“So Enjoyable”

Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Reviewed May 2, 2013

An excellent weekend at the Dunkenhalgh. despite the fact that the hotel was full to bursting with Weddings and other events 'ordinary' guests were well looked after by the ever helpful staff. I have rarely stayed in a hotel where the staff were uniformly cheerful, helpful and doing as much as possible to make our stay enjoyable. Our room was comfortable, food and service both very good.

We made full use of the spa facilities over the weekend where everything was just as you would want it to be. We will be back

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for providing such positive feedback. I was delighted to hear that you had such a pleasant experience. I will share your comments with the team and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Ivan Lynch

Write a ReviewReviews (1,553)

Reviewed May 1, 2013

On arrival my partner and I noticed the check in queue was quite large, yet we were greeted by the luggage man who explained that a large wedding party were all checking in together and would we mind having a complementary drink in the bar, which I thought was a nice gesture. our luggage was taken by the staff, and 20 minutes later we received the keys to our room which couldn't have been better located for us smokers, and right next to the bar and restaurant!

The room was nice and warm and the bed was very comfy. shower nice and hot, plenty of fluffy towels and 1 robe, which the staff were more than happy to bring up a 2nd. WIFI (in certain parts of the room) and a great selection of TV & music stations while your getting ready.

The restaurant was very nice, the food was delicious and at reasonable prices for a special occasion. service was great, staff very nice and polite, seemed happy to be there.

The Bar was well stocked, slightly expensive but I suppose in line with hotel prices. a very helpful man working behind there, who knew what he was doing and made suggestions for drinks and cocktails.

The room service was good, bringing water on request at 5am, water in hotel glass bottles which tasted suspiciously tap like, yet was chargeable.

The Breakfast had a great selection of buffet style cereals, breads & Jams, and hot full English items. The queue for this was quite big as there was a wait for Bacon, Beans, Eggs and mushrooms as they had ran out. By the time I had Tea & Coffee/ juice the queue had died down.

The swimming pool was nice and quiet for a relaxing swim in the early evening, quieter at this time, a lot busier in the day and some children.
The steam room was ok but my eyes were stinging after wards. The sauna was nice, the milder sauna was also nice if you like it a little less hot/dry. the aromatherapy room was a bit smelly and could use a few replacement tiles. Plenty of cool ice, water and 2 showers in this area. over all very nice.

The changing rooms were nice with proper hairdryers for women, plenty of private showers and changing space, well maintained by the nice cleaning ladies.
The actual Spa treatment room was down some narrow stairs which should really be sign posted, so your not wandering around in your robe!

my partner and I had booked a double massage and requested a room together, I was told on the phone this was confirmed, yet when we arrived the girls on the desk had no idea of this.
we had 2 treatment slots booked in, and by the time we could have 2 beds in one room there would only be time for 1 treatment each which I was not impressed about, as there seemed to be no one else around and a lot of staff. made my thoughts on this clear, and received apologies. yet no refund for the additional treatments I had paid for.

Overall this was a lovely stay and I would definitely stay here again.

The hotel itself & staff 9/10
The spa & facilities 8/10
Spa staff 5/10
Plenty of parking.(free)

Room Tip: The rooms near the courtyard & Spa are also near the Bar, Restaurant and Smoking area. Also very...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Melanie Q

Reviewed May 1, 2013

A quality hotel in nice grounds, have stayed many times and will continue to come to it. The first time I had stayed in the exexutive wing, quite a walk from reception but well fitted out room could do with a porter for older couples.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed before, and had some hiccups, but what I am confident with in recommending this place is that they are customer focused and will respond to any issues you may have.
That said I find the food above the standard of many hotels. The Cameo bar and adjoining restaurant have a great ambience. Evening meals reasonably priced, good ingredients, well cooked and good presentation. Breakfast is excellent with fresh fruit, varied cereals, and ample hot food for those who can fit it all in.
As we usually stay on a saturday night you normally encounter weddings, and on this occasion there were two. That said the hotel usually endeavours to put you away from the noise of the wedding parties.
The spa facilities can be used on your leaving day, and the saunas /steam rooms and pool are very restful and spacious, and a gym for those who wish to work off the extra pounds. The only criticism of the spa is that you have to exit the hotel, and go through public areas to gain entry
The hotels location is also just a minute from the motorway..
Great friendly attitude from the staff in general. Go and try them out.

Room Tip: The executive rooms(Pendle wing) are worth considering for spaciousness, the bathrobes etc though a...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

My friends husband booked a spa break for two of us and it it did not live up to our expectations.

