“Refined and elegant in a country pub.”
Review of Freemasons Arms

Freemasons Arms
Reserve with OpenTable
Freemasons Arms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 143 Restaurants in Clitheroe
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We have been several times to the freemasons and have enjoyed ourselves every time. We particularly enjoy visiting in the warmer months when we can sit in the sunshine and dine outside. We dont take our children with us as i dont think they would appreciate the presentation and quality of the food and as other reviewers have said its not cheap. But you get what you pay for.
We had the seasonal set menu two courses for £17. The service is excellent and the staff are very polite, professional and attentive. We both had the ham hock for starters which i dont think sounds that exciting but it was delicious. Everything is always well presented and tastes superb. The bread selection you are offered is normally lovely too but was a little disappointed there was only one choice on this occasions. For main course i had the hake which was nice but would have prefered to have the lamb which my husband had which was amazing. Overall another lovely, relaxing, quiet, a little bit special type of meal. Thoroughly enjoyable and i even like the lovely glasses that the wine is served in. Will return for the lamb soon.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

In some restaurants and the food dances around your pallet like a symphony flavour with all the subtle little combinations coming together to make a wondrous dining experience, In other restaurants it’s like being hit in the face with a brick of flavour, Freemasons definitely falls into the brick in the face category.

Do not be mistaken in thinking food is bad, it is in fact the food is quite the opposite but with it being both pub and a restaurant you should go there with the expectation of strong bold flavours that will enlighten your pallet even if you order a pint of bitter.

My most recent trip to Freemasons was 01/04/2013 but I will confess I have attended this restaurant probably 10 times in the last 2 years and it is a favourite of mine.

The menu at Freemasons is a 3/3/3 so, 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 deserts now the menu changes pretty much weekly so if you don’t like it then don’t worry there will be a new menu next week, if you are a vegetarian Freemasons does not cater for you, even if you are one of those PESKY’tarians who eat fish it comes with duck fat chips and all other unhealthy loveliness so probably best you stay away.

Now onto my meal

To start I ordered the Munster Crab which slapped my around the face with fishy crabby amazing’ness, the fennel and apple puree offer a sweet and crunchy contrast in both flavour and texture making it a amazing starter. My parter ordered the pea soup with smoked haddock cream again the flavours were amazing with pieces of haddock in the soup some sort of haddock rice crispy on top to add texture.

For main we both ordered roast beef and when it came it looked fantastic with a little pot of cauliflower cheese came for the side. The flavours in the sauce were unreal it had power and punch everything on the plate was perfect.

My only slight complaint if I was being critical would be, I think the beef was cooked in a water bath and while that gives you perfectly cooked pink meat, the flavours you can impart using other methods sometimes makes for a more intense flavour.

This however is the only thing I can pick on about the food, everything else from the mash, the Yorkshire, the parsnip, THE ROAST POTATOS IN DUCK FAT, everything was cooked perfectly and that incredible sauce made sure everything combined perfectly on the fork no matter what you decided to have a taste of.

WARNING: The horseradish sauce could launch a rocket into outer space be careful, but get it as it is amazing.

For desert I ordered the Chocolate Pave with hazelnut I cream which I thought I was onto a winner, rich chocolate nutty yet refreshing ice cream and popcorn (they don’t make it like that at the cinema) which was rich refreshing and light enough to end the meal.

I then made a mistake I tried my partners lemon tart with pistachio I cream, I think I will carry this food envy with me to the grave. The tart had a brulee top to it for texture, so after the initial crunch you would get this smack of sharp lemon which you think it a little too strong but a milky ice cream taste mellows out the pallet and just as you think it’s finished this pistachio flavour coats your mouth in a nutty hug, My partners desert was one of the nicest things I have tasted in a long time and I only got one spoon full..

This is not the place for fussy eaters or vegetarians but if you like flavour this is without doubt the place for you. Finally whatever you do if you see the words lemon & tart on the menu order it, otherwise you will be living in a eternal state of food envy!

Bill with no alcohol was £60

1  Thank JIARuk
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

After a 2 hour walk up to Pendleton from Wiswell and up to the Nick O Pendle we were rest for our meal. Crab starters were simply delicious, one lamb main and one fish pie. Again thoroughly delicious. Attention to detail was great. It's cosy inside and our chef-patron was out seeing how people were enjoying themselves. Great real ales too. I would definitely return. The menu isn't large but the good was great quality.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We went to the Freemasons for my Fathers 90th birthday treat. Wish we had gone somewhere else. All three of us ordered ribeye steak (either medium or medium-rare), it was a struggle to cut it with the steak knives provided, we all three had to remove the chewed steak from our mouths (tried a little more which was the same). We told the young lady the the steaks were inedible and that we would like something else to eat. We then had fish of the day halibut which was good costing £22.95 each. We were told that they would speak to their suppliers about the tough meat. The bill arrived for the full amount which I was surprised about given how bad our first dish was. At my request they did knock the price of the bottle off wine off the bill but weren't forthcoming to do so. The young lady was apologetic but unfortunately the Manager was less so. Overall a very dissapointing 90th birthday treat!
Will not be returning.

18  Thank RibbleValleyCarol
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We ate in the evening, upstairs, and four of us had the gourmet tasting menu with matching wines. The whole experience was memorable.....the welcome, the inventive and delicious food, and the high standard of service from the young and enthusiastic team. We all agreed this was one of the very best meals we have had anywhere.
This is not a cheap option, but for a special celebration, the value is terrific. We shall definitely return next time we have something to celebrate.