“A Lovely Small Hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Gloucester, England
“A Lovely Small Hotel”
Reviewed August 13, 2010

I first saw this hotel online and discovered it was part of Best Western. My heart sank because I had seen the quality of this chain decline rapidly over recent years. I booked it as I needed a hotel near to Blackburn.
I was really pleasantly surprised when I arrived at the hotel. It was in a very pleasant location amid some scenic countryside near a village just outside Blackburn. It was clear from driving up to the hotel, that some attention had been given to the grounds of the hotel, which were very pleasantly laid out and maintained.
Service at the reception was prompt and efficient; throughout my stay I found the staff to be very friendly and welcoming. I was shown to my room, which was a large lovely room toward the back of the hotel. The room was pleasantly decorated, it had a large bed, TV with satellite channels (something I always like to check), sofa, table, coffee facilities and free bottled water. The hotel also provided free wifi, a very positive point seeing as most charge exorbitant amounts for wifi access. The bathroom was clean, large and pleasantly decorated. My room had no windows only skylights, but plenty of them, with electrically operated blinds, nevertheless I would have liked to have been able to have a clearer view of the outside countryside. The room was also almost next to a railway line, thankfully not a busy one; the first train passed at 6.20 in the morning (which was also the time I usually wake up). I had the added bonus of a steam train passing while I was staying, I cannot guarantee you'll see that but if you stay on a Wednesday during the summer, you may be lucky. My only criticism of the bathroom was that the water in the morning was barely warm and the shower took a long time to even register 'tepid'.
The pleasant room, service, decor and location were all great positives for the hotel. The bar was a let down with no real ale. I only ate at the hotel for breakfast. The breakfast was fine, coffee was good, food was good and selection was fine. They did have Marmite (another thing I check). I was surprised to see crumpets available because there seemed no way of heating them. The breakfast arrangement was very strange; people on their own were seated in one room while couples were in another. I was in the singles room where all the desks, sorry tables, were facing the same way in rows a bit like being in an exam hall! I'm not sure why they did this arrangement for the two rooms, or why they separated singles from couples; there seemed to be a perfectly good larger room which could have seated all.
As a wedding or reception venue, this hotel would be lovely. For a small business meeting, it would also be ideal. For anyone travelling on business or just looking for a break in the countryside, this hotel would make an ideal place to stop.
All in all, little foibles cannot detract from what is a lovely and welcoming hotel.
I'm not into golf myself but the hotel does have a golf course attached, which could be an added bonus for businessmen, or anyone, who does have a penchant for hitting balls down little holes.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Deerwood
BBryan, Owner at Best Western Ribble Valley Langho Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf, responded to this review, September 17, 2010
Thank you very much for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Mytton Fold and hopefully will welcome you back sometime soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Reviewed August 2, 2010

A clean hotel with a good (although early) breakfast. Our room was comfortable and had been newly refurbished. The bar stayed open until 7am so it's a great place to stay if you're having a get together. No bar noise could be heard in the rooms.

• Stayed August 2010
BBryan, Owner at Best Western Ribble Valley Langho Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf, responded to this review, August 18, 2010
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review . We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Mytton Fold and we look forward to welcoming you back here in the future.
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Booked in to stay overnight as this was the locations for a family wedding. Grounds staff did a great job, getting everything in shape after at least a weeks solid rain. Attention to detail in the grounds was fantastic, especially nice as the hope was to have the wedding outside in a gazebo, which we did and I would recommend. Staff did everything they could to ensure the day went smoothly, great efficient service and just the right level, not being over intrusive. Excellant customer care the owners must be very proud off.

Public areas, function rooms and bars are modern, clean and inviting. Clearly an area they pay a lot of attention to and deservidly so. Great grassed courtyard/sheltered area that is a real suntrap during the afternoon and a dream to relax with a drink or three.

Its a shame the bedrooms dont all live up to these very high standards, especially given their rates. We where located in a room in the older part of the hotel and my advice would be to insist you get a room in the newer annex. The bathroom had mould on the ceiling, the shower was useless, the bedroom furniture was dreadfull and reminded me of a run down B&B. Missing light bulbs the list just goes on. Important basics such as clean linen and towels was fine but you expect more in this price bracket. The owners have clearly invested in new bedrooms and poeple in these rooms didnt have any complaints. But in my opinion the owners have let these rooms slip too far down the scale.

I would love to be able to give two ratings which would be 5 stars for the service and wedding and I am afraid only one for the bedrooms. But I have gone for an overall rating of very good.

