“Would recommend!!”

Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We has rather low expectations after reading other reviews but had a fabulous stay. We booked a spa package with dinner bed and breakfast for £75 but upgraded to the executive rooms for extra £10. We had rooms 603/ 609 which were lovely, spacious, clean with a lovely big bathroom. The pool was reasonably sized and a nice temperature and there were around 5 individual steam rooms/ saunas. The food in the evening was delicious and the self-serv buffet breakfast had lots of choice. We did notice quite a few tables had to go off in search of tea/coffee and toast rather than the staff offering it around the tables but we received ours as soon as we sat down. The only downside we found was getting from our rooms to the restaurant...we either had to walk through private functions or walk around the outside in the rain. Would definitely go again!!!

Room Tip: From reading other reviews, may be worth upgrading to the executive suites.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback in regards to your recent stay. I was pleased to hear that you had a pleasant experience. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Ivan Lynch

Write a ReviewReviews (1,568)

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed here with friends as we got a good deal on a spa type stay. It was £96 each for access to the Spa facilities, a back massage, an executive room with breakfast, a complementary bottle of wine and a three course meal.
For that price, we can't really complain. The hotel itself is lovely and although the walk to the room was a bit of a treck, it took you through some gardens and the corridors were nicely decorated. We had received a complementary upgrade to the executive room which was great, maintenance was a bit of an issue, the top of the tap had come off in my hand and bits of paint were peeling, other than that, the room was nice.
The service in the restaurant at night was pretty bad. The staff were really friendly and trying their best, there just wasn't enough of them which mean we waited ages to order and receive our drinks and there was long breaks between courses. The portions were a little small but we were having three courses and what we had was really nice. Good job the company was good!
The service in the bar was really good, the staff were very attentive and when friends complain ed about a drink they swapped it with absolutely no problem.
At breakfast, the cold buffet was excellent but the hot food, although good quality was being put out very slowly as if the kitchen couldnt cope. We asked for veggie sausages and after waiting at the kitchen door for them for ten minutes, we gave up. The staff were trying to cope with the demand of pouring all hot drinks at the table and they couldn't keep up. Self service drinks would have been better as it wss so busy or tea and coffee pots put on the table. All the staff during our stay were a credit to the business.
If we could go again for the same price we would, it made a nice break.

Room Tip: Ask for a complementary upgrade as a condition of booking, they've a lot of rooms to fill.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. I will review your comments with the senior team. I am sorry that there were a couple of delays and that the service in the restaurant did not fully meet expectations. We do look at the staffing levels on a daily basis, so it is disappointing to hear that it fell short on this occasion. I am confident that we will get it right n the future.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed for a family wedding (wedding not at this Hotel) & all 9 of us had a fab time. Excellent rooms & leisure facilities. lovely food, the Hotel is beautiful, staff friendly & helpful a real hidden gem in Accrington.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jan868

Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind words. I will share your feedback with the team.
Kind regards

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed at this hotel as part of a package deal to see a Robbie Willaims concert with Omega travel. At first glance we were very impressed by the look of the hotel and also impressed when we were shown to our room (72), it was a room on it's own at the top of the hotel. Room was a little tired and could do with an update but overall was very clean. Room was larger than we expected and the jacuzzi bath was a suprise even though we never got chance to use it.
We arrived back from the concert after midnight and went straight to our room after a very long evening as we were very tired, however we had no chance of getting to sleep until about an hour later as all we could hear was the music from the wedding below which didn't stop until 1am and then the last of the revellers noisily departed. This didn't bother us too much as we had only been back in the room an hour but I would not have been impressed if I'd have wanted an early night!
Plus points:- The bed was lovely and comfortable, possibly one of the best beds I've slept in in a hotel (when I eventually got to sleep!) and the full english breakfast was lovely and plenty of choice.
Would I visit again?? Yes, but only if I could have a room located away from the wedding reception area.

1  Thank lainey4
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear Guest
Many thanks for providing feedback. You were allocated that room as we thought that the party you were with would be late back to the hotel and would not be overly affected by noise. Unfortunately you arrived back a lot earlier than we anticipated and therefore the musice was still going on. I am sorry that the noise was a problem, but I was pleased to hear that the rest of your experience met with expectations

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed for one night at this hotel, and were somewhat disappointed with the experience. The whole hotel is in need of some refurbishment, as the rooms were somewhat shabby and not what you would expect from a hotel of this type. However, we got it at a good price, hence I have marked it down as average.

