“Lovely Sunday lunch”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

This is the second time my husband and I have been here. We came both times for Sunday lunch. The whole duration we spent in the hotel was about two hours. They look after you really well and make sure you have everything you need without being in your face. The menu had a good.selection. The food was delicious, well presented and homely. Great value for three courses. We didn't feel rushed and enjoyed every minute. We came for our anniversary and the restaurant had made the effort to decorate our table. Would recommend

1  Thank laura r

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I love Astley Bank! Being ranked #6 restaurant in Darwen (at the time I wrote this) is not a reflection on Othellos restaurant but on the people of Darwen who value a cheap meal rather than a meal of quality! I have visited Astley Bank on numerous occasions and I have to say that it is the most consistent restaurant that never fails to deliver fine food of exceptional quality. In terms of pricing, this is also reasonable in terms of value for money, a 3 course meal with coffee averages at £22pp which is very good considering the quality of the food. You are always welcomed at Astley Bank by friendly staff that deliver excellent service, which begins with a tasty canapé (a complimentary treat). We always have a fantastic meal at Astley Bank and would recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Othello's Restaurant is located inside Astley Bank Hotel. I have stayed at Astley Bank on 5 different month-long business trips and find the food simply superb. The entire staff is warm, attentive and accommodating. The chefs prepare fresh, high quality, sumptuous fare served on warm plates with an appealing presentation. You will not be disappointed.

1  Thank Leo H
Reviewed July 31, 2013

£120 for 4 people, 2 courses each and a bottle of wine. Given the reviews we were expecting quite good food, but every meal disappointed. First of all, square plates; a ridiculous idea which wastes table space and makes the small portions look even smaller. Secondly, large but thin steaks don't cook well. The steaks were both tough and tasteless. We could see that the Chef, (who wasn't in the kitchen) had tried to create something different on his menus, but the food was badly cooked, badly presented and final bill only served to increase the bitter after-taste. We are not interested in gardens, decor or even the service for that matter, it's the food that counts -and this is where Othello's lets you down.

3  Thank anton b
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I am finding it difficult to find fault with our dining experience for the table of 9 when we dined here.
The service certainly measured up to the high standard of food. The staff were professional & attentive without being pushy.
Every single person at our table not only admired the faultless presentation of the food but the balance of flavours was Devine.
I can't wait to go again, we have dined before on the Sunday lunch menu and that was spectacular.
If I was MADE to find fault - then perhaps gentle music in the lounge bar? But our conversation flowed and it wasn't missed.
I really hope this gorgeous setting, professional staff and amazing food get recognised with a STAR one day soon, because they deserve it.