“Great Food”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We visited Whinney Brow on Saturday 1st June 2013 and had one of the best meals we have ever had. We both had a black pudding starter and were impressed by the wonderful tastes and textures. I had the lamb chops for main and my wife had a smoked haddock dish. Both were excellent. The house wine was really good and a very reasonable price .
We were too full for puddings this time, but will be going back again to try them as well.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

We only decided on the day to meet my son and his partner for late Sunday Lunch at the Whinney Brow and reserved a table for four. On the way my eldest son rang and we invited him, his wife and three children to join us. We called the restaurant ahead and they were very helpful and accommodating. So we now had a party that had increased from 4 to 9 and ages ranged from 4 years old to 63 whose birthday it was.
We were welcomed by Mark who was very friendly and helpful and he had prepared a table for 9 that been put together for us. We had drinks sitting outside in the rare sunshine of a Sunday afternoon. The meals ranged from Sunday lunch, bagettes to sausage beans and chips for the children. The main courses were meat, fish (pan fried Sea Bass) and vegetarian. The meat courses were slow roast beef and slow roast lamb. Any food that is slow cooked shows the Chef has spent a lot of time and energy preparing a very special meal. I ordered the lamb but was told it was not available but slow roast pork was, which I preferred and ordered and still had a Yorkshire pudding! We ate indoors and we felt very comfortable with very young children. Although we did not have starters we all had desserts ranging from single scoop ice-creams for the children to jam roly poly and custard and a cheescake with rhubarb and ginger that really was out of this world. Despite friendly requests to the Chef Stewart for the recipe we did not 'extract' it from him.
After dinner we went outside where I had a coffee and the rest of the party played on the Crazy Golf Course (part of the restaurant). Enjoyed by children and adults alike.
We arrived at 1.30pm and when we finally left I was shocked to see it was 6.00pm, the time had simply flown by and we had all enjoyed ourselves.
I understand that in the evenings table cloths and candles are put on the tables for a more formal dining experience and I must return for this experience.
Whilst we were there, there were other diners and during the afternoon, customers turned up for afternoon tea etc and of course the chance to play Crazy Golf!
This really is a very flexible establishment and is a gem.
I understand Stewart the Chef opened in November 2012, good luck to Stewart and his staff and I hope it is successful for them. The mix they are catering for works well and I hope it is 'Open All Hours'.

Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Dropped in here late afternoon for lunch. Number of people eating but not packed. Service could have been a little friendlier. Clearing of tables needs some improvement. Food is very good with an excellent selection. Free mini golf will appreciated by families.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We went as a small group. The food is excellent; we had scallops with pancetta and pidgeon breasts followed by sea bass and duck legs. Sounds fairly standard? but wait til you taste the sauces, the wonderful tasty tomatoes and baby veg that come with it. Rhubarb mess has just the right amount of tartiness and sweetnes. The service comes with a smile and nothing is too much. Well worth a second (and third) visit! Enjoy!

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We had bought a half price voucher from our local radio station so decided to try this restaurant. I took my husband and Mother in Law. The interior is modern but very comfortable and the staff were very attentive.
The menu choice small but I could have ordered anything off the menu as it all was right up my street - produce being sourced locally too - always a bonus.
Having ordered we were presented with 2 different hot canapes to indulge in while we waited.
Excellent! The starters were fabulous and well presented. While we waited for main course we were presented with another small morsel of delightful food. Fabulous! The main courses and desserts were also of the same high standard. All in all a really excellent meal - maybe a little too expensive at full price for evryday eating out but we are so glad we have found a new restaurant for those special occasions and will definately return. Might be nice if they did an early bird menu?

stuart w, Owner at Whinney Brow Eating House, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Thank you for your review of our restaurant and we are pleased that you enjoyed your evening with us.
We are going to be offering an early bird menu from the 2nd of May from 4pm - 6pm. The prices will be from £10 for a 2 course meal.
hopefully we will be seeing you soon.
Stuart