“shocking service”

Ranked #49 of 148 Restaurants in Clitheroe
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I tried to book a table at Maxwells for Saturday night via the contact box on their web page. But by Saturday afternoon, no one had confirmed my booking. When I rang Maxwells, I was told that my table had not been reserved, and the only seats available to book where on a settee. Obviously we can't eat a meal sat on a settee so I declined. I was then called back by the Manager who said she had been very busy which is why she hadn't called me back, and that she had booked a table for 2 at 6pm, which is what I had originally asked for. Phew!
So following the booking confusion, we finally arrived and were seated fairly quickly. I have been to Maxwells before and knew that the plate pie was very good, so I ordered it again, and my partner ordered the burger and some onion rings. When the food arrived it looked and smelled really good and I couldn't wait to tuck in. The burger was tasty and my pie was lovely, until............I got about a quarter of the way through my meal and found a long hair in the pastry!!
It really turned my stomach and I asked the waiter to take it away. I was offered another meal but I felt sick by then and said no. The waiting staff were very good and we were served a complimentary drink and my meal was taken off the bill, but I left Maxwells still hungry and ended up going for a Chinese takeaway later on in the evening. Both of these incidents were totally avoidable, so I was really disappointed. I won't be returning in the near future, which is a shame because its a nice venue.

1  Thank abattoir

Reviewed November 26, 2013

It was a Sunday night when a great offer is available & can be very busy to get a table but staff were plentiful & happy to help, Varied food choices & quality & quantity!

MaxwellsCafeBar, Manager at Maxwell's, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

I will pass your compliments about the food and the staff. Many thanks for taking time to review us.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Been here lots of times for drinks. Never that good an atmosphere, which is a shame as there's loads of comfy sofas, outside seating and it is in a really good location. I haven't properly eaten here, only a lunch time sandwich, which was nice.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your sandwich. We hope that if you visited us again, particularly in the evening, that you might change your mind about the atmosphere. Thank you for your review

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Not eaten in Maxwells for awhile but have been in for coffee. I went two days running this week with a couple of friends whilst attending a hearing at the local Council offices. We visited on a Tuesday and Wednesday lunchtime about 1.00, we ordered coffees which were brought quickly.and some food which was also delivered quickly even though it was quite busy. I had a falafel wrap, I asked for the cheese and tzaziki dressing to be excluded as I do not eat dairy and I was accommodated for and was given an extra pot of houmous which I love and was appreciated. The other two ladies had two different sandwiches (cant recall what on both days) but we had no complaints, good sized portions, nice fresh salad and very tasty. I do not think I have visited Maxwells without a chap called Phil being there, he has been front of house for a long time and the place would not be the same without him. He always makes a point of saying hello and has a bit of banter, and not just with people he knows but any customers who come in he is an asset to Maxwells. I will be returning soon.

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you enjoy dining with us and Phil was touched by your kind words. Thank you

Reviewed October 25, 2013

We visited yesterday for lunch with our 1 year old daughter. The staff were really accommodating of her and her needs and we felt welcomed. We sat inside (there is outdoor seating at the front and an upper patio which was closed) and although it was busy we got seated. We arrived around 1.30pm - 2pm and wanted eggs on toast but unfortunately they were no longer serving eggs. They did serve other breakfast items so we were able to have a sausage sandwich and vegetarian sausage sandwich. We also had sweet potato chips. All was very yummy. And very reasonably priced. We'd certainly visit again if we were in Clitheroe.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your meal at Maxwells. Thank you for taking time to review us.