“I'll be back...”
Review of Freemasons Arms

Freemasons Arms
Reserve with OpenTable
Freemasons Arms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 145 Restaurants in Clitheroe
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 22, 2012

My husband and I seek out restaurants in the Northwest for the occasional culinary "treat". We selected Freemasons based on its on-line menu and Bib Gourmand status and dined for the first time on Saturday the 21st of April. We received a warm welcome and enjoyed a pre-diner drink while taking in the pleasant surroundings. Staff were attentive without being overbearing and kept both water and alcohol flowing. We opted for the 7 course tasting menu and left feeling filled to the brim . The watercress soup and crab courses were personal favourites and although the main course of lamb was a little too salty for our palates, we felt the food was of exceptional quality and represented excellent value for money. The ingredients and cooking techniques showcased the chef's talents and prompted discussion whilst tasting each dish. We would most certainly go back and will recommend to fellow foodie fans.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Visited in April 2012 for our anniversary. In summary the food is fantastic quality at a level I have only previously experienced in Michelin starred restaurants. The difference being that it is far less "stuffy" than the aforementioned. Everything from the service to your table, the bread, the starter, the main and the most fantastic desserts is first class. The wine list extensive but surprisingly not that expensive. There's a small bar where you can sample local fine ales or perhaps a great Champagne based cocktail (we had Bellini's). We will return (we have two small boys and we previously visited and sampled the Sunday lunch which was excellent!).

One minor tip. We stayed overnight at a nearby hotel (Best Western Higher Trapp - 5 miles) and took cab both to/from the Freemason's. The cab there was almost £7 cheaper than the firm the Freemason's recommended.

Reviewed April 1, 2012

Went for dinner on Friday 30th March

Greeted by lovely friendly front of house memeber of staff

We both elected to have the seasonal menu 3 courses for £15

Nice choice on menu of unusual dishes all of which were presented to michelin star level
A taste experience
Will go again SOON..................

Reviewed March 26, 2012

Firstly we had a great night out there and my starter was great (crab) but there were a few issues we had that could easily be sorted that would make the dining experience better.
The staff did not know who was eating what - so it was like being in an Italian restaurant asking who was eating what when the food came out, albeit it the staff were attentive, but the problem with that is that most of us had steak and none of the staff had any idea how they were cooked, and who ordered what- so we had to do some plate swapping once the staff went away – a bit of a mess.
The mains food did came out semi cool and a few of my friends had to send it back to get warmed up – when I dived into mine – it was too cold – but I could not be bothered to send back as I was hungry (and drunk).
The steak was sirloin, but it had quite a bit of sinew in it and was not that good quality. – The pie was great and the rest of the food on my plate was of good quality.
I know these are a few fine points but for me – but to be truly great, these small issues should have been covered.
Would I go again – maybe – but not soon-
Tip to Chef (warm the plates – or get it out quicker).

Reviewed March 25, 2012

We decided to go to the Freemasons Arms last night (24/03/12). We had read good things on their website and wanted to celebrate our 18th wedding anniversary in style. Unfortunately the Freemasons Arms did not deliver what was expected. The lack of choice was one of the main problems. If I remember correctly, there was a choice of 4 starters and 5 main. This paid little resemblance to what was advertised on there web site. My wife had the scallops (of which there were 2) £7.95 each and I had the hake for the same price. My wife was not impressed with the scallops, however my Hake was quite nice.
Through lack of choice, we both had the same main course. This was the sirloin steak with beef and ale pie (£21.95 each).When asked how we wanted the steak cooking my wife replied well done with no blood and I asked for medium. When they came, they where both exactly the same, medium with blood. My wife tried the steak , but was unable to eat it, so left it on the side of the plate. The beef and ale pie was burnt on the bottom which left a taste throughout the pie.
Again through lack of choice we did not fancy any of the deserts.
The Eastern European staff seemed more interested in asking us to fill in cards for good food restaurant of the year (how ironic)
So to sum up, this is not somewhere I would recommend. Grossly over priced and very small portions.

7  Thank cbiddulph1