“Super organised and caring staff made for a wow wedding!”
Review of Sparth House Hotel

Sparth House Hotel
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We booked our wedding at Sparth house on the 23rd March 2013 and experienced a fantastic day! The venue was both pretty and relatively intimate for a fun filled family wedding. Perhaps the strength of this venue is the management from Lesley Anne who catered to our every need from start to finish. Nothing was too much trouble! Thank you Sparth House!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Sparthhouse H, General Manager at Sparth House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thank you Angela for your lovely review & I am glad to hear you had a fantastic day and it was a pleasure to be able to share it with you all, I will pass your praise onto the staff.

There are newer reviews for Sparth House Hotel

Reviewed March 23, 2013

went for lunch to sample the new lunch time menu with quite high expectations. We ordered a soft drink upon arrival..diet coke for my friends & soda water for myself, all arrived flat. We told the bar lady she apologised and said they were having trouble with the gas, fair enough it happens so we waited & waited for quite a while when they said they couldn't resolve the issue so would we like a bottle?? well yes please actually. we ordered our food I ordered Gammon accompanied by chips & peas. The gammon was so tough I could have soled my shoes with it and had to ask for a steak knife, the chips were lousy & how you can ruin peas I don't know. If I had served this up to my family they would have thought I had sneaked out for a few cheeky ones in the afternoon...simply abysmal

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Taylorgc
Sparthhouse H, General Manager at Sparth House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit to us. Unfortunately upon your visit there was a problem with our gas system for our soft drinks we had phoned for an engineer to visit but they had not shown up by the time of your arrival.
It also saddens me to hear that you did not enjoy your food had you of mentioned this when a member of staff would of checked back with your party we could of rectified the situation and hopefully you would of left happy. But unfortunately on this occasion you were not willing to do so.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Although we never go on these sites we had to write this review to say what an amazing night we had on Friday night at Sparth House.
Although we live a short car journey away we decided to book a room as we liked the idea of only having to walk upstairs at the end of the night. First impressions were good a lovely friendly hotel and the staff could not do enough for you.
We stayed in room 27 which was a lovely room very modern but still in keeping with the hotel, we slept very well and would definately ask for that room when we stay again.
The Party Night was fantastic, we were with our work collegues who all commented what a good night they had, the food, entertainment and staff were great they never stopped running round all night.
All in all this is a lovely hotel and the staff are an absolute credit to the place and we will definately be back soon.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 27 when booking
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Sparthhouse H, General Manager at Sparth House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Many thanks for your lovely review, we are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon :)

Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

This was the venue for our Christmas office party.
Some of us stayed the night. The first impression was poor. The carpet in the main bar was dirty with stains. The drinks on offer were largely keg lagers and beers. The staff were sullen and unhelpful

The food was awful. Not one course was worthy of a compliment. Mass catering at its worst.
Rooms were down at heel, light bulbs missing etc. it seemed no one cared any more.
We won't be returning

• Stayed: December 2012
Sparthhouse H, General Manager at Sparth House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Many thanks for your review, At Sparth House Hotel we welcome all feedback whether it be negative or positive and I can asure you that all your comments have been taken on board.
It saddens me to hear that you did not enjoy your office party with us and that you will not be returning it also saddens me that although during your dinner & also upon check out you would of been asked if everything was satisfactory with your visit you never voiced any concerns giving us chance so that we could of rectified the situation.
At Sparth House hotel we have 3 bars in which are all stocked with the usual choices of Keg & bottled beers, we have a more than ample wine list as well as a large variety of sprits & mixers. I was saddened to hear that you were not happy with the staff also that evening which does come shock as the staff are constantly encouraged to interact with customers and I am always hearing praise from customers about our team.
Unfortunately the carpet within the bar area can not always be kept as clean as we would like with it being the main pedestrial area of the hotel but we do our best and are constanly shampooing the carpet to keep it clean.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

