Astley Bank Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Fernhurst Lodge(Blackburn)
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewssunday lunchold housegrounds are beautifullovely hotelexcellent foodrooms are comfortablehidden gemwhole experiencewedding venuemain buildingbooked this hotelpuddingseparate showerthree coursesmaster of ceremoniesper headovernight stay
Reviewed September 11, 2011

First impressions are of a very lovely building in beautifully kept grounds that makes the short walk from the carpark delightful. The inside of the hotel matches it's exterior, very elegant in the public areas, apart from the rather pokey little bar, which appears to be almost an after thought. My room was a lovely size, very tastefully decorated and with an excellent bathroom. Walls are perhaps a bit thin, or maybe I had a person who was hard of hearing across from me.....
I've stayed here a couple of times and don't get me wrong, I've nothing against weddings....just hope that when you stay here there isn't one being held in the Hotel. The first time I had a lovely leisurely steak dinner, nicely served in the busy but not overcrowded restaurant. Likewise breakfast, lots of choice, very tasty and served by very attentive staff.
The second time coincided with a wedding being held in the hotel....dinner took an age to get served ( and to get my order right ) and the same steak I had enjoyed so much the first time I was here was a big disappointment the second time around. It was impossible to get a drink in the empty bar and I went to bed early, only to be awoken by some rather rowdy and inconsiderate wedding guests in the early hours. Breakfast next day was a bit of a let down as well, the wrong order delivered, served lukewarm by a waitress who was rushed off her feet by the overnight guests. I realise that weddings are probably the bread and butter of this hotel's trade, especially at weekends, but they really should staff up accordingly.
The marks I've given reflect the first weddingless night I stayed here and , if I'm in Blackburn again, I'd be more than happy to stay here.....I would just check that there isn't a wedding on that night !!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
11  Thank Fenaloni1
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We had a superb Sunday lunch at Astley Bank. The food was excellent and the service was superb. We had a lovely time with our family today and will certainly be back.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Astley Bank has always provided friendly service and certainly beat hands down some of the larger chains. Attentive service is their best asset in a period building that is generally well maintained with great grounds.

But its the resturant or more accurately the kitchens that make the difference. They have never disappointed and customers apprecite the time and effort put into the menus. Service is always polite and unobtrusive.

If I was being critcal, while they have invested in the conference rooms they could do with a refresh. Rooms are comfortable and what you whould expect from this class of establishment. Also wifi ineternet access is availble for guest who require this.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Derek H
Reviewed December 30, 2010

We attended Astley bank for a wedding of friends' of ours and the place was fantastic.

It's in really nice grounds, the staff are very friendly, the wedding was organised really well and the food was superb (both wedding meal and breakfast).

We didn't spend too much time in our room but it was very clean, spacious and had no grumbles at all. It was also very quiet once the wedding had finished.

Deffo worth considering for a special do.

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank JuddyManchester
Reviewed December 4, 2010

We had our wedding at the Astley Bank in October 2010 and could not have wished for a more perfect day. The whole experience was fabulous. The hotel is beautiful and and spotlessly clean and the rooms, in the old part of the hotel, are all individual with character. We stayed in the bridal suite which is stunning. We especially like the stained glass window at the top of the stairs for the background of the photos.All the staff are very friendly and warm and went out of their way to accomodate any requests. The food was amazing and most guests commented on how much they enjoyed it. I would definitely recommend the hotel and wish i could go through the whole experience again.

• Stayed: October 2010