“Dirty overpriced”

Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Showers dont work in spa no cold water to drink seen a couple of spiders dirty nothing works properly verry verry dissapointed its a 1 star not 4 star people in pool fully clothed one of steam room smelt it was awful place needs closing and given a good clean and given a 1 star it deserves

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank kselina
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. I would like to speak to you personally about your experience. If you would like to do so, please call me at the hotel. I am sorry to hear that your opinion of the Spa is so poor. We have a plenty of guests who provide us with excellent feedback in regards to their experiences with us. I am sorry that you were dissatisfied, but I will take your comments on board and share them with the team, making the improvements required
Ivan Lynch

Write a ReviewReviews (1,551)

Reviewed August 30, 2013

My friend and I went for Afternoon Tea here last Monday. First it was very quiet and no one else eating(it was 3pm!)Then a coach party arrived but all disappeared to their rooms. Next a wedding party started arriving at 3pm and were still arriving when we left at 5pm.As it was so warm we sat on the lawn at the front of the hotel at a wooden bench set. We had a glass of prosecco to start(with nibbles) then tea and coffee(with biscuits) and finally prawn/lamb sandwiches ,chocolate eclairs, scones and fruit and chocolate cake. There was so much that we had to leave some cake but took the biscuits! More coffee arrived half way through the experience. Everything was very well presented. Loved the strawberries and blackberries as garnish.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. It is a pleasure to hear such positive comments. I hope to welcome you again in the future

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed August 28, 2013

The hotel looks nice but definetly not a 4 star. Having stayed in many 4 stars and budget hotels, I would say that this hotel is overpriced. My two days stay here with extended family in 2 rooms was well below the expectations. Forget Marriot, it won't even compare with premier in for room facilities.

1. No air condition: You had to sleep with the windows open.How can they expect the guests to have a peaceful night with the windows opened towards a garden where they have wedding parties all night? Seriously, what were they thinking?I had to ask my daughter wear ear plugs so that she can sleep with all the party noise.I complained and asked for a room with air condition. The reply I got from the reception staff was that none of their rooms are air conditioned.

2. No wifi in the rooms. Not even an option to buy wifi facilities for additional charge.

3. Mattress was not a double mattress. It was two single mattresses joined up together. I could feel the gap in between. When I asked the staff,if they could change it to a double, they said that all the rooms are this way.Wow!!!!

4. When we checked out, our bill was over charged for nearly £200.good things we checked the it.

Just two good thngs: The housekeeping staff were wonderful and the spa was ok.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel.

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. I am disappointed to read your comments. I am sorry that the team did not do more to ensure your comfort during your stay. I will follow up your feedback personally. I am sorry that your stay was not as it should have been. If you would like to speak with me further, please contact me directly at the hotel and I shall listen to your feedback
Ivan Lych

Reviewed August 28, 2013

A great location, looks great on the website, even looked great arriving, such a shame that so many little things let the hotel down so badly. Only one major issue a lovely cold shower in the morning for my wife and I but added to the raft of little issues left feeling cheated and very disappointed especially since we had an executive room so what where the standard rooms like?

Cold shower! Lovely way to start the day.

Room service - they ran out of an item as part of a dish and didn't let us know to choose an alternative when we pointed out the missing item there was an attitude of 'and what's the problem''

Incorrect directions to breakfast sent us to the wrong room to find a notice sending us to a suite, but no directions on where that suite was not an issue in a small hotel but certainly one in a rambling hotel such as this.

In the shower there was paint peeling from the ceiling in the shower cubicle and the vent next to the paint which I confess I would not normally notice, but the paint made it very noticeable that it had never been cleaned.

The throw pillows (is that the correct word for those annoying little pillows left on beds?) where stained and dirty.

In the bar asked for a large bottle of fizzy water was told non available, after asking if there was any elsewhere was grudgingly provided a large bottle of flat water.

Talked to the duty manager the following morning, ''sorry we will send an engineer to look at the shower but we where busy last night!''.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Guest
I am sorry to hear that your experience did not meet with expectations. It is disappointing to hear that there were problems that were not resolved properly during your stay. I will share your comments with the team and make improvements where required.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Myself and my wife were very lucky to get married here, and the overall experience was fantastic.

The wedding planner was attentive, the master of ceremonies anticipated all my questions, and already had solutions.

The food was amazing, the rooms were great.

All the guests were impressed, and everyone though it should have cost more than it did.

Check it out, its great :)

Room Tip: Bridal suite is not disturbed ;o)
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. I will share your comments with the team. I am delighted that you had such a positive experience. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Kind regards

Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Very pleased overall with my 2 day stay. My room was nice and clean albeit a little dark but quiet with nice view of fields. The maids even neatly placed my Daughters animals on the bed! Thank you :)
The breakfast staff were very helpful and you had a good choice. We stayed for a wedding and it was very nicely done in my opinion. Bar staff very good! The only minor gripe would be the reception staff who although efficient were I felt lacking in intregety and warmth. First impressions count especially after a very long journey. I would stay there again and the spa was good and staff very helpfull. Very good overall.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. I was pleased to hear that your experience was a positive one. I hope to welcome you back in the future
Kind regards

Foxfields Country Hotel
#1 of 1 in Billington
Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club
Stanley House Hotel & Spa

Been to Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!