“Lovely wedding, rooms ok”

Best Western Ribble Valley Langho Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Langho
GreenLeadersGold level
Manchester
“Lovely wedding, rooms ok”
Reviewed September 5, 2010

We went to a lovely wedding in the Abbey Suite at Mytton fold - good food, a very pleasant function suite and attractive outside areas for photos. The position of the hotel is picturesque in the lancashire hills and set back from the main road so nice and quiet. We had a great day and really enjoyed the reception.

We booked for the night of the wedding directly with the hotel. Check-in was efficient and the main communal areas were clean and comfortable.

We stayed in a double room in the old part of the hotel. The room was very clean, though fairly small. Usual coffee, biscuits in a packet and bottled water. Carpets and curtains were again clean but looked a bit old and didn't particularly fit with the rest of the room.

The bathroom was a tired avocado green suite and really could do with a re-fit. Electric shower which wasn't very forceful. The toiletries supplied were simple and functional - bring your own if you want anything special!

Breakfast was nice - a buffet where you help yourself to the usual cooked breakfast, plenty of coffee. Bacon could have been a bit crispier for me.

All in all we had a great day and thought the function suite was very nice. The room was average at best and in need of a re-fit but clean and functional - we felt not good value at over £80.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
BBryan, Owner at Best Western Ribble Valley Langho Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf, responded to this review, September 17, 2010
Thank you for posting your review. We are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your wedding function here at Mytton Fold. We are in the middle of a full refurbishment programme to our bedrooms but due to occupancy levels we can only do a few at a time. We look forward to welcoming you back here at Mytton Fold sometime in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2010

I must first of all say that we attended a wedding which was superb, the day was wonderful and the service excellent.
The old part of you Hotel was appalling however, the toilet seat in our room was hanging off, the sofa was sagging and dirty, there was black mould on the grouting in the bathroom and it smelled, the shower curtain had seen better days and the shower system was so archaic that it juddered and vibrated on the wall, the bathroom would have been appropriate for the set of Psycho!! If I had been the local tourist inspector I would have stripped this Hotel of its status. In fact I will be complaining to the boards who have awarded the Hotel and asking what kind of standards they set as they are certainly not those that I had to aim for in my MANY years as a Hotelier!!
I stayed in this Hotel 2 years ago also for another wedding, the refurbishments were in progress then with evidence of decoration to the floor we were on we made allowances for all of this then but now after all this time and the so called new award from the tourism board all I can say is shame on you!!
To finish when a customer has a genuine complaint, don't attempt to fob them off with rubbish excuses from your housekeeping staff or think that for one moment that a discount will do anything for your your reputation. Also if you have better rooms on offer let your customers know, had you done this for us I would not be making this bad review today !!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
BBryan, Owner at Best Western Ribble Valley Langho Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf, responded to this review, September 8, 2010
I am really glad you enjoyed the wedding function that you attended, I am however sorry that we did not meet your expectations with the accommodation. We have noted your comments and I am sure as a family will discuess them further.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2010

We stayed at Mytton Fold following the wedding of our daughter at this venue. The wedding was fantastic, as were all the staff, so professional and helpful. The room were stayed is was very comfortable and the staff made us very welcome. The food was very nice and the whole stay was a real pleasure.

• Stayed August 2010
Thank you for your lovely review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your daughter's wedding and stay here at Mytton Fold. We would be delighted to welcome you back in the near future.
Gloucester, England
Reviewed August 13, 2010

