“Absolutely brilliant”

Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Gisburn
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A warm welcome and friendly atmosphere awaits you in this cottage style restaurant, in the heart of the beautiful Ribble Valley, which offers exciting and genuinely traditional Italian cuisine. To ensure the highest quality only the best local produce is used in our dishes whilst our specialist food products and wines are supplied by small dedicated producers from various regions of Italy.
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We have been here several times and the restaurant sets a very high standard in terms of food quality as everything is beautifully cooked from scratch from high quality ingredients. The fixed price menus for early evening and Sunday offer very good value for such good food.

I find the owners very friendly and agreeable (with a typically Italian sense of humour) as well as being highly knowledgeable. Their food stands comparison with restaurants in Emilia and Romagna and is far removed from that of typical High Street so-called "Italian" restaurants in the UK. It must be one of the very best restaurants in the area as well as providing an authentic Italian experience.

The restaurant is situated in an old stone dwelling with exposed timbers and with most, but not all, of the dining tables being upstairs and the bar area downstairs. While this is not the place for a hurried meal, there is no pressure to vacate your table.

There is no car park so it is necessary to park in the street.

3  Thank Jonathan M

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Had a lovely weekend in Gisburn and found this Italian restaurant on the internet. We booked a table for Saturday night, on arrival we were greeted by a very hospitable Italian lady who seated us in a very cosy sofa to look at the menu and enjoy a pre dinner drink, after ordering our meals we were then taken to our table upstairs, where we were served our starters and our wine, the food, both starters and main course were excellent, I was concerned if i had made the right menu selection as there were so many that caught my eye, but I can strongly recommend the spaghetti with seafood steamed in the bag for flavour, my wife had the crab ravioli and was equally impressed with her meal. The restaurant is very cosy and comfortable, and spotlessly clean (toilets). We are returning to the area in October and cant wait to return. The Italian lady who I assume was the owner was lovely and very welcoming, If you are staying in the area you must give it a try....

5  Thank Juleski68
Reviewed September 3, 2013

As an ex-professional restaurant reviewer it always pains me to write a bad report on a place which has the potential to be great but is ruined by bad staff, this sadly is the case here. We went here as part of a package with a local B&B which was wonderful so we had high hopes of an equally pleasant evening,how wrong we were ! When my wife and I arrived ( about 8pm ) we were met by a very agressive lady ( ? ) who curtly informed us that our table was booked for 8.15 , at which point I felt like a naughty schoolboy being told off by the headmistress so things did not look promising. We sat down in the waiting area with other diners and given menus, which we studied avidly, then our " friend " appeared again, took them off us and said in a loud voice " you are from the B&B these menus are not for you and gave us a sheet to look at, making us very much feel and look like second class citizens. The whole place was a frenzy , staffed by this very bad - tempered lady and one lovely young waitress who seemed to be bullied constantly. My wife ordered fish soup and quite correctly the waitress replaced her knife with a spoon which was later rudely snatched away by our interfering " friend ", when my wife pointed out that she needed a spoon for soup , the lady said that she would need a knife which did make us wonder what sort of soup this was to be, perhaps a special Italian variety. She did then proceed to tell the young waitress off for some strange reason known only to herself, then came back with the spoon , my wife did suggest that she apologise to the waitress but this fell on deaf ears. The whole place was so noisy and chaotic due to the low staff numbers ( presumably difficult to get staff to work here ) a lot of children here even this late hour ( incidentally we were not shown to our table until after 8.45 so I don't know what the fuss about 8.15 was all about ), so although the food was very good and authentic until this lady really understands that she is in the wrong job it will always be an issue, the best course of action here would be to employ a proper front -of - house manager and let this lady count the beans in a back room away from customers, the only good reviews here must come from friends and family using Astro - Turf marketing principles ( this is where you get staff to write pretend reviews about poor businesses.)
At the end of the evening my wife asked the lady for a quiet word to explain our concerns and give constructive comments - this went down like a lead balloon , this lady is beyond redemption so if you want a nice romantic meal in a warm inviting atmosphere give this a wide berth.

21  Thank stephens89
Tinta1967, Owner at La Locanda, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

again as always it will be the chef patron to respond to your review.
Point one
my wife just said in very gentle manner the menu for the offer was another one and gave it to you,
point two
as an ex restaurant reviewer you should know what a mise en place is and have a correct knowledge between a starter and a main course
point three
my wife said to our waitress what it was wrong without shouting or bulling her
point four
your wife had argue with almost everybody in the restaurant and the only noise was the voice of your mentally instable wife (as few customer said) screaming and shouting
point five
I am very offended from your wife and your attitude as are offended the customer present that night in the restaurant because your wife offended a really nice lady with a three year old child without any reason, so I strongly think the person to avoid are you too or even better keep your wife away from any person because I am sure she will be capable to argue with her own shadow
hope your sad life get better (if not for you for the people they come across you and your wife)
Maurizio chef patron

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Found on Google maps! But lovely restaurant. Accomdated our 2 year old well (we did go quite early!) But beautifully cooked pasta and a great tiramisu and other desserts. Well priced at £35 approx per person for shared starters, main and desserts and a small amount of alcohol! Staff lovely and locally sourced meat

3  Thank kateneil82
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Went here in July and came across a very rude mad Italian mamma who wouldn't know customer service if it hit her in the face. A very poor choice on the menu, when we asked if they did pizza she nearly exploded with rage and told us we needed to go to a pizzeria. After surveying the menu we left and had a fantastic meal at the pub just down the road.

13  Thank hilltopfrog

to respond it will not be the Italian mamma but the husband and chef patron,
I found your review very rude and with a prominent racist note.
I can quite understand your way of telling things because your brain level will not support any better language and manners, but your memory will certainly recall that you had drinks which you did not pay before leaving .SO PLEASE CALL IN (not because I am desperate to see you or your wife face) but because I want the bill settled thank you Maurizio