“Absolutely loved it”

Ranked #2 of 23 Clitheroe B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Absolutely loved it”
Reviewed December 1, 2009

Having been slightly put off by the reviews, we were somewhat nervous about our stay. The occasion was my birthday and from start to finish I had no complaints. The staff are all eager to help and very friendly. The surroundings are fantastic. The building has been sympathetically restored and decorated. The room we stayed in, the King Suite, had fabulous views and was spacious and comfortable. We ate both nights in the Hotel and was not disappointed with the food at all. The open fires give the place a lovely homely feeling with bags of atmosphere. You can really relax and unwind.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ianandkitty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Lancashire
Reviewed November 25, 2009

I booked the Champagne and Candlelight overnight stay for myself and partner as the start of my 30th birthday celebrations. I upgraded to the Ribble Suite with the 4 poster bed for a little bit of added luxury. From start to finish our stay was perfect. The receptionist was friendly and welcoming and we were shown straight away to our suite. The grounds were magnificent, the bar staff welcoming, the waiters attentive yet privacy assured. A lovely atmosphere awaited us in the restaurant and was not empty as was my fear being a Tuesday evening in October. The food was tremendous and a lovely choice on the set menu. The glass of champagne was the finishing touch. All in all a great value for money break and I would definitely recommend the hotel to friends, as well as returning for a future stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gillian2600
Manchester
Reviewed November 18, 2009

I travelled to this hotel for my birthday, with the ulterior motive of checking the place out for a possible venue for a large family party. When we arrived, the receptionist seemed more interested in other members of staff than us. We waited about 5 minutes to be checked in. First impressions last, and this put a bad feeling about. When we got to out room, it was a dated, tasteless room. Considering the exterior, the rooms look more like the travelodge but 1950's style! We went to dinner which was ok, but the menu was limited. No atmosphere in this hotel at all. Finally we retired to bed through pure boredom. We was rudely awoken by loud barking at about 5am. I initally thought it was residents dogs, but at breakfast it was apparent that it was a neighbouring house/farm dogs. I asked the receptionist about the barking, to be told they had no idea! I said it sounded like multiple dogs, but was brushed off. I settled the bill and left-after enduring ghastly breakfast which seemed like it was all cooked in the deep fat fryer. As I pulled out of the hotel, what should we see? Kennels directly opposite the hotel! I pulled back into the hotel, furious I had been lied to. The only explanation was that there was no way the barking dogs could be heard from over the road. YES THEY CAN! I have no intention of returning to this hotel, and our family event will take place elsewhere. My birthday was ruined, I'll be damned if my familys event will be spoilt at mitton hall too. 3* hotel? No way. Food-rubbish, Staff-rubbish, atmosphere-rubbish. If you're looking for a decent hotel or are having a function or wedding, steer well clear.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Loopyloo26
chorley, lancashire
Reviewed November 11, 2009

My partner and I travelled to this hotel for a friend's wedding. Its a nice hotel, great for weddings. The food was good, but we was herded around like sheep when the rooms was changing from ceremony to reception. No staff could answer any questions. We went to check out our room and was quite upset that it overlooked the main road, but it was only for one night and didn't bother complaining. The wedding took place, and we arrived to our room at about 1am. I was 7 months pregnant and ready for a bed!! I was awoken at about 3am by barking dogs, that just barked and barked. I called to reception, who said the hotel was full and I'd basically have to put up with it. I was quite mad at this stage because the staff was so unhelpful and dismissive. The dogs carried on barking until I thought 'enough is enough' and packed and went down for breakfast. Upon arriving for breakfast, we discovered there was no clean tables and staff simply told us to wait in reception. No chair was offered, even though I was visibly pregnant. I was made to wait for a good half an hour whilst standing. Eventually we got breakfast, which was a greasy full english. I left breakfast and headed to reception. The reception was staffed by an arrogant Chris Evans look alike. I told him my problems and he simply shrugged and said 'not my problem' I asked for the manager and he tapped his badge, which said 'Manager'. He was the most obnoxious person I have ever had the misfortune to meet. Loads of other guests were complaining, even the best man, but he maintained there was nothing that can be done. Nice hotel, rubbish staff and dogs that need shooting. Never ever return to this hotel, and would recommend no-one to this hotel. Sleeping in you car with the radio on is more comfortable and less noisy!!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Idz1985
Lancashire
Reviewed October 25, 2009

The Dinner we had was superb the service and surroundings are nice although the open fire in the baronial hall left me smelling like a kipper that had been in the smoke house all night. The bedrooms in the new section are boutique style, clean and adequate but no phone or tea making facilities. Unfortunately when we stayed the disco was on in the party room below [ rooms 105- 110] and I felt like I was in bed with a loud speaker. This went on until 1.00 am. The following morning I complained to the manager who said they where aware of the problem and gave us a discount and sympathy [ well done her].
Other people had complained from the other side of the hotel over the kitchens that their room smelled of food and the noise woke them up, but it up to them to post their views on here.
If you want to stay here check about functions and if you are sleeping near them.. take ear plugs and your mobile phone. If you are eating here based on what we had, I think you will enjoy it. The bar area and baronial hall can't fail to impress. I will return but cautiously.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank melodeanman
Blackburn
Reviewed September 8, 2009

A beautiful hotel with stunning gardens and scenic views to the rear. The contrast of the old and new in the interior is also fabulous. The wedding we attended was superb and the staff could not have been more attentive. A wonderful day was had by all. However, we had decided to stay over and wish we had opted to travel the 3 miles home. We were awoken at sunrise (4:30am) by 2 barking dogs in the grounds of a local farm, who continued to bark until we eventully gave in to trying to get some sleep and went down for breakfast. The breakfast was by the way lovely as have been all the other meals we have eaten there.
The receptionist was not particularly apologetic when I complained about the noise of the dogs and advised that it was "Just something guests had to put up with".
Lovely food, furnishings and surroundings but don't bother to stay overnight.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rycrofter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clitheroe
Northcote Hotel
Best Western Ribble Valley Langho Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf
Stanley House Hotel & Spa
The Avenue Hotel at Brockhall
Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel

Been to Mitton Hall? Share your experiences!