I first saw this hotel online and discovered it was part of Best Western. My heart sank because I had seen the quality of this chain decline rapidly over recent years. I booked it as I needed a hotel near to Blackburn.
I was really pleasantly surprised when I arrived at the hotel. It was in a very pleasant location amid some scenic countryside near a village just outside Blackburn. It was clear from driving up to the hotel, that some attention had been given to the grounds of the hotel, which were very pleasantly laid out and maintained.
Service at the reception was prompt and efficient; throughout my stay I found the staff to be very friendly and welcoming. I was shown to my room, which was a large lovely room toward the back of the hotel. The room was pleasantly decorated, it had a large bed, TV with satellite channels (something I always like to check), sofa, table, coffee facilities and free bottled water. The hotel also provided free wifi, a very positive point seeing as most charge exorbitant amounts for wifi access. The bathroom was clean, large and pleasantly decorated. My room had no windows only skylights, but plenty of them, with electrically operated blinds, nevertheless I would have liked to have been able to have a clearer view of the outside countryside. The room was also almost next to a railway line, thankfully not a busy one; the first train passed at 6.20 in the morning (which was also the time I usually wake up). I had the added bonus of a steam train passing while I was staying, I cannot guarantee you'll see that but if you stay on a Wednesday during the summer, you may be lucky. My only criticism of the bathroom was that the water in the morning was barely warm and the shower took a long time to even register 'tepid'.
The pleasant room, service, decor and location were all great positives for the hotel. The bar was a let down with no real ale. I only ate at the hotel for breakfast. The breakfast was fine, coffee was good, food was good and selection was fine. They did have Marmite (another thing I check). I was surprised to see crumpets available because there seemed no way of heating them. The breakfast arrangement was very strange; people on their own were seated in one room while couples were in another. I was in the singles room where all the desks, sorry tables, were facing the same way in rows a bit like being in an exam hall! I'm not sure why they did this arrangement for the two rooms, or why they separated singles from couples; there seemed to be a perfectly good larger room which could have seated all.
As a wedding or reception venue, this hotel would be lovely. For a small business meeting, it would also be ideal. For anyone travelling on business or just looking for a break in the countryside, this hotel would make an ideal place to stop.
All in all, little foibles cannot detract from what is a lovely and welcoming hotel.
I'm not into golf myself but the hotel does have a golf course attached, which could be an added bonus for businessmen, or anyone, who does have a penchant for hitting balls down little holes.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Deerwood
Thank you very much for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Mytton Fold and hopefully will welcome you back sometime soon.
Reviewed August 2, 2010

A clean hotel with a good (although early) breakfast. Our room was comfortable and had been newly refurbished. The bar stayed open until 7am so it's a great place to stay if you're having a get together. No bar noise could be heard in the rooms.

• Stayed August 2010
BBryan, Owner at Best Western Ribble Valley Langho Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf, responded to this review, August 18, 2010
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review . We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Mytton Fold and we look forward to welcoming you back here in the future.
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Booked in to stay overnight as this was the locations for a family wedding. Grounds staff did a great job, getting everything in shape after at least a weeks solid rain. Attention to detail in the grounds was fantastic, especially nice as the hope was to have the wedding outside in a gazebo, which we did and I would recommend. Staff did everything they could to ensure the day went smoothly, great efficient service and just the right level, not being over intrusive. Excellant customer care the owners must be very proud off.

Public areas, function rooms and bars are modern, clean and inviting. Clearly an area they pay a lot of attention to and deservidly so. Great grassed courtyard/sheltered area that is a real suntrap during the afternoon and a dream to relax with a drink or three.

Its a shame the bedrooms dont all live up to these very high standards, especially given their rates. We where located in a room in the older part of the hotel and my advice would be to insist you get a room in the newer annex. The bathroom had mould on the ceiling, the shower was useless, the bedroom furniture was dreadfull and reminded me of a run down B&B. Missing light bulbs the list just goes on. Important basics such as clean linen and towels was fine but you expect more in this price bracket. The owners have clearly invested in new bedrooms and poeple in these rooms didnt have any complaints. But in my opinion the owners have let these rooms slip too far down the scale.

I would love to be able to give two ratings which would be 5 stars for the service and wedding and I am afraid only one for the bedrooms. But I have gone for an overall rating of very good.

Please dont let this review put you off using this hotel as a venue for a wedding or celebration as everything else was great. But ensure your guests are in the new rooms or the owners have refurbished the old rooms. I cant see how/why the owners would not refurbish as they clearly have in other parts of the Hotel and the management clearly care about the service they provide.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
BBryan, Owner at Best Western Ribble Valley Langho Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf, responded to this review, July 31, 2010
Thank you for posting your review. We are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your wedding function here at Mytton Fold. As you have said all areas in the hotel and in the new wing are either a brand new build or have been extensively refurbished. We are in the middle of a full refurbishment programme but due to occupancy levels in the bedrooms as you can appreciate we can only do a few at a time.
jon1664
Reviewed July 23, 2010

I have stayed here a few times in the last month, I have used most of the hotels in the area. Itend to stop in the area two nights a week.
Myton fold has a nice new extension , the exec rooms are good value at £70.00 breakfast included.
the setting is stunning and te golf course is a great hillside walk.
The staff are all charming, helpfull and friendly.
the only downside of the place is that the food is stuck in 1980s publand, and does not come close to comparison with food offered in all the other local hotels.

I will persevere with this place as evereything else is just right and great value for money, would not recommend going for the food.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your review. It is good to know where we are doing things well and where we can improve. At this moment in time our Chef is reviewing and updating our menus and these should be in place in the next month. We look forward to seeing you again here at Mytton Fold in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langho
Foxfields Country Hotel
Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Stirk House Hotel
Stirk House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Gisburn

Been to Best Western Ribble Valley Langho Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf? Share your experiences!