Sadly the hotel managed to book is into a room in the conference area, which was miles away from the main hotel area and the spa.

Secondly the spa managed not to book in our appointments. The lady who we spoke to at reception in the spa was incredibly rude about this and made out it was our issue even though we'd booked months in advance.

We were not told where to go until after my friends appointment had started and then she was told she would only recurve ten minutes treatment because we were late when we had only been given forms to fill in late and not taken to the downstairs spa area until late.

The downstairs spa area was under manned which meant additional appointments could not be booked.

The facilities in the spa had numerous parts not working and no signs showing this.

On top of this our room had not been made into a twin until we asked and the beds were so uncomfortable we both woke up with terrible back ache not the relaxing spa break we were hoping for.

The only area which was impeccable was the dinning room where the staff were excellent and the good incredible.

Sadly not only were staff elsewhere rude and unhelpful but other little things like no bin in spa toilets and no glasses in the room became more noticeable because the experience was so awful.

Would never ever stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. I was disappointed to hear that there were a number of problems experienced during your stay with us. Please allow me to express my sincere apologies. We do try to accommodate all our guests in the best possible manner. I am sorrry to hear that we failed to meet expectations in terms of your room and more specifically your Spa experience on this occasion. I will share your comments with the team and the Spa in particular and make the appropriate changes to ensure all future guests have a better experience and the mistakes are not repeated. I will also share your complimentary comments with my Restaurant Team.
I hope that we may better serve you in the future.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I got a special offer from the Spa Breaks web site and a twin room for a friend and me was £60.20 each. This included breakfast, a meal in the restaurant with the Table D'Hote menu and a spa treatment.

And what a lovely place. Had a little trouble finding it as the Sat Nav sent us the wrong way but once we got there I was impressed. The crenellated facade is striking but not overly imperious.

Checked in no problem and the room was really nice. It was situated on a courtyard within a short walk of the spa, bar and restaurant. We went straight to the spa as we were running a little late from getting lost (typical!) and although a little like a rabbit warren is well signposted.

We had a perfect back, neck and shoulder massage in a double room which I've never been offered elsewhere I've been and made a nice change being able to chat to my mate and have a giggle.

We then went to the pool and sauna area and that was really good too. There are four hot rooms to choose from a steam room, dry sauna, something in latin I couldn't see properly without my glasses and an aromotherapy room, hot, cold and aromotherapy showers and lots and lots of crushed ice which was a must. The pool was clean and although a little too warm for me, was very good. A nice big jacuzzi at one end of the pool was lovely too, although a bit of consternation as to how you switch it on (it comes on and goes off automatically, by the way!).

The evening meal was really, really good. I can recommend the gnocchi and the chocolate fondant for dessert was sublime. Special mention for the creme brulee too The staff in the restaurant were friendly and helpful and very efficient. Breakfast the next morning was also very good with a good selection of cooked items, cereal, danish and french pastries, cooked meats, fresh and dried fruits and juices which you help yourself to at the buffett. Tea, coffee and toast they bring to your table.

All in all, this was such good value for money that I booked another weekend stay the following week and that was just as good too. I would also recommend booking some extra treatments as these were very good and better than some of the more expensive spa treatments I've had in the past.

Room Tip: Rooms in the courtyard are close to all amenities.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear Guest
Kind regards

Reviewed April 22, 2013

After a complete disaster at this place last year when the room we booked was not available, the experience this time around was much better.
We were a party of 5 people (2 adults and 3 teenage girls) and booked two rooms.
I arrived alone and the reception was friendly. Check-in was 3pm, and as i arrived early, I needed to leave my bags in the storage room. I was allowed to use the gym and pool area.
The rooms we had were at the back of the hotel. We were given rooms near each other. Both rooms were identical. The room was clean, modern and well equipped. The bed was large and very comfortable. We all had good nights sleep.
The bathroom was also great and the shower was powerful.
I visited the gym and found it to be fitted with new machines, all working. Lots of choices of cardio machines, weight machines and free-weights. It really is an excellent gym.
The pool was also very nice and the water lovely and warm. The jacuzzi is on a timer and came on every few minutes. The locker room is also clean and organised. I had a great 3/4 hours in the gym/pool.

The bar area is good. I ordered a burger and it was pretty good. The bar service is also friendly.

Checkout was quick and friendly and the hotel readily accepted my a-club vouchers without issue.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ajt_austria
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I am pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future
Kind regards

Foxfields Country Hotel
#1 of 1 in Billington
Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club
Stanley House Hotel & Spa

Been to Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!