“Nice hotel, poor restaurant service”

Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My colleague and I stayed here on two separate occasions in Feburary 2013 and have therefore experieced several rooms between us. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. The reception staff are friendly and helpful as are the staff in the bar. The leisure facilities were first class and the staff were excellent.

The food in the restaurant was of a very good quality but quite pricey, the service was poor. On one occassion we had to ask to get our order taken as we were effectively being ignored. On another occasion my colleague's glass of wine was brought but mine was not. The staff did not seem to have the common sense to inform us that my wine was unavailable and to offer me an alternative. We had to actually ask where my wine was and then ask to order an alternative. For a formal dining restaurant, I really would have expected better.

On our first stay, my colleague was in room 97 which was located close to the leisure facilities and seemed to be very warm. Although she was provided with an air conditioning unit, it was of no use as there was nowhere to feed the hose for letting the hot air out it was blasting cold air out one side and hot air on the other.

There was a wedding reception midweek during one of our stays. It was fairly noisy but seemed to finish about 11 so did not interupt sleep too much.

Overall, I would stay here again but would avoid eating in the restaurant due to the lack of basic service and common sense that prevailed amongst the staff.

Room Tip: Avoid room 97
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback about the Dunkenhalgh. I was pleased to hear that many aspects of your stay were good. However I was a little disappointed to hear that there were problems experienced in the restaurant service. I will follow this up with the team as an immediate priority. We have recently recruited some new team members, so maybe a little more basic training is required, along with a bit more common sense. Thank you for your comments

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I had a very comfortable 5 night stay at the Dunkenhalgh. The hotel is rather dated and the rooms could do with updating however I did enjoy my stay. The staff are genuinely lovely people, everyone I met was very helpful and pleasant, they made the stay! I was disappointed though that for the last 3 days of my stay, the tea/coffee/milks in the room were not replenished at all.

Room Tip: Request the pendle suite
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I was pleased to hear that your experience was a positive one. I will follow up your comments with the housekeeper in regards to replenishment of the tea and coffee trays. Thank you again for the feedback and I hope to welcome you back to the Duneknhalgh in the future

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Was attending a Corporate event at this Hotel so decided to book a room and stay here. The Staff, Leisure Centre, Food, location etc were all first class. The event we attended was also brilliant and the staff could not do enough for you. What a great time we had.

Room Tip: We had room 73 and it was next to the Leisure centre on one side and next to the Breakfast room on t...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback.in regards to your recent stay. I am pleased to hear that you were looked after in the appropriate manner.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

After staying in the hotel for many months as part of a large booking we have begun to be treated as second class citizens, service in the restaurant is generally ok but have been left for half an hour without an order being taken on occasion, at which point we left for a different restaurant. The showers often take over 10 minutes to get hot, if at all. After having a broken shower we were advised to "shower in the leisure club" which is extremely inconvenient. The portions in the restaurant are laughable considering the price and the quality varies greatly day to day. Overall not a terrible hotel but not as good as the average premier inn, which is half the price.

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank Josh H
h6617_dm, Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. If you would like to discuss the feedback with me further. please contact me during your next stay and I will be pleased to speak with you.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Booked a one night spa reviver break for myself and 8 friends to celebrate a significant birthday. The welcome at Reception was excellent considering the hotel was very busy with a wedding. The Receptionist easily managed to deal with the wedding guests, deliveries and our group at the same time, most impressed. We were given the keys to our rooms and I was pleased with my room, up to date and a smart new bathroom. Unfortunately two of my friend were welcomed by cockroaches in their bathroom, they were however moved to another room and apologies given. The spa itself was really nice, not too busy and the facilities were of a good standard. The food at both dinner and breakfast was excellent however the service at dinner as poor, 8 of us had finished our starters when the last person still did not have theirs and 2 of the party ordered swordfish but were presented with salmon - the swordfish had run out - perhaps it would have been better to mention this at the outset rather than bring something that had not been ordered. We were given a discount on our bill with which we were satisfied. All in all we had a fantastic time, shame about the problems, a little embarrassing when you are organising. I did fill the survey in after our visit and the manager did email to say he would look into the problems we experienced. I have only scored average we did have problems, without the problems I would have said excellent.

Room Tip: The hotel seems to be mid refurbishment, I would check the room you are booking has been refurbished...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank FULWOOD02

Dear Guest
I am sorry that you experienced a couple of problems during what was otherwise an enjoyable stay. I hope that we may better serve you in the future

Reviewed March 9, 2013

We stayed at the Dunkenhalgh whilst visiting family, we have stayed here before and always find it very good, a friendly welcome at reception a nice room great buffet breakfast and they even have a spa, what more could you ask. There is also a very freindly relaxing bar area.
Alltogether a great stay. We booked through Trivago for £59.

Room Tip: If you get a room near the Spa you can just walk over in your dressing gown for a pamper.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Your comments are very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stay here regularly because of location convenience for work, sometimes the rooms are good but often they are very dated and a bit dingy. The restaurant food is ok but very expensive for what it is. Mixed vegetables seem to be carrots. The gym flooded whilst i was there which is also one of the reasons i stayed here. The spa is very good with really good saunas and steam rooms. overall very inconsistant and the majority needs updating.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you have not got more positive comments about the hotel. We are in the process of updating some areas of the hotel, including bedrooms and public areas. This is an ongoing process. I hope you may have better experiences in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton le Moors
Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel
Best Western Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf Club
Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club
Stanley House Hotel & Spa

Been to Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!