Spent a pleasant night at the Shireburn. Though, as others, have said it is great location with some wonderful views, the amenities hotel rooms (or the room I stay in - Number 21) are in a number of ways "out of the arc" - it felt more like staying in a hotel in the 1990s and the 2010s. Here is a checklist of what you don't get.
* Though the Trip Advisor link to "hotel amenities lists "free high-speed internet", this was only available if you were near to the bar/reception area. It was not available in the rooms.
* The room did not have a radio/alarm clock, there was no phone/intercom in the room so to obtain any additional needs (e.g. no iron was provided) entailed walking all the way down to reception (in my case going outside) to request things.
* The only tv channels available were only BBC1, and 2 ITV Channel 4 and (I think) Channel 5. so no other freeview channels and no radio channels.
Another annoyance was that breakfast is only served from 7.30 onwards - ridiculous when I and others in the dinning room with me) were clearly business guests who wanted/needed an earlier start.
These are clearly management problems and in my view need to be addressed. Other management problems (don't fire the person who cleaned the room this was not a criticism of her/him) I encountered were the following:
* mold around the bathtub near the taps;
* two glossy magazines provided in the room but with many of the pages torn out;
* holes in the wall where attachments (mirrors probably) had been moved;
* skirting boards needed a new coat of paint etc. .
I should add that the staff I met were delightful, friendly and helpful - all one would expect from Lancastrians and hard-working recent immigrants. Indeed the person who served me at breakfast was able to bring me a "bacon sandwich" prior to the 7.30 start time and coffee was also available. But this because they were clearly trying to help guests and trying to get round the rules imposed "from above".
I would recommend the hotel - but I would urge the owners and managers to address the sorts of problems raised here. Get your hotel into the present century guys"!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Book Direct Rooms so you can book your The Shireburn Arms reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Shireburn Arms Hotel Clitheroe
- Shireburn Arms Clitheroe
- The Shireburn Arms Clitheroe, Lancashire