“Ok but pricey”
Review of Ley Inn

Ley Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Ley Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 6, 2013

After being regular customers at the old Ley Inn we were looking forward to trying the place after the big refurb and change of hands. The old place certainly needed a facelift, which the new owners have provided, but unfortunately I left feeling a little underwhelmed.
Although the interior looks much better, there were a few hitches, with quite a few of the main courses and beers being unavailable. The service was friendly but a bit slow. We had to wait the best part of an hour to get our main course....and the place certainly wasn't busy. To be honest though, all this could be put down to the fact it was the end of a busy opening weekend, but one issue that can't is the pricing.
With fish and chips costing over £12 and a pint of lager £4:20 it certainly ain't cheap. The food was nice enough but certainly not worthy of the price tag.
To put it bluntly - if you want to pay £12 for your main there are better places you could go. It'll be interesting to see how long the new owners stick with the current pricing structure. Personally I would say "nice pub but need to rethink the prices".

2  Thank duckins80

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Lovely meal on 5th May, busy but did not have a long wait for food. The staff were very welcoming and helpful even though it is obvious they are still getting used to the new pub and the menu so a few teething problems which did not get in the way of a really enjoyable meal. The food is much improved. Large portions on the grazing board with the food being freshly cooked, yes it's more expensive than the previous menu, we would rather pay more and have a better quality dining experience. The pub looks great what a transformation which was long overdue, we will definitely be going again.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Just visited the refurbished Ley Inn. Unfortunately on entering though the restaurant entrance there was no one to greet you the who room had been incorporated into the pub. The room has been stripped to bare painted walls and scant new wooden kitchen tables. The room has little ambiance and feels like a add on to main bar area. The refurbished bar is clean but does not seem to have enough tables to accommodate eating and again lacks the the feeling of being a place for regulars and watering hole. After speaking with the bar staff i was told to find a table and order at the bar. My partner and I waited over 1 hour for our food order to arrive, and I have to say the menu although updated lacked many of our favourites and had increased in price. I ordered the goats cheese tart with salad and new potatoes. The tart was look warm, the salad consisted of mixed lettuce leaves and one cherry tomato cut in half. Although the tart was tasty I feel the price of 12.50 was a bit excessive for what was on the plate. My partner had the roast beef dinner which the vegetables where discoloured by being over cooked and he said the beef was good. Over all I feel that the Ley Inn is going to have to up its game if it is going to keep and attract new customers. Personally I am not sure if I would hurry back, at this time, I have mixed feelings on the place, service and value for money. I hope that the management can get their act together and make improvements as it is early days. The Ley Inn holds happy memories and we have always enjoyed the menu and food, fingers crossed it can only get better.

1  Thank twohoots23
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Now that I have your attention I need to say that the title is down to the fact that, following a change of ownership, it is like watching an episode of Kitchen Nightmares. My wife and I have been regulars at the Ley for over ten years (even had our wedding breakfast there) and have watched it deteriorate. There was an improvement following the smoking ban but that fizzled out. The pub/restaurant suffered from a lack of investment and, at the end, looked like a lot of the restaurants on Kitchen Nightmares. The decor was grubby. The furnishings were grubby. Menus were old and grubby, too many dishes on it and food usually nothing to rave about.

I returned tonight after a change of ownership and it was just like Gordon Ramsey had been in with his team. The decor has changed; the furniture has changed; the whole place looks a lot more spacious, light and inviting. The menu had been trimmed down (possibly too far but it is early days).

To their credit, the new owners have retained the old staff but they are new staff! They all seem to be newly motivated and far more professional in standard Ley uniforms. In fact I was really surprized that the same chefs that served up such mediocre food previously, served up such good food tonight. The red cabbage was superb - not your out of the jar but freshly prepared with the chefs own marinade (again makes me think of Kitchen Nightmares where the chefs have been wanting to do things but have been baulked by the owners).

There were a few teething problems but these were dealt with courteously and with a seemingly genuine eagerness to learn what needed to be changed (tables for two are too small as the plates are large - I ended up sending my plate into my lap as there was no table beneath my knife when I tried to cut my steak). Prices have gone up but so has the quality. It will be interesting to see if they have started as they mean to go on - I hope so.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

This pub has just recently been taken over by new owners and how different it has become!! The past friendly atmosphere has disappeared.The menu is completely beyond the financial means of most people! I visited the toilet which was overflowing with dirty tissues! The smoking area has been demolished which attributes to all the cigarette butts that are laying around the entrance. As a resident that has lived here for the last nineteen years I will think twice about visiting again.

1  Thank Anne T