“Afternoon tea”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Farington
Widnes, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

The place is very nice, we went for afternoon tea and the room needed a bit of redecorating and more flowers it was a very plain room although it had been a very grand room in it's day, we were given I pot of tea between 3 and a pot of hot warmer the cups had seen better days and had chips in them, we were given no menu and were brought out a 3 Tier cake stand with finger sandwiches of egg, cheeses and tomato, smocked salmon and chicken, and a variation of cakes plus 2 scones each with jam and clotted cream, to many cakes we all agreed, and would like to of had a say in what sandwiches we had...... The grounds are lovely and would be nice for a wedding.

Room Tip: Average price for afternoon tea.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Annie D
Faringtonlodgehotel, General Manager at Farington Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. We look forward to welcoming you back to Farington Lodge Hotel in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Blackrod, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

If I was writing a review for the Wedding Day alone - 5 stars and beyond my wildest dreams. Simon was great throughout the day, keeping us informed of where everything was up to and what was going on, the staff were all incredibly helpful and genuinely make you feel like it's the most important thing they have every done helping you, even though they do it 2 or 3 times a wee. The food was beautiful and nothing was too much trouble for anyone.

However, Liza who was the wedding co-ordinator when we initially booked could not have been less interested each time we went to see her - we were full of excitement for one of the most memorable and happiest days of our lives, she would be almost yawning and not even capable of calling my husband the correct name!! Fortunately, she had left by the time out wedding came around on 21st March, which was undoubtedly a blessing.

The morning after the wedding was really well co-ordinated and we had a lovely breakfast served in another room all together. Everybody paid, said how beautiful it all was and said our farewells. My husband and I went on honeymoon and all was well ... until we returned and I had voicemails stating that family members had not paid. Obviously, I thought this was strange - turns out that everybody had of course paid but Farington Lodge had decided that £125 per room for night for the evening of the wedding (we booked the whole hotel) and £89 per room for the night before (we had about half the hotel) was not adequate - even though this was the agreed price. They sent letters and hounded via telephone asking people to pay more!! Even if they hadn't paid enough - it would have been the hotels mistake and they should have accepted that. However, they had charged correctly and still opted to try and charge more. Most upsetting was that they tried to contact my Grandma who has Alzheimer's - thankfully this was intercepted by my sister in law. Really did put a complete dampener on what was a wonderfully perfect day.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Faringtonlodgehotel, General Manager at Farington Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor, I understand the outstanding balance from one of the guests has now been settled and I apologise for any misunderstanding this may have caused you. Thank you for choosing Farington Lodge Hotel for your wedding and I hope you have many happy memories of the day.
Darwen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

I booked the restaurant for 12 colleagues who had travelled from Hong Kong to meet in Leyland during the day. I had to modify the booking at the last minute and this was no problem for the restaurant. We arrived a little late but this was absolutely no problem to the staff. We were welcomed into the bar area and presented with a really good table d'Hote menu. The staff were really patient whilst taking the orders and we were directed to a private side room which was immaculately set out. The quality of the food was excellent, delicious and extremely well presented. The staff were very accommodating when a mistake was made with the sweet order and very quickly responded to put my guests at ease.
All in all, a very positive experience, thoroughly enjoyed by all of my guests and which I would have no hesitation in repeating.
Well done and and many thanks Farington Lodge!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Countrymen
Faringtonlodgehotel, General Manager at Farington Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your dinner at Farington Lodge Hotel and look forwrd to welcoming you back again in the future.
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

We chose Farington Lodge as the venue for a small family gathering, as we wanted a private room we could all relax in. and in the local area Farington Lodge provided us with the perfect solution at a reasonable price. We couldn't have chosen anywhere better. The staff were extremely helpful even down to making small adjustments to the set 'Easter Sunday menu' due to the ' fussy ' eaters we had in our party. We were allocated our own waiter for the afternoon and we were able to take our time which was great as some of the family hadn't seem each other for years. The meals were all fantastic, compliments to the chef.
Even thou a wedding was taking place we were looked after very well
We'll be back again. !!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank CaroleR9
Faringtonlodgehotel, General Manager at Farington Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on Trip Advisor. I am delighted you all enjoyed your family Easter luncheon. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Southport
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Family wedding,the hotel was a great venue, the staff made it feel special. The room for the wedding was beautifully set, then change to the reception.
The food both day and evening was tasty and presented lovely.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Faringtonlodgehotel, General Manager at Farington Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Thank you for your comments and for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed the day and I look forward to welcoming you back to Farington Lodge Hotel in the future.
Leicester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

Stayed here for a wedding and paid £125 for a room. Staff were less than welcoming,apart from a lovely Asian cleaner and the Sunday receptionist . It took 15 minutes for the bar man to find a bottle of whisky for the bar and 20 minutes for a pot of tea to arrive. In the morning there was no hot water for the shower! The shower cubicle would have benefited from a steam clean and perhaps the maintenance person would like to attach the bathroom fittings securely. However, the wedding appeared to be well managed by the hotel and the wedding dinner was well cooked. Unfortunately, the breakfast had over scrambled eggs and, again, unwelcoming staff. Having stayed in many four and five star hotels around the world,this hotel was a great disappointment (standing as it does in beautiful grounds and retaining many original features). It needs to address its staff training, maintenance regime, and stock replenishment. What a pity. Oh and I filled in an evaluation/ feedback form but the hotel never contacted me. Very expensive for the service and quality of experience provided.Ensure a warm welcome, better quality of cooked breakfast, welcoming staff and hot water and I'd be delighted to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank felitze
Thank you for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor and for your comments, which I shall investigate further. Please accept my apologies for any disappointment caused.
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Okay it's not a bland 'every room looks the same' - Hilton or Holiday Inn hotel as it's a hotel with some character.

The staff were excellent and did exactly what you would expect... Service with a smile and very attentive, which made a big change from the 'I'm doing you a favour' service you receive in so many places these days.

I've stayed in about 20 hotels so far this year and looking back at my stay at the Farington I had the best night's sleep and the most interesting and spacious room so far.

Have already booked my next business stay here.... Longer this time.

Well done to the ladies on reception and the restaurant staff.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Faringtonlodgehotel, General Manager at Farington Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Thank you for your comments and taking the time to write on Trip Advisor. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Farington Lodge Hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farington
Hallmark Hotel Preston Leyland
Shaw Hill Hotel, Golf & Country Club
Wellington Park
Wellington Park
#2 of 2 in Leyland
Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Bartle Hall Country Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Preston South

Been to Farington Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!