“30th Wedding Anniversary Dinner”

Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Dundee, United Kingdom
“30th Wedding Anniversary Dinner”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Stayed at this hotel on Saturday26th April for the above mentioned function. The view on arrival was stunning and booking in was fast and pleasant. Room was ok but looking a little tired.
Bar Service was excellent and the service during and after the meal was top notch. The Meal was quite superb and enjoyed the whole evening.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Your comments are appreciated. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel if you are returning to the area
Ivan Lynch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Polish first
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Stayed 4 nights for business. Food was expensive £38 for room service steak chips and an ice cream with £5 tray charge. Room spacious bath and deprecate shower. Sky sports in room. Spa is excellent numerous saunas and steam room I would recommend using the big sauna. Staff were really friendly even though the cleaning staff broke my iphone charger the hotel replaced. Free wifi available as well. I don't really have any faults with the hotel think it is good but not very good. Would return privately with the family.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback. I would like to point out however that the prices stated are inaccurate. Our most expensive steak, is priced at £22.95, which includes your choice of sauce and chunky chips. A selcetion of ice creams or sorbets is priced at £3.95. I do not think these prices are overly excessive. A room charge is standard practice across the industry. If you believe you have been over-charged, please contact me directly and I will look in to it.

I am pleased that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay.

Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at Dunkenhalgh for work and stay was very relaxing, hotel is massive but clean and comfortable but best aspect were the staff who were top notch only gripe was menu was uninspiring but food was fine.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Paul D
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear Guest
Many thanks for providing feedback. I will make sure that we share your comments with the team. The new menu has just been put in to the restaurant. Hopefully once the team get comfortable with it, we can expand and offer some more imaginative specials, to offer a little more choice
Bakewell, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

A super old building that has had "additions" over the years (mainly 70s and 80s I think). Bedroom a very long way from reception, and very cold. Ok otherwise, and clean and tidy. Staff very friendly and a dinner for 80+ was very good. Breakfast was excellent. It needs tidying up in places but the overall welcome is very good.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank HenryStanley
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. Your comments are appreciated. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Just back from our third stay. We were up for a family party. As ever we cannot fault the wonderful welcome and service we received. lovely quickly served dinner despite the hotel being busy. The rooms were great value and I love the health spa. The breakfast was good, hot varied and plentiful and served with a smile. The function was wonderful and everything went smoothly. Would recommend

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mjdon
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. Your comments are appreciated and I shall share them with the team. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

A FOUR star hotel with apparently no tea or coffee making facilities. What's that about? I've stayed in hotels all over the world and never had that. Although we did find them, not on the dresser, but in a wardrobe......as we left in the morning. Why hide them? Is it co-incidence they are hidden but room service can be ordered (at extra cost) for a cup of tea?

The hotel looks nice but to be woken up by housekeepers knocking on, and slamming, every door and shouting "HOUSEKEEPING" when you're trying to sleep is NOT appreciated. It's only my wife restraining me that stopped me opening the door and exchanging opinions that prevented a riot! Not everyone wants to be up early on their day off!!

If you want breakfast delivered to your room (so you don't shout at staff for waking you up early!), it's nearly £44 a couple! For that, I'd expect Jamie Oliver cooking it fresh in my room! How can that ever be justified??

Not a great selection of breakfasts for vegetarians.

A king sized bed is great, except that it appeared to be two pushed together, with a gap I fell down when I rolled over to snuggle the wife. We either slept two feet apart or shared one matress. What's that about?

And before the usual PR spinning, it's just a Hypnos bed......exactly the same as used in Premier Travel Inns all over the UK. I should know, I used to deliver and install them for Travel Inns!

If you want bragging rights that you've stayed in a 4* hotel and Spa, feel free to do so. If you want to sleep in the same sort of bed, cheaper and not get woken up by inconsiderate staff......use a Travel Inn!

Over-rated, over-priced, uncomfortable and inconsiderate staff. Need I go on??

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dangerousdavecox
Dear Guest
Thank you for sharing your opinions. I will take your feedback constructively and make changes where they are required

Travelers are raving about these Clayton le Moors hotels

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I stayed here Easter weekend 2014 with my husband and 4 month baby daughter. We were part of 90th birthday celebrations for a family member.
The hotel was good in lots of ways, including
* Friendly and helpful staff . A waitress called Alice who was present at all of the meals and drinks was particularly friendly.
* Spa facilities were good.
* Breakfast had a good variety of different dishes.
* dinner on Saturday evening was good.
* meal as part of 90th celebrations was of a good standard.

However,
there are a few things the hotel need to do to improve:
* The room we were allocated in the courtyard area (room 47) was very small, particularly as we also had a cot in there.
* Corridor smelt of smoke even though it was non-smoking rooms.
* Bathroom very small, particularly for two adults and a baby.
* paintwork on wood in bathroom chipping off.
* Water not very hot, had to run only hot tap and it was still just luke warm.
* Curtains frayed and part falling off the bottom.

* We were woken up at 3am by a drunken guest (night of Easter Sunday) trying to get into their room, after half an hour of drunken banging and shouting we called reception to ask them to sort out. Credit to the hotel the young night porter came up very quickly and sorted out the problem immediately.

We did enjoy our stay at Dunkenhalgh but just feel we paid a lot for a small room which needed a lot of work doing to it.

Thank you to the friendly staff at the weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for a spacious room in the main hotel. The court yard rooms seem to be very small.