I filled in the survey sent to me, and go this response:

'Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh. Your feedback is appreciated.
I agree that there is a need to improve the hotel in certain areas and am pleased to report that the owners of have agreed to invest significantly over the coming months to restore the areas of concern to an appropriate level.'

I guess time will tell if this improvement pans out.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you once again for your continued feedback
Kind regards

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one night as part of a Robbie Williams concert package deal as birthday present for my husband.
We arrived just before our check in time and were given room 18. Having taken our luggage up to the room, which was a good size and clean, we opened the windows as it was a warm afternoon and naturally the room too was warm. However we were concerned by the noise of what we thought were air conditioning units running approx. 6 feet from the window. As we were due to be collected at 15.30 for our journey to the concert venue and not expected to return before midnight, we spoke with a young male staff member in reception expressing our concerns that if the " equipment " was going to be running all night we would find it too noisy to sleep, we were assured that the noise was coming from kitchen fans which would be switched off at approx. 21.00hrs and therefore it would not be troublesome to us. The concert was brilliant and we arrived back to the hotel and our room after midnight to find the units still running, due to the lateness of our return and being tired (as we had travelled approx. 3 hours to the hotel) we did not complain however both myself and my husband didn't sleep well at all as it was like having a tractor running outside of the window, again we needed the windows open as it was warm evening. With hindsight we should have highlighted this problem at the time but felt it too late and we thought we would sleep due to being tired.
There was a wedding party taking place that evening which didn't disturb us at all.

On the plus side the hotel was otherwise lovely and the selection of food at breakfast , particularly for me the fresh fruit was outstanding, my husband enjoyed a full English breakfast.

We may consider a return stay here( most certainly not in room18) as we didn't have time to visit the spa facilities, but would require a better nights sleep.

Room Tip: not room 18
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for the feedback. The extraction fans should have been cut off shortly after 10pm. This clearly was not the case. I am sorry that this caused noise throughout the night. It is a simple process to switch them off, which has been overlooked on this occasion. Please allow me to express my sincere apologies. I will follow up with the team to ensure procedures are followed in the future

Reviewed June 22, 2013

My husband booked this hotel for my daughter and I as part of a package which included overnight stay and coach travel and tickets to see Robbie Williams

I was really excited when we pulled up at the hotel, stunning building, just what we like. Our first point of contact was a brusque receptionist, who seemed to resent us being there. Her manner was offhand, in fact she said to a colleague - "I knew this would happen, everyone would turn up at once" I can only assume that she meant the groups who were also attending the concert. She told us the room was not ready and we could wait in the bar. At this point we had our bags with us and I was wondering whether to put them back in the car. She made no offer to hold them for us and I had to ask if this was possible. Again, this seemed to rile her, as she had to put them in a cupboard and put our name on! Manners cost nothing, and this was not the level of service I would expect from such a place. I asked her about the coach to the concert and her reply was - "That is nothing to do with us" again in a very offhand tone. She was lucky I was in a good mood due to the excitement of the concert or I may have pointed out how rude she was coming across. However, the same could not be said about the other staff, very polite, helpful and friendly. Pity the miserable one was the first one we met. First impressions are everything!

The room itself was part of a courtyard complex and although it contained everything we needed, it was just a little tired and cheap looking. The carpet was stained, the curtains frayed, and the shower head kept falling off. The bed was comfortable and we did sleep well.

Breakfast was excellent, everything you could need. We were stuffed, in fact I couldn't eat anything else all day! The waitress was lovely, bringing us tea and toast to the table.

We had a great time at the concert and although there were bad points to our stay, namely the rude receptionist.... I would stay here again if going to an event. The company who organised the trip were Omega travel, and I can highly recommend them.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TPTWhitleyBay

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience of the hotel. I was disappointed to hear that there were problems experienced on arrival. I will follow this up with the team and ensure that the basics of customer service are re-visited.

I am sorry that this first impression soured your experience a little. Please accept my sincere apologies

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton le Moors
Foxfields Country Hotel
#1 of 1 in Billington
Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club
Stanley House Hotel & Spa

Been to Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!