“Weekend Spa Break”

Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We just came back from our weekend break at Mercure, we had a great time, spa is nice, swimming pool is warm, bedrooms are good size with amazing views, hotel is a real relaxing destination. Staff here are amazing, Bartender was very attentive and always offered table service, he was very knowledgeable. Breakfast was amazing too, Breakfast supervisor from Tunisia was always busy but that never stopped him from talking to us and make us feel welcomed.The hotel itself is almost one thousand years old and caries lots of history: portrait room, oak room etc. Receptionists all very friendly too, offered to recommend us an outside restaurant and informed us about thinks to see around.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. I was delighted to hear that you were well looked after during your time with us. I will share your comments with the team. I hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I was lucky enough to attend a fundraising event on Sunday at The Dunkenhalgh. The event was a Ladies Lunch and about 270 ladies there. The three course meal was superb!!! well done everyone in the kitchen-believe they have a new chef. To cater for so many and get it right is something which doesn't often happen. The young staff serving were also brilliant. The only niggle not enough staff or systems at the bar for so many people-sorry to nit pick. I organise Ladies Lunch for another charity and would consider coming here next time.
Ii must mention Jason and his Mum and family-they have set up Inbetweenears and they are just INSPIRATIONAL and I would like to wish them all the best.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback in relation to your recent experience of Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa. I was delighted to hear that the event was successful and that you enjoyed your day with us.

I accept that the bar was very busy on arrival and a the waiting time was longer than we would ideally have liked. It is difficult to mange the number of people all hitting the bar at the same time. We will look to improve this in the future. I was pleased to hear that the service of the team was good and that you thoroughly enjoyed the meal.

If you would like to know any more details in regards to hosting an event at the hotel, please contact Karen Gettins in our sales office, who will be pleased to assist.

KInd regards

Reviewed March 24, 2014

My friend and I booked a 'Time for Me' spa day package for Sunday 23 March and wow what a perfect day. Cost £50 which included full use of the spa and fitness facilities, robe and slippers, one treatment and lunch. We arrived just after 10am and didn't leave until 4.30pm so a great value relaxing treat of a day for two busy mums.

On arrival we were shown around by Anne who made a real effort to make sure we got from the day what we wanted and we received a very personal and attentive service. A table was ready for us for lunch, complete with lemon water and cushions on our seat - little touch but really nice.

We used all the facilities in the order suggested by Anne, gym, pool, thermal suite (laconium sauna, bio sauna, normal sauna, steam room and finally the aromatherapy steam room) making use of the cool showers and ice rub inbetween each. We followed this with a shower, yes there was short wait for a shower as two were out of order but it was lovely and warm and everyone was so friendly i soon got chatting and it didn't spoil my day at all - I was in no rush. After a nice shower I dried my hair and put on my robe and slippers to go for lunch - so amaxing to sit eat in my robe and slippers - we chose the Bento boxes which i loved but might not be to everyones taste and a pot of tea. We had two hours then until our booked treatments - this is were the tranquility room comes in.....a lovely calming dimly lit room full of candles, comfy reclining chairs with cushions and blankets to relax in and listen to the soothing music. There were magazines, fresh fruit and water available all free of charge. There were a few people in when we arrived and they were chatting quietly to each other so I settled down to read my kindle, one by one the others left for treatments and me and my friend were alone. Next thing I remember is being woken up over an hour later by my friend to tell me it was nearly time for my massage. I couldn't believe it - I never would have believed I could have fallen asleep in a strange room in the middle of the afternoon with people in and out. The whole experience obviously worked on me. I went wanting peace and quiet and some relaxation and tried hard to make sure I unwound and got a lot from it.

Suzanne gave me a back, neck and shoulder massage and was so friendly, professional and knowledgable. Yes she spoke to me through the treatment but I had just had a good kip so needed to come to or I wouldn't have been able to drive home lol. The massage worked out all the kinks and knots in my back and really loosened me up. Suzanne spoke about what areas she was working and how the massage helped to release toxins and gave excellent after care advice to ensure I got the best from the treatment.

I noticed a few bad reviews on here before we went so felt compelled to put my own on so others don't give the place a miss. Some people will always find fault and like to look for things to moan about. Me and my friend went wanting to make the most of the place and were open and asertive and asked for advice on what order to do things and how to get the best from our day. The staff were only too happy to advise us and really wanted to help us have a fantastic day.

Overall I thought it was good value for money, the spa and particularly the thermal suite facilities are excellent and the staff lovely and helpful. Would definatley go back.

