Waddington Arms
$116
$73
$71
Hotels.com
Swan & Royal(Clitheroe)(Great Value!)
$76
TripAdvisor
The Avenue Hotel at Brockhall(Langho)(Great Value!)
$80
$75
Travelocity
$342
$118
All reviewschurch bellsthe pubspecials boardlovely villagegood sized bathroomsteak and ale piesea bassadds to the charmgreat foodpretty villagetrough of bowlandlog burnerbelly porkstream runningmile round tripold buildingbeer garden
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I first visited this Inn in May 2012 en route between our home in Ashtead, Surrey and my Mum's home in Edinburgh. About halfway between the two and just off the M6 it is the ideal stopover for us. I enjoyed my first visit so much that I decided it was well worth a repeat visit. My wife and I have just returned from a stopover at the Waddington Arms. We were warmly welcomed by Andrew (mein host) who happened to be in the car park when we arrived and were shown directly to our room. Spacious and comfortable with what looked like a brand new Villroy Bosch bathroom suite and beautifully fluffy towels. The dinner arrangement is a major attraction. The menu is extensive and there are daily specials. You can pick anything you want from the menu (no adding supplements for steaks or other expensive options!!). The food is beautifully cooked and presented and the wine list, though not extensive, is more than adequate and incredible value for money. Full English breakfast in the morning, with options to add black pudding and/or hash brownies proved difficult to resist. The only problem with the Waddington Arms for me is that it is so far from my home town!!

Room Tip: The Waddington only has a few rooms available so book as early as you can.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank EricSurrey_UK
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed here as we were heading to a wedding nearby. The whole hotel was booked out by the wedding. The room was decent but it was pricely for what it was £95 for a double, and you can dress it up as much as you like, it's a room above a pub.

The bathroom was spacious and the towels were fluffy. The sheets on the bed were good quality too. In room 4, where we stayed the bed was broken (look underneath).

The main issue was with breakfast. As we had gone to a wedding we had all ad a late night and went down for breakfast at 9.45am. We arrived only to be told that breakfast stops at 9.30am on a Sunday. That's right 9.30am on a Sunday. This is ridiculously early.

Consequently I asked not unreasonably, why this was the case. (no one had informed us of this at any point). I was informed that it had to be the case as the chef then had to start to prepare the Sunday lunches. I'm sorry but if I'm paying £95 for a room above a pub I expect you to work around me and not the other way around. So therefore this is why the score is so low. I informed the lady on checkout of my disappointment and nothing was done.

One to avoid.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank teacherman_9
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We really enjoy the Waddy Arms everytime we have been. The menu is good and a good choice for everyone. The atmosphere is always good and the staff friendly. Sit inside or if the weather is nice sit out.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank MegLancashire
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Had been looking forward to a meal at the Lower Buck at Waddington tonight, as we started to look for somewhere to park it became obvious that the pub was really busy. As we had not booked ( to be recommended on a weekend) we moved onto the Waddington Arms. Upon entering we realized it too was very busy. Luckily a couple sat at one of the tables moved tables for us allowing us a table for four. Our food was excellent. One of our group had the seafood platter amazing. The biggest surprise on it being a small portion of fish and chips.
The atmosphere of the pub was great and the only dog I saw was the one with us who sat under the table all evening.
I have always referred the the Lower Buck as my favourite pub but that now has a rival!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank JEJ_9
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Came here on Easter Monday for some lunch and was so dissapointed.

This pub is so lovely to look at and in a fantastic location, staff very welcoming but... Please tell me why you let so many dogs in????

Was halfway through my lunch when a family came in with dogs and sat right next to us, they smelt, were bouncing around and were barking. It really shocks me how inconsiderate dog owners can be.

I left half my lunch which i was really enjoying and quickly paid, I couldn't wait to leave!

Due to this reason we won't be returning again, it really let's such a lovely place down.

• Stayed: April 2013