Please dont let this review put you off using this hotel as a venue for a wedding or celebration as everything else was great. But ensure your guests are in the new rooms or the owners have refurbished the old rooms. I cant see how/why the owners would not refurbish as they clearly have in other parts of the Hotel and the management clearly care about the service they provide.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
BBryan, Owner at Best Western Ribble Valley Langho Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf, responded to this review, July 31, 2010
Thank you for posting your review. We are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your wedding function here at Mytton Fold. As you have said all areas in the hotel and in the new wing are either a brand new build or have been extensively refurbished. We are in the middle of a full refurbishment programme but due to occupancy levels in the bedrooms as you can appreciate we can only do a few at a time.
jon1664
Reviewed July 23, 2010

I have stayed here a few times in the last month, I have used most of the hotels in the area. Itend to stop in the area two nights a week.
Myton fold has a nice new extension , the exec rooms are good value at £70.00 breakfast included.
the setting is stunning and te golf course is a great hillside walk.
The staff are all charming, helpfull and friendly.
the only downside of the place is that the food is stuck in 1980s publand, and does not come close to comparison with food offered in all the other local hotels.

I will persevere with this place as evereything else is just right and great value for money, would not recommend going for the food.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your review. It is good to know where we are doing things well and where we can improve. At this moment in time our Chef is reviewing and updating our menus and these should be in place in the next month. We look forward to seeing you again here at Mytton Fold in the near future.
Burnley
Reviewed June 11, 2010

We held our youngest daughter's christening reception in the Ribble Suite on 30th May 2010. The service was very good, the food hot, plentiful and tasty. Graham was on hand to help out and made sure everything ran smoothly, thanks Graham you were a good laugh. Also thanks to Linda and Donna for their organisation. The room and tables were set out and decorated to my request and looked lovely. Some family members and ouselves stayed over in the new rooms. The rooms are spacious and modern with very comfy deep mattresses. We all sat together at a reserved table for breakfast which was nice. Thanks for making this day extra special.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
BBryan, Owner at Best Western Ribble Valley Langho Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf, responded to this review, July 26, 2010
Thank you very much for your lovely review. I have passed your comments to the staff. We are really pleased that you enjoyed the Christening Reception and your stay with us. We hope to welcome you back here at Mytton Fold sometime soon.
Lancs
Reviewed January 13, 2010

We recently stayed at Mytton Fold for a family wedding, and it was perfect. The staff were outstanding, catering to the guests every need, they even produced umbrellas for everyone as the snow came down. They made everything as easy as possible for the wedding party and I know the bride and groom were delighted with the effort the staff made for their special day.
The rooms were comfortable and had everything we needed.
All the food was top notch and the fry up in the morning was greatly received, with the staff bring fresh toast, tea and coffee to the table.
Great location, beautiful grounds, wonderful staff, comfortable rooms...all in all a superb stay.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
BBryan, General Manager & Owner at Best Western Ribble Valley Langho Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf, responded to this review, January 16, 2010
Thank you for your lovely review. We are really pleased that you enjoyed the wedding and your stay with us. We hope to welcome you back here at Mytton Fold sometime soon.
Warrington
Reviewed January 12, 2010

Mytton Fold ticks all the boxes. I recently got married at Mytton fold and had the most wonderful day at this fantastic hotel. The staff were absolute treasures to work with and like other reviewers have said, no request is too small for them. They do make you feel like yours is the only wedding that they have arranged with their undivided attention and care. Special thanks go to Donna who helped organise everything up to our big day and Faye, who was with us on the day. Many of our guests commented on how great they were.
The hotel itself is cosy and full of character. The food was absolutely delicious and the hot/cold buffet in the evening was fantastic. Breakfast was fantastic with the usual choices of fruit, cereals and the all important fry up. Staff were on hand to deliver hot toast and tea and coffee which makes a nice change to having a full self service environment.
The bridal suite was cosy and romantic; almost all rooms have been refurbished to a high standard. There are plenty of excellent locations with the hotel and grounds for photos, and the hotel itself is set in a beautiful valley.
I hope to be back year after year so that my new husband can finally get to play the golf course. Unfortunately the heavy snow prevented golf but looked heavenly on our wedding photographs. A huge thumbs up to Mytton Fold and the great staff that made our wedding day.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
BBryan, General Manager & Owner at Best Western Ribble Valley Langho Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf, responded to this review, January 15, 2010
Thank you for your wonderful review. It is so nice to know that we contributed to a day you hopefully will never forget. Yes the snow did look fantastic but like you said it doesn't suit the golfers. We look forward to welcoming you back to Mytton Fold hopefully sometime soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langho
Foxfields Country Hotel
Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
The Shireburn Arms
The Shireburn Arms
#1 of 4 in Clitheroe

Been to Best Western Ribble Valley Langho Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf? Share your experiences!