“Terrible experience”

Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
“Terrible experience”
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

My friends husband booked a spa break for two of us and it it did not live up to our expectations.

Sadly the hotel managed to book is into a room in the conference area, which was miles away from the main hotel area and the spa.

Secondly the spa managed not to book in our appointments. The lady who we spoke to at reception in the spa was incredibly rude about this and made out it was our issue even though we'd booked months in advance.

We were not told where to go until after my friends appointment had started and then she was told she would only recurve ten minutes treatment because we were late when we had only been given forms to fill in late and not taken to the downstairs spa area until late.

The downstairs spa area was under manned which meant additional appointments could not be booked.

The facilities in the spa had numerous parts not working and no signs showing this.

On top of this our room had not been made into a twin until we asked and the beds were so uncomfortable we both woke up with terrible back ache not the relaxing spa break we were hoping for.

The only area which was impeccable was the dinning room where the staff were excellent and the good incredible.

Sadly not only were staff elsewhere rude and unhelpful but other little things like no bin in spa toilets and no glasses in the room became more noticeable because the experience was so awful.

Would never ever stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. I was disappointed to hear that there were a number of problems experienced during your stay with us. Please allow me to express my sincere apologies. We do try to accommodate all our guests in the best possible manner. I am sorrry to hear that we failed to meet expectations in terms of your room and more specifically your Spa experience on this occasion. I will share your comments with the team and the Spa in particular and make the appropriate changes to ensure all future guests have a better experience and the mistakes are not repeated. I will also share your complimentary comments with my Restaurant Team.
I hope that we may better serve you in the future.
Yours sincerely,
Ivan Lynch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I got a special offer from the Spa Breaks web site and a twin room for a friend and me was £60.20 each. This included breakfast, a meal in the restaurant with the Table D'Hote menu and a spa treatment.

And what a lovely place. Had a little trouble finding it as the Sat Nav sent us the wrong way but once we got there I was impressed. The crenellated facade is striking but not overly imperious.

Checked in no problem and the room was really nice. It was situated on a courtyard within a short walk of the spa, bar and restaurant. We went straight to the spa as we were running a little late from getting lost (typical!) and although a little like a rabbit warren is well signposted.

We had a perfect back, neck and shoulder massage in a double room which I've never been offered elsewhere I've been and made a nice change being able to chat to my mate and have a giggle.

We then went to the pool and sauna area and that was really good too. There are four hot rooms to choose from a steam room, dry sauna, something in latin I couldn't see properly without my glasses and an aromotherapy room, hot, cold and aromotherapy showers and lots and lots of crushed ice which was a must. The pool was clean and although a little too warm for me, was very good. A nice big jacuzzi at one end of the pool was lovely too, although a bit of consternation as to how you switch it on (it comes on and goes off automatically, by the way!).

The evening meal was really, really good. I can recommend the gnocchi and the chocolate fondant for dessert was sublime. Special mention for the creme brulee too The staff in the restaurant were friendly and helpful and very efficient. Breakfast the next morning was also very good with a good selection of cooked items, cereal, danish and french pastries, cooked meats, fresh and dried fruits and juices which you help yourself to at the buffett. Tea, coffee and toast they bring to your table.

All in all, this was such good value for money that I booked another weekend stay the following week and that was just as good too. I would also recommend booking some extra treatments as these were very good and better than some of the more expensive spa treatments I've had in the past.

Room Tip: Rooms in the courtyard are close to all amenities.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for providing such positive feedback. I was delighted to hear that you had such a pleasant experience. I will share your comments with the team and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future
Wolfsberg, Austria
Reviewed April 22, 2013

After a complete disaster at this place last year when the room we booked was not available, the experience this time around was much better.
We were a party of 5 people (2 adults and 3 teenage girls) and booked two rooms.
I arrived alone and the reception was friendly. Check-in was 3pm, and as i arrived early, I needed to leave my bags in the storage room. I was allowed to use the gym and pool area.
The rooms we had were at the back of the hotel. We were given rooms near each other. Both rooms were identical. The room was clean, modern and well equipped. The bed was large and very comfortable. We all had good nights sleep.
The bathroom was also great and the shower was powerful.
I visited the gym and found it to be fitted with new machines, all working. Lots of choices of cardio machines, weight machines and free-weights. It really is an excellent gym.
The pool was also very nice and the water lovely and warm. The jacuzzi is on a timer and came on every few minutes. The locker room is also clean and organised. I had a great 3/4 hours in the gym/pool.

