“Very disappointing”

Piccolino - Clitheroe
Ranked #50 of 136 Restaurants in Clitheroe
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Barnoldswick, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

We had been wanting to go here for months so finally got found to booking a table on a Saturday night. We were greeted by a lovely lady who took our coats and showed us to our table. Unfortunately this was right next to the kitchen serving hatch so we constantly had waiters whizzing past our table, it was either that or had them stood right next to our table chatting. Because of this we couldn't really relax properly. We ordered two mains, I had the spicy sausage pasta and my partner had the steak. Both were fine but not anything spectacular which I was expecting. The service was good but a bit too much. The minute my partner had emptied his side portion of chips on to his plate, the waitress had come and taken the little bucket away, then I had literally just eaten my last piece of pasta when the waiter came and cleared our plates. Whether they wanted us out ready for the next booking I'm not sure. Looks a beautiful place from the outside but for me it was far too expensive considering the standard of food.

Visited February 2014

Hurst Green, United Kingdom
“A little more expensive than most Italians, but worth it.”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I don't know why I have waited so long to go to Piccolinos, I have known about it since it opened. I had heard it was good, if a little expensive. Well it is good, and only a little more expensive than the many standard Italians, and worth the difference. The biggest pluses are the style of the interior and the welcome of the front of house staff. The menu was extensive and interesting and the food excellent.

• Visited January 2014
UK
“Excellent Venue”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

The first time in Clitheroe and absolutely loved it. Our friends booked a table a Piccolinos and what a brilliant choice. It is one of the nicest restaurants we've visited. So well presented and the staff were excellent too. Reasonably priced and a great selection on the menu, the food was amazing. We would most definately visit again.

Clitheroe, United Kingdom
“Great New Years Experience”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

went as a table of four for the new year and had a great time. Arrived a little early and we were asked if we would like to order drinks at the bar first after getting drinks which were excellent we were shown to our table upstairs which was perfect for us. the waiter was over to take the order and was very friendly.The starters arrived which where enjoyed by all the king prawns I had where delicious. once the dishes were cleared we ordered more drinks which came quickly shortly followed by our main courses which again were enjoyed by all and cooked to perfection the sides were also all correct and very tasty. once the mains were finished we treated ourselves to some more drinks from the bar and also ordered deserts which we managed to just about squeeze in. All in all it was a great evening with a wonderful atmosphere, great company and very tasty food also good service even though the restaurant was very busy.

Clitheroe, United Kingdom
“New Year's Eve gathering”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We have been to many Piccolino's across England and the one in Clitheroe 3 times now. Every other Piccolino's except Clitheroe has been a great experience, however, the clitheroe Piccolino's has failed to satisfy each and every time I'm afraid.

We were a party of 9 and thought we would try this place again as it was New Year's Eve and wanted to enjoy together with friends.

The place is a nice place, good atmosphere, staff generally friendly, however the food for the price and especially the service was unfortunately well below the standard you would expect.

The starters arrived and drinks were flowing, everything was enjoyable. However, out of the 9 main courses 4 were incorrect! This was quickly pointed out to the waiter though he had already started bringing out another tables meals and seemed disinterested. Several times we had pointed out that 2 mains were still awaiting chips.... These never arrived!! Wrong side orders and an overcooked fillet steak were the other faults. The latter 2 faults could have been acceptable though unfortunately 2 people were left waiting for chips and the way this was dealt with was totally unacceptable. My rare steak arriving, being delivered as rare, but blatantly cooked medium was still very tasty, but as I pointed this out one of the waiters proceeded to argue with me that it was rare but later he said I didn't order rare, he got another waiter to come out with his pad and patronisingly suggested rare was not what I ordered! They also explained that they were busy!!

Anyway, generally the food was tasty, we could not fault that, but the whole experience was somewhat disappointing as a result of their errors and bad attitude. They did remove the 2 mains from the bill which was the least they could do but we had to remind them that we were also not paying the 10% service charge either!

Overall, if you want to take a risk and see whether you get a nice meal and service and pay for over priced food, go for it. Or maybe take a look at other Italians like the villa in clitheroe or go San Carlos in Manchester which by the way is twice the size of this Piccolino's and always very busy but always meets our expectations!!

Ps I've never complained about meals out and generally find that a little embarrassing, so for me to complain and write this speaks volumes!