“Not worth the price”

Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Not worth the price”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The hotel looks nice but definetly not a 4 star. Having stayed in many 4 stars and budget hotels, I would say that this hotel is overpriced. My two days stay here with extended family in 2 rooms was well below the expectations. Forget Marriot, it won't even compare with premier in for room facilities.

1. No air condition: You had to sleep with the windows open.How can they expect the guests to have a peaceful night with the windows opened towards a garden where they have wedding parties all night? Seriously, what were they thinking?I had to ask my daughter wear ear plugs so that she can sleep with all the party noise.I complained and asked for a room with air condition. The reply I got from the reception staff was that none of their rooms are air conditioned.

2. No wifi in the rooms. Not even an option to buy wifi facilities for additional charge.

3. Mattress was not a double mattress. It was two single mattresses joined up together. I could feel the gap in between. When I asked the staff,if they could change it to a double, they said that all the rooms are this way.Wow!!!!

4. When we checked out, our bill was over charged for nearly £200.good things we checked the it.

Just two good thngs: The housekeeping staff were wonderful and the spa was ok.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. I am disappointed to read your comments. I am sorry that the team did not do more to ensure your comfort during your stay. I will follow up your feedback personally. I am sorry that your stay was not as it should have been. If you would like to speak with me further, please contact me directly at the hotel and I shall listen to your feedback
Ivan Lych

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Polish first
MarkC57
Reviewed August 28, 2013

A great location, looks great on the website, even looked great arriving, such a shame that so many little things let the hotel down so badly. Only one major issue a lovely cold shower in the morning for my wife and I but added to the raft of little issues left feeling cheated and very disappointed especially since we had an executive room so what where the standard rooms like?

Cold shower! Lovely way to start the day.

Room service - they ran out of an item as part of a dish and didn't let us know to choose an alternative when we pointed out the missing item there was an attitude of 'and what's the problem''

Incorrect directions to breakfast sent us to the wrong room to find a notice sending us to a suite, but no directions on where that suite was not an issue in a small hotel but certainly one in a rambling hotel such as this.

In the shower there was paint peeling from the ceiling in the shower cubicle and the vent next to the paint which I confess I would not normally notice, but the paint made it very noticeable that it had never been cleaned.

The throw pillows (is that the correct word for those annoying little pillows left on beds?) where stained and dirty.

In the bar asked for a large bottle of fizzy water was told non available, after asking if there was any elsewhere was grudgingly provided a large bottle of flat water.

Talked to the duty manager the following morning, ''sorry we will send an engineer to look at the shower but we where busy last night!''.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Guest
I am sorry to hear that your experience did not meet with expectations. It is disappointing to hear that there were problems that were not resolved properly during your stay. I will share your comments with the team and make improvements where required.

Travelers are raving about these Clayton le Moors hotels

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Myself and my wife were very lucky to get married here, and the overall experience was fantastic.

The wedding planner was attentive, the master of ceremonies anticipated all my questions, and already had solutions.

The food was amazing, the rooms were great.

All the guests were impressed, and everyone though it should have cost more than it did.

Check it out, its great :)

Room Tip: Bridal suite is not disturbed ;o)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. I will share your comments with the team. I am delighted that you had such a positive experience. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Very pleased overall with my 2 day stay. My room was nice and clean albeit a little dark but quiet with nice view of fields. The maids even neatly placed my Daughters animals on the bed! Thank you :)
The breakfast staff were very helpful and you had a good choice. We stayed for a wedding and it was very nicely done in my opinion. Bar staff very good! The only minor gripe would be the reception staff who although efficient were I felt lacking in intregety and warmth. First impressions count especially after a very long journey. I would stay there again and the spa was good and staff very helpfull. Very good overall.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. I was pleased to hear that your experience was a positive one. I hope to welcome you back in the future
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2013

On summer break for trip to the Lakelands after nearly 28 years. We stopped enroute here with our guests. The place is converted manor house, receptionists very pleasant at first gave rooms in different locations in the annexe thereafter changed upon request although because of the age of the property, one wouldn't expect seamless corridors to get to the rooms which are big sized andwell appointed. You can definitely relax in the pool which is small whirlpool however the steam suite is perfect comprising steam and sauna of different varieyt even ice bucket! The grounds are what you expect in a former manor house and for the value package we got including breakfast and dinner it was really good stay
Not a lot to write home about the surrounding Accrington area unless you drive to Ribble valley
Shame its so far from London I am sure there are similar places down South but if you are in the area worth checking out!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience of the hotel. I hope to welcome you back in the future
Accrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Just got back from a special offer Spa Day, very disappointed. The pool was dirty, tissue paper amongst other things floating in the pool, tables and carpet in the leisure centre bar dirty. Staff not very friendly. Overall cleanliness of the leisure centre not very good. Bought the special offer with the intention of buying a membership for the leisure centre, but would not bother now. I have paid the same price at other hotels and had an excellent time/experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank rosaroo18
Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback in regards to your recent Spa Day. I was sorry to hear that your experience did not meet with expectations. I will follow up your feedback with the Spa Management team.
Up North
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I really like the feel of the hotel, the spa & gym (the gym is one of the best hotel gyms I have seen), the food, the function facilities etc but I do have some issues with the room which is what is making me unable to make my mind up about the whole place! We had a privilege room and the room itself was clean, spacious (massive bathroom!), had all the things you need etc but it didn't have some of the most important things, i.e. the shower pressure was poor, there was no net curtain/blind and with low light it meant having to keep the curtains open thereby chancing someone could see you getting changed (could just be my paranoia!), there were only two well-placed plug sockets (none near the bed) and also no aircon. I think I remember reading in the history document they give you (don't quote me on this) that the wing we were in was completed in perhaps 2005 or 2007 so I would have thought aircon would have been put in. The bed was really, really comfortable and I had a great night's sleep followed by a fabulous breakfast so whilst I love the hotel as a whole I do think there are things that they could do to improve the rooms and take it from an average to a fabulous hotel.

Room Tip: You can have quite a walk to some of the rooms so if this is of concern then make sure you ask for a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. Your comments are appreciated and I will share them with our team. On the subject of the air conditioning, the rooms were added in 2005 by the former owners of the hotel. I cannot comment on why they did not add air conditioning, but I would say it would have been beneficial to do so. The hotel has, under the current ownership, spent considerably on air conditioning to other areas of the building and we are hopeful that further improvements can be made. Thank you for your comments

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton le Moors
BEST WESTERN Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club
Foxfields Country Hotel
Foxfields Country Hotel
#1 of 1 in Billington

Been to Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!