“Wonderful setting along the river in the old Abbey ruins.”
Review of Whalley Abbey

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clitheroe
Whalley Abbey
Ranked #6 of 23 Clitheroe B&B and Inns
Michigan
“Wonderful setting along the river in the old Abbey ruins.”
Reviewed January 23, 2012

My wife and I certainly were impressed with both the hospitality of the staff at the Abbey and the ruins themselves. Beautiful setting along the River Calder and a short walk into town. Several good choices for food and drink and we ventured around the coutryside to find a "Tolkien walk" nearby. The area near Stonyhurst College was a place that J.R.R.Tolkien visited and did some writing of his wonderful tales there. His son, John, was in residence there for a time. We walked the grounds and hiked the surrounding area.
The room at the Abbey was large and nicely kept, quite new in design and with an easy access to our car. Breakfast was outstanding in the "English" tradition.

Mike S.
Michigan, USA

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Lincolnshire
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I would like to say what a fantastic stay we had at Whalley Abbey for our friends wedding. I have a wheat allergy and for once I ate exactly the same as everyone else except it was all made wheat free and was absolutely gorgeous (for once I did not feel left out). Throughout our stay the staff could not have been more helpful. It made the stay really relaxing. A big thank you to all involved.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Manchester
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Stayed at Whalley Abbey following a wedding reception at the Abbey at the weekend. It was really practical not having to get a taxi somewhere.

I was pleasantly surprised by the rooms as wasn't sure what to expect. I was in the East wing and saw a few of the rooms friends and family were staying in. My room and the 3 others rooms I saw were clean and well equipped with new bathrooms.

In my twin room the bed was reasonably comfortable, the bathroom great and room was spacious enough. Toiletries and drinks were very generous (first time there's been a mini packet of cotton buds somewhere I've stayed).

Cooked breakfast in the morning was superb. Fresh, hot, delicious and plenty of it!

Service throughout was excellent. Very friendly and professional.

Only downside was £40 per night per person which could have been cheaper!

• Stayed August 2011
4 Thank David T
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2011

My daughter and son in law had their wedding reception at the abbey, from the time the wedding party arrived to booking out the following day the entire experience was beautiful.Nothing was too much trouble for the staff.We had a selection of canapes on arrival which were delicious ,medetterian vegetable soup, roast beef with perfectly cookedl veg and the best mash and roast potatoes ever followed by the most amazing oven baked cheese cake with fruit couli followed by proper pots of tea and coffee which were placed on the table.The food was piping hot with fast efficent service,everything went like a dream all day long .The evening buffet was chicken curry with rice and ploughmans buffet which was all home made food.The drinks package was charged by the bottle ensuring we only paid for what was used-not the usual glass and a top up charged by other venues which can be a rip off.I can not praise this venue enough,it is not a hotel -it is the most amazing historical building with character which has an ambiance that could never be experienced in any hotel.The ruins of the abbey and gardens views from the bedroom windows are breathtaking.Granted the decor in the bedrooms is calming with no fussbut the serenity of the building is priceless. 140 guests loved the whole experience,having the use of the house for the wedding party was unique in itself,it is not a posh pricy hotel its a place of history and beauty with lovely helpfull staff.

Room Tip: the only noie would be other guests
  • Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank marianlowe
Reviewed June 8, 2011

Visited in 2006: loved it. Food was great, local, fresh and delicious ( based on cafe and breakfast.) This time food was very poor, bad quality and not local. Bedrooms in dire need of updating, decor and particulary thd bathrooms. Great location but if you're after good food and bedrooms with character, go elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Foodiehotel
Reviewed June 8, 2011

Whalley Abbey is very beautiful, and in a great location. The grounds are superb and well cared for, from the outside the Abbey looks amazing. Inside is another matter...if you're looking for luxury, this is not it. The rooms were very basic, the showers tiny ( I am 5 foot 2 and struggled to fit in!!). I stay in a lot of hotels/ b and b's and would expect to pay around £55 to £60 a night for accommodation of this standard. I would recommend room only, as the breakfast was poor ( poor quality food/ dry and not fresh/ we were told off for coming down at 9 when room info states it is served until 9.30.) There are a couple of lovely cafes you could go to in Whalley for a nice breakfast, the Deli is delicious. The bedrooms could be so much nicer with modernisation and tasteful decoration. Whist I think the Abbey probably makes much more effort for a wedding, the food I have eaten during functions was poor. Again, not local produce (not even any Lancashire cheese on the cheese board!!!) and also very poor quality food was used. If you want to use Whalley Abbey as a base and don't mind low standard bedrooms, you will be fine here however I would recommend one of the holiday cottages in the area then you can visit the Abbey and it's lovely grounds as part of your stay. Come on managers of Whalley Abbey, this place has amazing potential, invest in it!!! Nice bedrooms and decent food could easily fetch £100 a night in such a great location...

• Stayed April 2011
5 Thank Owladvisor1
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2011

My husband & I had our wonderful wedding reception at the beautiful Whalley Abbey & I can't recommend this place enough!!! Everything from the delicious & plentiful food (tomato & red pepper soup, sausage & mash followed by chocolate torte!), the friendly helpful staff & the whole stunning setting - we couldn't of wished for a better way to spend our day! All of our guests commented on the amazing gardens & the attentive members of staff who went out of their way & catered for our elderly relatives - much to their delight!!!

We had the whole house to ourselves all afternoon right through until the next morning & there was nothing that we would have changed. There are various rooms that cater for all ages & tastes and 2 bars which prevent any queues & despite us inviting maximum numbers it wasn't over crowded & again our guests commented on how nice this was that it was all very chilled out!!! The guest rooms are clean & modern with all the essentials that you could possibly need & the bridal suite was lovely too!!

Before we decided on here we visited various places which always seemed to be super expensive for what we were actually getting! We were really pleased with the great value for money that was offered here and all the various meetings we had with members of staff beforehand were clear, helpful & imformative answering all of our many questions! Our wedding photo's are absolutely gorgeous due to the surroundings and I really believe that as far as wedding venues go - Whalley Abbey is really unique!! I honestly can't recommend Whalley Abbey enough. You have to see the amazing gardens & ruins for yourself to believe how picture perfect it is!

Thanks again to everyone who made our day as special as possible! :)

Room Tip: West 4 & 5 came highly recommended!
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank PinkDollyDimple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clitheroe
Foxfields Country Hotel
The Avenue Hotel at Brockhall
The Shireburn Arms
The Shireburn Arms
#1 of 4 in Clitheroe

Been to Whalley Abbey? Share your experiences!