entering we were shown to our room by a very helpful member of staff, (after checking in and paying the full room rate of £70 BEFORE we'd even seen our room) via a labyrinth of corridors and stairs covered in plastic matting.

We should have run at this point.

Foolishly we stayed for the briefing, when we were told that upon re-entry to the 'hotel', we would have to use the fire escape. We were given no less than 3 keys to get back in, and passed an overflowing cigarette tray when we arrived back late in the evening.

However, this is not where the problems ceased..........The towels on the bathroom were 'sticky' and small in size.
The extractor fan did not work, meaning there was a trail of mould up the wall (see photograph).
The bathroom also had a peculiar smell-not of the healthy kind.
The toilet roll holder was covered in paint and rust although the walls were tiled and the shower tray had traces of mould. (see photograph
The mirrors throughout the room where covered in a fine layer of dirt and one of the mugs was not washed properly and was stained. (again see photograph).

All in all, it wasn't the cleanest, wasn't the nicest and was only 'relatively' cheap-yet not even cheerful. (when I say relatively-it cost £70. Would rather have stayed in a clean travel lodge or premier in for a rennet or more cheaper!!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed a Friday and Saturday night. The two rooms we had were clean. The rooms had wi-fi (essential for us) and unlike other reviews we did not notice any road noise. Staff were extremely helpful and dealt with allergy issues at meals with real helpfulness (they could not be faulted on this - we contacted them in advance and they went out of tehir way to accomodate our needs). This was a good honest place for an overnight stay, with good on site bar and restaurant. Definitely would visit again

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank travelling4golf
Reviewed July 30, 2012

The room was okay, but not totally clean - I found hairs on the floor and in the shower. It also didn't seem to be very well soundproofed. There was an extra screen over the double glazed window, but it was still not enough to keep out the noise from the busy road right outside my window (40-50 MPH). In addition, I could hear voices and dance music coming from another room - it wasn't loud but together with the noise from the traffic, it was loud enough to keep me awake into the early hours. The mostly young staff were friendly and helpful and this is the main plus point of the hotel. When I was having breakfast I noticed used glasses from the night before on a shelf (the whole of the downstairs room functions as a bar and restaurant in the evenings).

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back or sides of the building if you are a light sleeper.