“Friendly and welcoming”

Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We stayed for a two night break to visit relatives nearby. It was a busy hotel that seemed to have lots of events and conferences, but there are lots of quiet public places. Our room was spotless and well equipped, and most importantly, we slept peacefully all night, on the large comfy bed.Breakfast was wonderful, huge choices, and like other Mercure Hotels, if you wanted, you could have your breakfast brought to you from the well stocked buffet. We didn't use the pool as we were too busy, though we looked in to see that it looked inviting although on the small size.All the staff we came into contact with were friendly and helpful.We would recommend a visit to Gawthorpe Hall (NT) a hidden gem in Padiham,and Oswaldtwistle Mill for great shopping.The Howarth Art Gallery in Accrington (Tiffany glass,largest collection outside New York) is not too far. Come and breathe some fresh Lancashire air and sample the cheese!

Room Tip: second floor,away from main building
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AndreaWisbech
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for providing such positive feedback. I was delighted to hear that you had such a pleasant experience. I will share your comments with the team and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

This hotel could be so much but somehow just misses the mark. The hotel and the setting is lovely and I only used the spa for a quick swim but there were some minor (and I mean minor) slips that you shouldnt get in a hotel like this for example the coffee mugs in the room were dirty. I know - its minor and I'll live but still. I did however, find the staff incredibly helpful and friendly. Would suggest that during the week this is mostly corporate and during the weekend its wedding reception time :)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. I was disappointed to hear that there were a few problems experienced during your stay with us. Please allow me to express my sincere apologies. We do try to accommodate all our guests in the best possible manner. I am sorry to hear that we failed to your meet expectations on this occasion. I will share your comments with the team and to ensure all future guests have a better experience.
I hope that we may better serve you in the future.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed on Saturday for a wedding.
The rooms were fantastic, set in a beautiful courtyard with a fabulous fountain.
The staff couldn't have been more helpful.
Breakfast was excellent.
Many thanks. The setting is simply stunning.
The food at the wedding was simply divine

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gill C

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Showers dont work in spa no cold water to drink seen a couple of spiders dirty nothing works properly verry verry dissapointed its a 1 star not 4 star people in pool fully clothed one of steam room smelt it was awful place needs closing and given a good clean and given a 1 star it deserves

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank kselina
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. I would like to speak to you personally about your experience. If you would like to do so, please call me at the hotel. I am sorry to hear that your opinion of the Spa is so poor. We have a plenty of guests who provide us with excellent feedback in regards to their experiences with us. I am sorry that you were dissatisfied, but I will take your comments on board and share them with the team, making the improvements required

Reviewed August 30, 2013

My friend and I went for Afternoon Tea here last Monday. First it was very quiet and no one else eating(it was 3pm!)Then a coach party arrived but all disappeared to their rooms. Next a wedding party started arriving at 3pm and were still arriving when we left at 5pm.As it was so warm we sat on the lawn at the front of the hotel at a wooden bench set. We had a glass of prosecco to start(with nibbles) then tea and coffee(with biscuits) and finally prawn/lamb sandwiches ,chocolate eclairs, scones and fruit and chocolate cake. There was so much that we had to leave some cake but took the biscuits! More coffee arrived half way through the experience. Everything was very well presented. Loved the strawberries and blackberries as garnish.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. It is a pleasure to hear such positive comments. I hope to welcome you again in the future

Reviewed August 29, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed August 28, 2013

The hotel looks nice but definetly not a 4 star. Having stayed in many 4 stars and budget hotels, I would say that this hotel is overpriced. My two days stay here with extended family in 2 rooms was well below the expectations. Forget Marriot, it won't even compare with premier in for room facilities.

1. No air condition: You had to sleep with the windows open.How can they expect the guests to have a peaceful night with the windows opened towards a garden where they have wedding parties all night? Seriously, what were they thinking?I had to ask my daughter wear ear plugs so that she can sleep with all the party noise.I complained and asked for a room with air condition. The reply I got from the reception staff was that none of their rooms are air conditioned.

2. No wifi in the rooms. Not even an option to buy wifi facilities for additional charge.

3. Mattress was not a double mattress. It was two single mattresses joined up together. I could feel the gap in between. When I asked the staff,if they could change it to a double, they said that all the rooms are this way.Wow!!!!

4. When we checked out, our bill was over charged for nearly £200.good things we checked the it.

Just two good thngs: The housekeeping staff were wonderful and the spa was ok.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. I am disappointed to read your comments. I am sorry that the team did not do more to ensure your comfort during your stay. I will follow up your feedback personally. I am sorry that your stay was not as it should have been. If you would like to speak with me further, please contact me directly at the hotel and I shall listen to your feedback
Ivan Lych

#3 of 3 in Clayton le Moors
Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel
Best Western Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf Club
Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!