“Only Average”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We purchased a saver voucher from Dealmonster after seeing a good advertising campaign in our local weekly paper. The voucher was valid until 31st March and we left it til the last day to use it and drove almost 30 miles to sample a mid afternoon meal. On entering the restaurant we felt it had more of a cafeteria feel to it. We ordered drinks and sat at a table of our choice in the bar area as there was quite a lot of noise coming from the other area of the restaurant. On looking around we noticed the wood floor was quite dirty and the bases of the tables needed a good clean. We where given the Sunday lunch menu and made our choices. I had a goats cheese tartlet [ very nice ] and my wife had soup which she enjoyed. My main of a roast beef dinner arrived. 3 very thin slices of beef swimming in gravy where like you would get in a meal for one. The carrots/cabbage/mash/roasties where ok but soon went cold as the plate was not too hot. My wife had pan fried salmon on a bed of mash with carrots/cabbage and roast potato's. This was served on a slate but she said it wasn't very tasty and not very hot. My sticky toffee pud was a little over cooked which makes it like a piece of sponge with ice cream and a very sweet sauce. My wife just had a coffee. Reviews of this restaurant are mixed and if the owner wants people to travel to sample the food then he will have to up his game a little. We in the Ribble Valley have some amazing places to eat and to compete with them and to get people to travel the 30 or so miles to Forton then consistency in the reviews are a must. A womans touch to add a few things here and there would also add to the ambience of the interior of the restaurant.

1  Thank bigyak

Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We loved the food last time we visited, but had a bit of a wait.
This time the food was even more amazing, if belly pork is on the menu make sure you order it!
Quite a few in at 6.15 on a Saturday evening but no wait at all. Fantastic all round. Definitely worth the 1/2 hour drive from home.
Look forward to returning.

1  Thank JOY K
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I visited last weekend with a few friends and from the minute we walked in everything was perfect. We visited at an evening. We were greeted by friendly, well-mannered staff that couldn’t have done anything more from us. We sat down on our table in the beautiful conservatory (Not cold) which I thought had a lovely little touch to it. The restaurant was well decorated with lovely table clothes candles and lovely music playing in the background. We ordered a bottle of the Rose wine (the Zinfandel) which was perfect. We had looked on the website prior to our visit but we knew that menus can change (The Menu on the website is a sample menu that does provide the reader with an overview of what they do offer. The menu we received last weekend was perfect and could not fault it one bit)
For my starter I had the Goat cheese Tart which melted in my mouth my 2 friends had the black pudding and the mushrooms both said how beautiful they were. For my main I had the Lamb and oh my goodness I am 42 and have never eaten anything so beautiful before. The Lamb was perfect (Massive compliments to the chef to not change this dish) and the mashed potatoes were amazing ( I want to know your secret). I think the review underneath referring the mashed potatoes to Smash obviously don’t know what real food is. The mashed potatoes were so creamy and perfect! For dessert I had the sticky toffee pudding I am a massive fan of this dessert and I have had many before but yet again Whinney Brow Eating house you topped that perfectly as well the pudding was so soft melted in my mouth and the butterscotch sauce WOW. Seriously Whinney Brow well done you are a lovely little restaurant that uses fresh local Produce and we have booked to come again next weekend. You will go long way continue with what you are doing. Well done everyone!

Reviewed March 24, 2013

My wife & I purchased the DealMonster voucher for £20 allowing us to purchase up to £40 of food. I feel we just about got a meal worthy of £20 & there are a good few eating places nearby that could have served us with more than we consumed for that £20. We struggled initially to get into the restaurant as the entrance door had been locked due to the high winds & a notice on the entrance door advising such would have helped & I had to let someone in even they were knocking loudly on the door. We both decided to choose from the daytime menu as the evening menu wouldn't have allowed us to have more than 2 courses & with some extra to pay. We ordered the same 3 course meal of leek & potato soup, cheese & onion pie, chips & veg & apple crumble & ice cream. The service wasn't quick but we certainly didn't have to wait as long as some of the other reviews though we were the only ones in at the time. The soup was nicely presented & with a nice hot roll with butter & initially whilst we were eating the soup with the roll all was fine. When we both came to have the soup on it's own we were both left choking as the pepper in the soup was extreme & we both left a good half of it. We felt with leaving such an amount the waiter would have asked if everything was alright (which he didn't with any of the courses) with the soup but nothing & we left it at that. If we had been paying the full price of £4.50 pp we definitely would have said something. Whilst waiting for the courses the waiter was pleasant & struck up some conversation. The main course certainly couldn't be described as "belly busting" for the quoted price of £8.95 pp & the vegetable portion given with it was slight. We both found the cheese & onion pie very tasty though. The portion size was the same for the sweet & again at the quoted price of £5.95 pp didn't come up to value. All in all the meal offered comfortable portions but for a daytime menu in a rear conservatory charging £39 for 2 three course meals is way to expensive for us & we won't return.

stuart w, Owner at Whinney Brow Eating House, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

I didn't realise when I opted to sell vouchers on deal monster what a mistake it would be. We are a small restaurant that prodominantly uses local producers, we cook everything on site and all meals are cooked to order. The idea of using vouchers was to give new customers an introduction to our food and the concept of quality home produced food. It never crossed our minds that at least 85% of the deal monster customers would never visit us again unless they had an other voucher, we also thought that by putting a relitivly high price on the voucher (£40?) this should attract people that appreciate good food and drink. It never entered my mind that a high % of deal monster voucher customers would try to get as much food as they could for £40 (£20 cost to them) and sit and drink one drink throughout the meal or even just have water.
A well made leek and potatoe soup and freshly baked bread roll, home made cheese and onion pie using nothing but local tasty lancashire cheese, sliced onions, free range eggs, double cream as a filling and home made short crust pastry to encase it served with hand cut Maris piper chips and vegetables followed by stewed Bramly and cox apples with just a dash of cinnamon amd caster sugar topped with an home made crumble topping then ice cream produced only down the road. Times that by 2 for the cost of £20 to the customer must be a bargin in anyone's mind especially when we give an endless supply of water fo nothing!
Thanks for your custom.
Ps sorry about the weather!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Visited a few weeks ago with my husband on a friday evening.The welcome and service was very friendly and attentive without being too intrusive.The food was very good quality,real meat as I call it and locally sourced which is as it should be.The little appetizers in between the main courses were a lovely idea.Well worth a visit.

1  Thank cornyd