The bar area is good. I ordered a burger and it was pretty good. The bar service is also friendly.

Checkout was quick and friendly and the hotel readily accepted my a-club vouchers without issue.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ajt_austria
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I am pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed here on 20th April for 1 night. We were cycling from Leeds to Liverpool along the canal over 2 days, and this was our stop off point half way. When we arrived, we were knackered, and were desperate to get into the jacuzzi for a bit after our long ride. We were told that due to a private party, the jacuzzi was closed. The ONLY reason we picked this hotel was because of the jacuzzi. If we were told in advance of this, we would have picked somewhere else.

There were also at least 2 big weddings at the hotel, which made the whole hotel busy and extremely noisy. I don't suppose it's a fault of the hotel that the guests are very noisy, but the walls were not particularly thick! You could hear clearly complete conversations amongst guests in the corridor outside your door, which is very annoying whilst trying to sleep.

Rooms are basic, nothing special. They were clean I suppose which is always a bonus.

The small bar was nice, but busy, and you couldn't really relax with wedding guests coming and going every 2 seconds.

Lots of free parking if you were driving here, but be warned, the surrounding area is awful. No shops within walking distance, and nowhere really to go out for a drink.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. I am sorry that you were unable to use the full facilities. Although there was an event on in the Spa that evening, all the pool and hydrotherapy suites were open as normal to guests until 8pm on Saturday evening. I am sorry if this is not what was communicated to you effectively. I am also disappointed to hear that the local area did not meet your expectations. There are a number of shops and places to eat and drink about a mile up the road from the hotel.

Travelers are raving about these Clayton le Moors hotels

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I attended a Tradeshow here in April and was impressed by the staffs attitude and attentiveness. The hotel lends itself to large parties although it always seems to be getting renovated and some of the public areas look a bit tired. The rooms are OK and quite large and the buffet breakfast and lunch I had where adequate. It is the staff which make this hotel worth staying at. Our party decided to have dinner in the Leisure club and watch some football, the 2 ladies serving us couldnt have done more, even going across to the main bar several times to get the drinks we wanted, really good service with a smile.
The hotel has a large carpark, easy access to the function rooms, and free WiFi although the coverage is patchy and mobile phone reception is poor inside the main hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building of the Hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I was pleased to hear that you had been well looked after during your stay. I will share your comments with the team. With a building the size it is, we are constantly updating and refurbishing certain areas. I hope to see you again next for the event
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here after a midweek football match, as work commitments meant we were in the area anyway.

We checked in after the game, approx 10.30pm and the service upon check-in was terrific. The two guys on reception were bright, friendly, and made the whole process slick and easy - exactly as it should be!!

We stayed in one of the privilege rooms, which was spacious and offered good facilities. The only downside, but not one to affect us on this occasion, was the lack of tea making facilities.

The hotel building is terrific, befitting of an old country house, and the scenery to the rear of the building is beautiful countryside

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. Your comments are appreciated. I hope to welcome you back to the area in the near future
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I'm returning to the hotel for our anniversary, we were married there 10 years ago (which was a perfect day). I booked a privilege room then emailed the hotel to see if I could be allocated the same suite that we had on the night of our wedding. I received a quick response stating the room was available but it wasn't a privilege room and wasn't in the more modern section of the hotel. I was offered a reduction in the room rate if I did want to be allocated the same room. I feared the room might be a little dated 10 years on so I responded to the email asking for an opinion on the room. Again I received another prompt response giving a personal opinion of the room types and I was staggered to find a series of photos taken that day of the privilege room I had been allocated and the room we stayed in 10 years earlier - this was far in excess of anything I could have expected. I would like to thank Natalie for the help she has given me and I hope hotel management read this and recognise the quality of their staff. I will do a further review following our stay but felt I needed to share this level of service!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Guest
Many thanks for your kind feedback. It is pleasing to hear that some of our team are going the extra mile to ensure guests receive the best possible service. I will make sure that Natalie's performance is rewarded.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton le Moors
Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel
Northcote Hotel
Northcote Hotel
#1 of 3 in Langho

Been to Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!