All reviews afternoon tea gold room in great condition lovely building soup leisure facilities my mum dance floor evening meal couldn't fault health club food was lovely great night christmas party a lovely stay full english breakfast excellent value for money
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

arrived very late, tried to contact the night manager with no luck, so I checked myself in - no problem and had a good night's sleep. excellent breakfast in the morning and had a quick look around at the facilities - looks very nice. might well return and i'll try to arrive earlier next time.

• Stayed: October 2018, traveled on business
1  Thank Keith P
RoxanneG379, Public Relations Manager at Shaw Hill Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Keith

Thank you for your review, I am confused as to the whereabouts of the night manager but pleased to know you enjoyed your stay.
We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed October 8, 2018

I remember Shaw Hill from my childhood - it was a grand golf club which exuded an elegant, exclusive feel. Unfortunately, when my husband and I visited this weekend, it was clear that nothing has changed since my childhood, some forty odd years ago. The decor is faded grandeur - huge swagged curtains, cracked leather chairs, grecian frescos in the spa. We felt like we were on the set of Dallas!
Our bedroom, which was along musty-smelling corridors at the back of the House next to the cleaners' cupboards, overlooked kitchens and backyards. It was furnished with old and tatty bits. A bedside lamp almost fell apart when I switched it on. A wardrobe shook noisily whenever we walked across the room. The bathroom looked like one in my Mother's care home.
We had a bar meal, from a very limited menu. My husband's burger was raw in the middle. Breakfast was fine, the next day, though nothing special.
We paid £135 for B&B, so not extravagant, but we would definitely have expected better than this. I would advise people to ignore the 4* TripAdvisor rating, and opt for a cheaper, and more reliable, Premier Inn or similar.

• Stayed: October 2018, traveled as a couple
2  Thank judypatt2018

Dear Judy

We are disappointed in your review of Shaw Hill and whilst we respect your opinion we cannot accept the comments as fact.
The hotel has indeed been updated frequently over the past 40 years in keeping with its historic and grade II listed nature. Granted this may not be to your taste.

The room you stayed in fact was not next to the housekeeping cupboards, however if it were I don't understand why that affects your stay. Having checked the room following your review, I disagree again with your feedback, the furniture is matching and the room décor has quite clearly been recently updated.

I cannot comment on the meal you received during your stay, however serving undercooked food is not normal of our standards and our food in generally excellent.

All feedback from our guests is taken on board and we work hard to ensure our standards are improved, whilst we disagree on this occassion we thank you nevertheless for the feedback.

Reviewed October 6, 2018

For starters there is a great golf course, really good condition, challenging but fair, with some super holes over water. Rooms are well decorated, spacious and spotless. Staff all really friendly. The best aspect though is the food. Excellent local ingredients, very reasonably priced, and very fine dining standard, easily equivalent to Box Tree at its best (IMHO...). Jack was a great front of house, couldn't ask for more. Particularly enjoyed Goats Cheese Millefeuille with Beetroot, very clever disc, expertly executed, delicious. Grounds are beautiful as well, very well kept.

• Stayed: October 2018, traveled on business
RoxanneG379, Public Relations Manager at Shaw Hill Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2018

Thank you for the glowing review Paul! We hope to have you come and stay with us again soon.
From all of us at Shaw Hill

Reviewed October 2, 2018

Experience wasn't good.
When we finally got our room, it was freezing cold, had no windows only a small sky light, the bed was the most shocking I've slept on, very small double, springs had gone, both me and my partner sunk into the bed, I didn't sleep a wink! I had to drive back to London the next day which wasn't good being so tired.
The room was freezing as it was controlled remotely by reception, I had to call up 3 times to get it turned back on, couldn't even have a shower as the room was too cold. Also prob why the room smelt of damp.
The TV remote didn't work, although when asked the lady at reception dropped off some new batteries.
I informed the staff at reception about our room in the morning, they replied saying the room usually wasn't given to guests however, because it was so busy they opened them up! I'm sorry but that room should never be used, I've stayed in better back packers than that. I was still charged over £100 for our troubles also absolutely disgusted!
The hotel was quite nice, however the room completely let this place down, I'm still getting over my bad back now!
It's a shame we wasted our time travelling up from London! No wedding there, this room has cost them thousands of pounds

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel terrible
  • Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John M
RoxanneG379, Public Relations Manager at Shaw Hill Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2018

Thank you for the review, I am very sorry to learn that you were not happy with the experience staying at Shaw Hill Golf & Spa Hotel.

In response to your comments, our rooms are all unique in shape, size and orientation due to the grade 2 listed nature of the building. We have worked hard to ensure the rooms have character, I understand the room you were assigned to was not to your liking and apologise you found the bed uncomfortable.

Since your departure I have checked the heating in the room and found it to be working, and from time to time TV remotes will require new batteries.

The charge for the room on the night of your stay was competitive to surrounding hotels and market value.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed October 2, 2018 via mobile

We had a lovely stay at Shaw Hill last month. The hotel itself is beautiful and the grounds are stunning. We stayed in a suite which had an amazing view over the golf course. The room was so lovely, peaceful and quiet and we had a great night sleep. The breakfast was very well presented and very tasty. All the staff were extremely professional, polite and welcoming. We would highly recommend to others and look forward to staying again (hopefully we will have chance to use the leisure facilities and spa next time).

Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for the fantastic review, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.
We hope to welcome you back again soon.
From all of us at Shaw Hill Golf & Spa Hotel