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. Your comments are appreciated. I will share them with the team and we will aim to ensure all our guests are looked after in a similar fashion. Thank you for your comments. I hope that you will come back again in the future

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Stayed at this hotel as part of a Hen Do. We did the murder mystery tour that was set in the portraite room, a fantastic location if you're thinking of doing this. We had an amazing 3 course dinner and a equally as good breakfast the day after. The service was really good from the waiters and bar staff. As we went as a hen party, the bride went to the hotel the day before our arrival to drop off our 'hen party goodie bags' as a surprise in our rooms for when we check in. These were a lovely touch but unfortunaly 2 went missing. We was compensated 3 bottles of house rose wine with our meal. The one down fall of the hotel was the price of the drinks in the bar. You really should be warned to take out a loan before going there. £26 for a bottle of house white, is there really any need? The rooms were lovely and clean. A good choice for a romantic weekend away.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
h6617_dm, Front Office Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. I was pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and the staff were professional throughout. Our wines start from £22 a bottle on the main list, but we also have wines that are slightly less that we offer at the bar. I will follow up your comments with the rest of the team
Kind regards

Reviewed March 17, 2014

I stayed on business , arriving on a Sunday night , and was most impressed by the young man front of house . His welcome was really friendly and engaging , rather than the bland reception offering in most hotels . It made a massive difference to how I felt about the hotel from the very start . My room was fabulous and also nice and warm - I met a colleague in the bar , and again - more experience of the friendly and engaging conversational style from the bar and restaurant team. Check out in the morning - I was again chatty and friendly , plus the offer to help with bags etc - what a great way to start the day . Next time , when I stay , I want to experience the facilities , and hope to report a ' excellent '

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Dear Guest
I was delighted to hear that your experience was a wholly positive one. I shall share your comments with the team and ensure that we use it to further enhance the guest experience moving forward
Kind regards

Reviewed March 17, 2014

Myself, mum and sister went for a spa afternoon as a gift for my mums birthday and what was meant to be a relaxing spa experience was very disappointing.
when we are arrived a boot camp party were using the facilities and were covered in mud which was all over the changing room floor, soap dispensers etc.
The atmosphere of the spa itself wasnt relaxing no background music, the showers dribbled and clearly needed attention, there was a water sink with a tap which dribbled no cups were provided and we had to put our heads under the tap head which was very unhygienic indeed! Disgusting! Every spa I have been to in lancashire area has always provided a water dispenser with cups it seemed to me like a money making ploy to make you buy bottled water from them before entering!
we then went to a relaxation room to wait with my mum whilst she was called for her facial treatment and sat down and was met with constant dripping from the ceiling on my leg which we told the reception about who then got a bowl to catch the dripping water and she just said sorry its been like that for ages...well sort it then we all thought how hard can it be! My mum finally went for her treatment but again a disappointment her husband paid for her facial for her birthday which was a pricey £35 for half an hour which she did not find relaxing as the woman did not stop talking the whole time and tried to sell my mum literally every product she had put on her face! Which would have cost my mum well over £200 if she would have bought it all ! it was very unprofessional and the staff clearly need better training!
Who wants to speak all throughout their treatment when they go to relax for half an hour and especially for a facial!
We made a complaint on leaving the spa which vicky dealt with.
she did not document our conversation but was good to offer a refund of our spa payment as a gesture of goodwill, however my mum still paid her treatment in full and was not offered any sort of refund for instead vicky said she would get her manager to email me the next day expressing their apologies etc 3 weeks later I have heard nothing, I have called to express my disappointment that her manager did not even have the decency to follow the complaint up...but still waiting!
I would not recommend this spa facility in the slightest.
I would say go to the inside spa in nelson or to woodland spa where you will get your monies worth!
Melody

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Guest
I have reviewed your comments with our Spa Manager. Corresondance has been sent to the email address provided on the 16th March offering a full apology for any shortfalls experienced.
I trust that you are in receipt of this. If you need to discuss this further, please contact me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Stayed in a courtyard room for two nights a couple of weeks ago. The room was nicely decorated and lovely and warm, however, had problems with the water - we found out it takes a while to get through to these rooms! The only grumble I have with this hotel was that the restaurant was advertised on Taste Card and we booked dinner on the first night advising reservations that we had a Taste Card, the booking was accepted and we had a very enjoyable dinner. Upon receiving the bill we were informed that the hotel no longer accepted the Taste Card but they would deduct the discount as a gesture of good will but we couldn't use it for the second night - hence we ate out. I have today checked the Taste Card website and the restaurant is still showing a 50% discount!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Joanne H
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. I will follow up your comments with our restaurant manager and resolve the issue with Taste Card. I was pleased to hear that the discount was honoured for the meal that you did take with us. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future
Ivan Lycnh

#2 of 3 in Clayton le Moors
Best Western Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf Club
Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club
Stanley House Hotel & Spa

Been to Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!