“A gastronomic delight and a greeting from the Michelin Star Chef himself!”
Review of Northcote Hotel

Northcote Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Langho
Halifax United Kingdom
“A gastronomic delight and a greeting from the Michelin Star Chef himself!”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We visited Northcote Manor for the 4th time on Saturday 12th October 2013. The hotel is undergoing significant refurbishment and the difference from two years ago to now is incredible. It will eventually have more rooms and a new kitchen amoungst other things but so far the improvements are really nice. We booked a Superior room overlooking the vegetable garden it has a terrace and is beautifully fitted. We normally go for the 7 course Taster menu so you can experience most of the dishes on offer in minature. Nigel Haworth came into the lounge to greet us and spoke at length about the ongoing works & improvements to the property. He is truly a culinary genius and the dishes we enjoyed were fantastic. Dishes included lobster, guinea fowl and roe deer, trout and one of the best ever soups we had ever tasted finished off with cheese and pudding. This is a ten out of ten experience but the price is not for the faint hearted. If you like food and dont mind paying for it you will never be dissappointed at Northcote manor. You can stay for one night only but will have to book well in advance for a friday or saturday. Already looking forward to the next time!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chris C
Craig_Jackson1, Guest Relations Manager at Northcote Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Chris,

What can I say apart from thank you for such a fabulous review! Its great to see that you enjoyed your experience with us again... and what better way to start your stay than a welcome from our Chef Patron Nigel.

The tasting menu is certainly the perfect way to enjoy here at Northcote, and as the seasons change so do out menu's so I thank you for such lovely comments.

I very much look forward to seeing you on your return visit, and hopefully we will be able to show you around the new private dining rooms, kitchen and bedrooms.

Until then...

Craig

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Ripon, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was recommended this hotel for the food, but was told 'you just feel looked after'. We certainly were looked after in every way from the moment we arrived (early), nothing was too much trouble. I have to say the food was excellent but the enthusiasm of every member of staff just made our stay. Can't wait to see the hotel when the building work has been completed, this did not disturb our break in any way, we were even notified before our arrival of on going work, the new part of the hotel will only enhance this gem of a place. We will definitely return. Thank you.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello,

Thank you very much for your lovely review of your recent visit to Northocote. It is great to see and hear that you enjoyed your experience with us.

As a small hotel we are able to give guests the attention and service to the standard you would expect and we certainly do love to look after our guests!

As we draw close to the end of our building works I really do value your comments about the minimal impact that it is having on the daily routine of our hotel. It really is going to be worth the wait, and we look forward to welcoming you back so that you can see the changes we have made!

Until next time.

Regards

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2013

My partner & I stayed here for the first time, for a 1 night tasting break, & I simply do not have a bad word to say.
The staff were extremely attentive, professional & friendly.
The decor & ambiance is excellent. I would highly recommend to anyone & I will be going back in the near future.

Room Tip: Room 14 has great views of the surrounding landscape
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig_Jackson1, Guest Relations Manager at Northcote Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. The team are always delighted to read such kind feedback and we are very lucky to have them here at Northcote.

As an independently run hotel we strive to make sure people feel at home here and so there is no greater compliment than your review.

I very much look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Langho.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here as a treat for a 'special' birthday. And what a treat it was! We had a beautiful, spacious room which lacked for nothing and an extremely comfortable bed. We had two amazing meals, and were lucky to have one cooked by Lisa Allen and the other by Nigel Haworth. Both superb. You can read my review of the food in the restaurant section. Highly recommended if you love food.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the trip from Chester to see us, and it is great to hear that you enjoyed your indulgence break with us!

I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your Special Birthday treat. It is always lovely when our guests enjoy eating in the restaurant and we very much hope to be able to tempt you back in the near future.

Thank you also for your photos of room 6.... it certainly is a lovely room in which to relax after enjoying your meal.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We were rather underwhelmed by the whole experience. The quality and presentation of the food was faultless though not outstanding but the lounge area and its gaudy boudoir decor does not lend itself to wanting to prolong the experience and is not particularly relaxing. What really irks me is the standard British rip off tactic of adding the 10% service charge to the bill. Why exactly? 10% for , in the case of afternoon tea , the serving of a one course meal.

We would not be inclined to return for lunch or dinner based on our experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank b737
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit with us.

It is saddening to hear that you felt "underwhelmed' by your visit, and your afternoon tea offering and would like to be able to discuss the matter in more details with you.

If you would be so kind as to contact me on guestrelations@northcote.com I would be more than happy to discuss in detail your experience a little further.

I look forward to hearing from you very soon.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Yet again, thoroughly enjoyed our Gourmet Experience and overnight stay at Northcote. The meal was superb and the accommodation excellent - certainly the best in the north-west.

My only reservation was the splashes of shocking pink in the newly-refurbished bar and lounge area. I'm sure advice was taken from an interior designer but I found these vivid highlights just a little jarring for my taste. Sorry!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. I am so pleased to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your Gourmet Experience.

The whole team thank you for your lovely comments, and for joining us here at Northcote.

Its disappointing to hear that you didn't like the splashes of pink the newly renovated bar and lounge areas, but I do hope that this will not stop you returning to Northcote for another visit.

I very much hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards

Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013

On 14th September we went as a party of 6 as a surprise treat to celebrate our son's 30th birthday. He watches all of the food programmes on the television and was keen to sample the delights created by one of his favourite chefs, the wonderfully talented Lisa Allen. My wife and I were taken by surprise by the refurbished lounge/bar area but we will get used to it. All of the staff were very professional and friendly and made us fell welcome and relaxed. The food and wine were sensational and we all had a brilliant evenings entertainment. Special thanks go to Lisa for coming out and chatting with us as a special treat for the birthday boy. He has some great photographs to remember the evening by !. I would urge anybody who enjoys fine dining and great service to pay Northcote a visit. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Craig_Jackson1, Guest Relations Manager at Northcote Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dave,

Firstly its great to hear that your son enjoyed his birthday celebrations with us, and I do believe you managed to keep your visit to us a secret right up until your journey to us...

The Food and with the wine flights is surely the best way to enjoy such a celebration with us. Lisa and our Sommelier Adam work tirelessly to ensure that they show off the very best of what we have to offer, and for your comments I thank you.

Its also great to see that you enjoyed your drink in the bar with Lisa. She is always more than happy to come and chat to guests about her cooking and menus and it seems your Son as a Fan of Lisa surely deserved a photo with Lisa!...

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not to distant future.

Craig Jackson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langho
Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Stirk House Hotel
Stirk House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Gisburn
Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa

Been to Northcote Hotel? Share your experiences!