“What a waste of a beautiful place”
Review of Th'owd Tithe Barn

Th'owd Tithe Barn
Ranked #6 of 29 Restaurants in Garstang
Cuisines: Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Dating back as early as 1710, The Tithe Barn is a charming and characterful inn situated in the bustling market town of Garstang, adjacent to the River Wyre. Originally a post medieval tithe barn for storing grain and corn, the pub today offers a large range of high quality dishes alongside extensive portfolio of cask conditioned ales, fine wines, spirits and continental bottled beers. Our Head Chef and his team at the Tithe Barn have carefully sourced the best of this season's produce to ensure everything on our menu is grown, reared, caught, picked or churned by one of our local food suppliers within a twenty mile radius. We have sourced quality, fresh ingredients from the best local producers to lovingly create these dishes for you. So relax, make your choice and enjoy!
“What a waste of a beautiful place”
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Booked a meal in here after remembering visiting this place often as a child 25 years ago and remembering its charm. The location and settings haven't changed a bit and still the same great smell coming from the wonderful fire but that's unfortunately where it stops, I booked a table in the afternoon for my wife and 2 kids as advised by the chap I spoke with, as they get busy on a Friday. when we arrived the lady who attended to us knew nothing of the booking, although I saw him writing in an empty diary, no matter we were asked to sit at any available table and place an order, we were given a menu (1 between 4 of us) the kids ordered small pizza for starters and a kids burger and a pasta in tomato sauce . I ordered the large burger and my wife the inferno burger.
So the pizza arrived with what I can describe as a ketchup sauce , soft base and cold melted cheese and a salad garnish covered in salad cream? It's hard enough or get my kids to eat salad without a dressing but at least make it nice. They ate most of it as kids do when they are hungry but lost interest ( it didn't taste good at all) the mains were a disaster the kids burger was processed rubbish, my burger looked great but tasted of cheap meat the fries were over cooked and greasy, my daughters pasta was covered with some kind of tomato relish nonsense ( nowhere near a plain tomato sauce ) and my wife's inferno burger had lost its fire along the way and again using cheap tasteless meat. When my kids refused a dessert after not eating a meal I had to give in and write this review. I run a successful bar and restaurant in the highlands ( not without their issues!) and know only to well what the problem is here - they need to get a chef who cares about quality locally sourced food and feedback. the barman's service was ok and the manageress ( or owner?) had a lovely manner and deserves to do well but needs to quality check all dishes, it's an easy fix. With a good chef and a new menu launch you will fill the place everyday-with regulars, making it a necessity to book! This place was a great childhood memory to me and I hope they succeed - but I
fear it needs to be with drastic
change to back of house.
Until then we sadly won't be returning

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank AJK1111

“Never going back”
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Sunday lunch, lots of people drinking outside in a sunny afternoon. Inside dark dingy and dirty. Food was cold, plates cold chicken and bacon cold. Took almost an hour to get food. Sunday roast very fatty Yorkshire discs/puddings awful. Everyone was complaining and asking for money back. What a shame this place used to be buzzing.

2 Thank Tracey J
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Abysmal food”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Visited because it was a starred entry in the Good Pub Guide. Location was good and the beer fine but the food was awful. I had the pie of the day. It came with a bit of puff pastry on top which, instead of being the usual golden brown, was alabaster white and had the consistency of blotting paper. The filling was supposed to be chicken, leak and mushroom but, to my taste buds, the only connection with any bird of that name was that it was foul. I had smelled the cooking fat from the car park, and my senses didn't mislead me as the chips had that unmistakeable taste of being fried in oil which should have been changed. I managed to eat the frozen peas but left most of the rest. My wife had chicken Caesar salad, which lived up to its name only in the sense that it had been murdered a long time ago

4 Thank Al H
Lancashire
“Great Lunch”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Had a very enjoyable team lunch with 10 colleagues. Wide choice of food available, excellent meal and large portions too. The setting inside the restaurant was very well designed with old fashioned farming and canal boat paraphernalia throughout. Tables were available outside which overlooked the canal wharf.
Staff were pleasant, only issue we had was a a couple in the party had to go looking for cutlery for the main course.
Overall, a very good establishment and would recommend.

Out Rawcliffe, United Kingdom
“Its got the Location”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Enyoyed a perfectly acceptable sunday lunch here, sat outside next to the canal, its in such a lovely spot. I couldnt rave about the food, it was ok, typical pub chain fayre. THe staff were pleasant. Seem well supported by locals.

Visited September 2013