This is the second time that I have stayed here as a solo guest. I booked a room in the main part of the hotel and was pleased to discover that I had been put in to the very large room at the front of the hotel, (shown in the 'professional photos' part of this site). This was a bonus as I had two under 10 year old family members visiting on one day and they had plenty of space to play in. The bathroom again was very large, an unusual feature being a mirror almost the length of one wall by the bath!
The dinings room(s) have been refurbished since my last stay and are very nice indeed. Decorated in a contemorary style but still cosy. I treated myself to a cooked breakfast each day and it was cracking. You will not need to have a lunch after having breakfast here. Well cooked food, and a lot of it. The breakfast staff were also very pleasant and helpful. On two evenings I had an evening meal, I choose to dine in the bar area purely as the restaurant was quiet. I was still offered a choice of a la carte or set menu and a small list of specials. On both nights the food again was very nice and the portions ample. The bar area itself is decorated in a faux library style giving it a more intimate feel, with a mixture of comfy sofas and more formal chairs and tables so that you can dine easily.
All in all a nice little hotel, the staff are friendly and always have a genuine smile on thier faces, the prices are fair and the food tasty. It's no Savoy, there again its no faceless/characterless Premiere lodge etc etc either. What I can say is the next time I'm up North, I'll be booking in here for sure.

Room Tip: The smaller rooms are above the function suite so can be noisy. The rooms in the main building on t...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Sparthhouse H, General Manager at Sparth House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Thank you for your lovely review and glad to hear that you will be returning to see us in the near future.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

visited the Sparth House Hotel on numerous occasions with friends. The food served here is excellent restaurant quality, NOT pub grub, at very reasonable prices. Very friendly and attentive staff, with a relaxed atmosphere. After your meal you can go to the bar area and relax on very comfy sofas and nobody bothers you or makes you feel rushed. Nothing is too much trouble.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Sparthhouse H, General Manager at Sparth House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

May thanks for taking the time to write your review, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to us and that you keep coming back, we promise to keep going just the way you like us and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We were booked in here by the Mercure when they overbooked their rooms and moved us to this hotel. Upon arrival, there were no car parking spaces, but thankfully someone moved shortly after we arrived and we took that space. The receptionist booked a taxi for us as we were only dropping off our baggage at first.

There was a function going on in the room below our room and lots of kids running around and leaving cake on the floor, so it wasn't a great first impression. The room was ok, fairly small as the photos will show. A bottle of white wine was left for us in an ice bucket, although we aren't sure if that was from this hotel or the Mercure as an apology. The decor was nice, but perhaps needed a bit more upkeep or hadn't been refurbished in quite a while.

The main downside to the room was the noise. It was louder in our room when we arrived than the function room that was hosting the event. Thankfully we were heading back out to the wedding reception we were attending, however if we had arrived home fairly early it would have been completely unsuitable. Their website warns about this, but of course we weren't expecting to stay at this hotel so it wasn't expected.

When we returned at around 1:15am, there were still people downstairs in the function room talking and it was particularly loud in our room. We waited a little while before asking reception if we could be moved, the member of staff we spoke to was very apologetic and friendly but unfortunately they were fully booked and she explained that a business man who had also booked to stay at the Mercure had found this to be an issue and had to find another hotel. She went into the function room as we returned to our room and presumably asked them to move to the bar area away from our room so thankfully it was quiet after then, but if you intend to stay in one of the standard rooms instead of the suites and want to get an early night, bear in mind this will be an issue.

The bed was very firm, too firm for me, but the pillows were big and soft. The TV was very small. The room was very warm so we used the fan in the wardrobe during the night. The bathroom door did not close and the lock on the room door didn't look fully closed but the door didn't open so it must have been. Overall, the room was ok but we probably wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AdvoKitty
Sparthhouse H, General Manager at Sparth House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

Thank you for your review and I am sorry to hear you will not be returning to our establishment within the future. Unfortunately with your room being booked at very short notice and us having a function on ourselves there were no Executive rooms available other wise we would of gladly upgraded you to another room, but sadly on this occasion we were unable to do this.
Here at Sparth House Hotel we are always striving to improve the customers experience so thank you once again for taking the time to write your review and we do value any comments passed onto us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton le Moors
Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel
Stirk House Hotel
Stirk House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Gisburn

Been to Sparth House Hotel? Share your experiences!